Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a really boring road trip coming up, so I put on a brand new set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires (speed rating W) so I could see what the 07 Azzy could do.

Unfortunately I was loaded down with a lot of cargo, or she might have done a bit better. This was at ~4200ft elevation with 87 octane fuel and 5w20 synthetic oil. She & the tires were surprisingly true & quiet at 148mph. I started accelerating from 80mph on a flat segment. Once I hit 145, it was taking many seconds to get each additional mph.

So what other top speed experiences have people had with the Azera? And, does anyone have suggestions for some of the safest stretches of road on which to try such foolishness?

[Safety note: This was on a divided highway with 200+ feet of sand between me & oncoming traffic. I did this with a clear 8-mile straightaway ahead of me, no cars visible between me & the horizon, and culminating in a long uphill stretch which stayed straight as a ruler. The speed and brake fade are scary enough under those circumstances; I would never think of passing another vehicle or taking even a really tame curve at such speeds.]

·
Registered
747 Posts
When I still had it, I hit triple digits a few times passing semi's on 2 lane rural highways. It was ok at high speeds on a smooth road. My new car is vastly superior at speed and on unsettled surfaces though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
140mph on the speedometer and 138mph confirmed on the navigation system on an emergency trip to the hospital. My husband was driving and the car felt like we were driving 55mph. It accelerated very fast and we passed everyone like they were standing still. The car handled very well. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I'd be careful about this foolishness. If my four cylinder Sonata can hit 100 mph without trying and the mechanic tells me the V6 will do 160 mph I believe him. The Azera 3.8 should easily hit that speed but are your tires up to that speed? I might try this out in Wyoming or Montana but not in any kind of traffic. As far as I'm concerned it has too much power for most people to safely handle. Just my $0.02.

That cargo weight and altitude almost certainly limited your speed.

There was a race I watched on my VCR several years ago on a stretch of road out west where modified cars participated in a road race for speed. As hard as it is to believe the winner achieved about 198 mph. But a couple were killed when their vehicle ran off the road out in the desert somewhere. As one who survived a serious auto accident when I rolled a car while drag racing no one here wants to be in an auto accident ever. It is not something I ever want to experience again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear you, and agree. My tires are literally brand new & rated for 168+, and I actually *was* in the general Wyoming area when I maxed; hit 130-something in WY, but there wasn't a straight empty stretch long enough for me to feel comfortable holding the pedal down longer than that. In a neighboring state, I finally had "that stretch," where I wouldn't have to steer or brake for a good 8 miles, and had an uphill "backstop" at the end, all devoid of other traffic, animals... anything.

This was kind of a once-in-a-lifetime thing for me. Usually I'm an 8-over kind of guy; set the cruise control for that in ideal conditions, and slow down to the limit on curves & hills & such.

Anyone else who tries this, do beware: with the right tires, the Azera does *handle* smoothly at these speeds (120mph+), but wind has a phenomenally stronger pull, so don't try it in high-wind areas, and in any event, keep both hands firmly on the wheel at 10 and 2, even if you're usually a one-handed driver like me. Otherwise, what would be a mild little gust at 85 will have you 3/4 out of your lane at 125. You will not be able to swerve to avoid an animal, nor deal with another vehicle drifting into your lane when you overtake them faster than they can notice. Also, it will be downright surprising how ineffective your brakes are at these speeds. They do nothing except pull you to one side a bit, and I had mine inspected right before this trip; they had 75+% left all around and pretty even wear. So do not do this in any situation where there's even a remote possibility that you'd need to stop or slow down before you planned on it; when you get back down to 100 or so, you'll have brakes again (provided you didn't dramatically overheat them before). If you plan on driving at 100mph+ more than a couple times, get slotted disks and ceramic pads; they can handle the heat without fading so fast.

I'm sorry to hear about your rollover accident. How did it happen?

QUOTE (rmissourimule @ Sep 21 2010, 11:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357897
I'd be careful about this foolishness. If my four cylinder Sonata can hit 100 mph without trying and the mechanic tells me the V6 will do 160 mph I believe him. The Azera 3.8 should easily hit that speed but are your tires up to that speed? I might try this out in Wyoming or Montana but not in any kind of traffic. As far as I'm concerned it has too much power for most people to safely handle. Just my $0.02.

That cargo weight and altitude almost certainly limited your speed.

There was a race I watched on my VCR several years ago on a stretch of road out west where modified cars participated in a road race for speed. As hard as it is to believe the winner achieved about 198 mph. But a couple were killed when their vehicle ran off the road out in the desert somewhere. As one who survived a serious auto accident when I rolled a car while drag racing no one here wants to be in an auto accident ever. It is not something I ever want to experience again.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I was young and stupid and it happened in 1959 when I was 16. A classmate in high school continually taunted me to drag race his flat head Ford with my 1951 Oldsmobile "Rocket 88." So one winter night we did just that. I rounded a slight curve and there was ice on the road. I went into the ditch, flipped end over end and my brother flew out of the car landed 250 feet away through a grove of trees just missing landing in the Meramac River near St. Louis. I was thrown out of the car and it came to rest on top of me with just barely enough room to expand my lungs to breathe as I was in a depression by the road. In those days seat belts were not even discussed and of course we went flying every which way. My brother got a concussion and 37 stitches in his forehead and I got a chipped tooth. It wasn't our time to go. Last time I looked at the speedometer it was pegged. I managed to swallow about a 1/2 quart of oil and the battery acid dripped down and ruined my new suede jacket. I looked a mess at the hospital. My dad lifted the car off me and we were taken away in one of those old fashioned ambulances like you would have seen in "The Godfather". Spent three days in the hospital but I'm still kicking coming up on 67 years old. I had nightmares for years as I relived this in the quiet of the night. Never did tell my father what I was doing that night. I was dealt a royal flush that night. The saving grace is that it was not a head on collision which is indeed the kiss of death. Mine was mainly a rollover but by all rights it should have killed us at that speed. Pure craziness on the part of kids of that age group 51 years ago coming up in December.

QUOTE (Paul Smith @ Sep 22 2010, 02:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357936
I hear you, and agree. My tires are literally brand new & rated for 168+, and I actually *was* in the general Wyoming area when I maxed; hit 130-something in WY, but there wasn't a straight empty stretch long enough for me to feel comfortable holding the pedal down longer than that. In a neighboring state, I finally had "that stretch," where I wouldn't have to steer or brake for a good 8 miles, and had an uphill "backstop" at the end, all devoid of other traffic, animals... anything.

This was kind of a once-in-a-lifetime thing for me. Usually I'm an 8-over kind of guy; set the cruise control for that in ideal conditions, and slow down to the limit on curves & hills & such.

Anyone else who tries this, do beware: with the right tires, the Azera does *handle* smoothly at these speeds (120mph+), but wind has a phenomenally stronger pull, so don't try it in high-wind areas, and in any event, keep both hands firmly on the wheel at 10 and 2, even if you're usually a one-handed driver like me. Otherwise, what would be a mild little gust at 85 will have you 3/4 out of your lane at 125. You will not be able to swerve to avoid an animal, nor deal with another vehicle drifting into your lane when you overtake them faster than they can notice. Also, it will be downright surprising how ineffective your brakes are at these speeds. They do nothing except pull you to one side a bit, and I had mine inspected right before this trip; they had 75+% left all around and pretty even wear. So do not do this in any situation where there's even a remote possibility that you'd need to stop or slow down before you planned on it; when you get back down to 100 or so, you'll have brakes again (provided you didn't dramatically overheat them before). If you plan on driving at 100mph+ more than a couple times, get slotted disks and ceramic pads; they can handle the heat without fading so fast.

I'm sorry to hear about your rollover accident. How did it happen?

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Like the sonata, this car seems to have good top end speed...torque is pretty flat and linear which is great for open road at wot / pedal-mashing

For some reason though, I feel like my Sonata is a bit faster....but i haven't had this car long enough to figure out all the kinks.

i have a bad O2 sensor right now that could be why it's not as responsive as of now.

I haven't done anything over 130 because these bran new tires the dealers put on it are down right trash.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts