Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I just recently purchased a 2015 Hyundai Azera Limited with 36,000 miles (for 17,500 if you must know) and set out to make myself familiar with the engine, cabin parts, and just general maintainence info. However, the drawback to having a unique car like the azera, is that there is very minimal repair videos, engine diagrams, service manuals, etc. online unlike you would get with, for example, a Sonata

I didn't find out much info Online so I figured the forums would be my best bet. My questions really consist of three parts. First off, what should I do in general mileage based maintenence for this car. From my research, I am planning to change oil and filter every 7500/6mon, transmission fluid every 40,000 miles, power steering and brake fluid every 3-4 years, differential fluid every 30,000 miles, Pcv valve every 4 years, rotate tires every 6months, add Tehcron Complete fuel system cleaner every 6 months since it is the same as the hyundai stuff but cheaper, replace air filter every 30,000 miles, cabin filter every 15,000 miles, coolant every 120,000 miles and finally spark plugs every 100,000 miles. Is this a good schedule, is there anything I should change or add?

My second question regards the location of the PCV and it would probably be beneficial to learn the placements of other parts and diagrams and such. I figured since the car is now 4 years old, it would be good to check and clean or even replace the PCV valve, however finding it has given me quite the difficult task. If anyone with this car or a car with the same Lambada 2 GDI engine knows this location or has a decent schematic, it would be much appreciated

And finally third, how much does the Hyundai Dealership charge for an oil filter change. Are they relaitvely competitve or overpriced like everything else at a dealership. If the price is competitive, I would rather go there than Carmax or walmart where they might pull some sneaky stuff like not changing the filter, using cheaper oil, etc.

Thanks for any answers in advance. I hope my fellow hyundai owners know more about this than me :)
I did post this to the new members forum, but figured I might as well repost it here

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
The owners manual and service manual is available free at http://www.hgmanual.com/fifth_generation_hg_2011_year_-5.html

Check the owners manual for the correct scheduled maintenance based on whether you drive normal or severe service. Some of your assumptions are wrong. There is no power steering fluid on an electric steering vehicle. The differential is integral to the transmission, so there's no separate differential fluid replacement. If you stick to top-tier gas, there is no need for adding Techron. You don't need to change AT fluid unless you drive severe service, and then it's every 60,000 miles. After the initial coolant change at 10 years or 120,000 miles, subsequent changes are at every 2 years or 30,000 miles.

The PCV valve service is at http://www.hgmanual.com/positive_crankcase_ventilation_pcv_valve_repair_procedures-619.html

If you want a lot more detail, sign up for a week athttps://www.hyundaitechinfo.com/ and print to PDF all manuals for your Azera's model year. It will take a while to get them all printed to PDF, but a week should easily do it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh okay, I'll be honest I didnt really know that there was such a thing as electrical power steering. Also I just looked it up and realized top tier didnt mean 93 or 91 gas, but gas from certain stations so I guess I dont need the techron. For the transmission fluid, I do a lot of short daily driving, I live in kinda a slow speed many stop city, so I technically drive severe according to the manual. Thanks for answering and providing some diagrams, It is a great help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Welcome,
I also got an used Azera 2015 with 43k about 2.5 years ago, about same price, only not limited, but I had mfg warranty for another 17k miles :p knock on wood, did not need it.
I'm an engineer but to my shame I hate to act as a mechanic. Still, changing the oil for the Azera is one of the things I like to do every 5000, buy the oil from amazon (~20 for amazon basics or Castrol full synth) and same for filters. Lately I'm using Bosch 72270W because they are only about $6 and they work great! And because I learned how to do it, now I'm doing the other two Hyundai's from the household, still Azera it's the easiest. A Fumoto valve will make this job a walk in the park while sipping a cold beer.

Please pardon my ignorance, but when do you need to replace the PCV valve?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome,
I also got an used Azera 2015 with 43k about 2.5 years ago, about same price, only not limited, but I had mfg warranty for another 17k miles :p knock on wood, did not need it.
I'm an engineer but to my shame I hate to act as a mechanic. Still, changing the oil for the Azera is one of the things I like to do every 5000, buy the oil from amazon (~20 for amazon basics or Castrol full synth) and same for filters. Lately I'm using Bosch 72270W because they are only about $6 and they work great! And because I learned how to do it, now I'm doing the other two Hyundai's from the household, still Azera it's the easiest. A Fumoto valve will make this job a walk in the park while sipping a cold beer.

Please pardon my ignorance, but when do you need to replace the PCV valve?
I'm not a mechanic, but from what I have heard it is good to check,clean and or replace the pcv valve every 3 to 4 years. To check it from what I know, if it makes a rattle noise when you shake it and you can only blow through one end, it is still good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm not a mechanic, but from what I have heard it is good to check,clean and or replace the pcv valve every 3 to 4 years. To check it from what I know, if it makes a rattle noise when you shake it and you can only blow through one end, it is still good.
Do you have a part # for the PCV Valve?
I checked hyundaipartsdeal and they say 26740-3C200 but amazon and ebay have different opinion about this fit... in other words they say it it will not fit :( I'm tempted to believe that amazon is bad: they say that https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Hyundai-26740-3C200-PCV-Valve/dp/B00BJMDENI does not fit 2015 Azera... but I'd like to hear another opinion.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Changed the PCV Valve in wife's Sonata... that has 120k miles... was still working, but the new one really makes a difference!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great, hopes things go well. As far as i know, an old or broken PCV can burn oil and cause problems so changing it out every now and then can always help

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did anyone replace the PCV valve on the Azera?
Is it me or it is placed in an awkward position at the back of the engine, hard to reach?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just got a 2014 Hyundai Azera Silver Base Model w/ 41,400 miles and am Lovin it.
My main question was about the ECO mode? I can feel it keeping the RPMs down when putting around town and figure it's great for Interstate driving but whats the cost? Am I stressing out my electrical system in ECO mode? I have to use the AC almost constantly in FL so not sure what's best. Notice in limited sample that ECO mode got me about 2 mpgallon.
I wonder what I can try to prevent next? Battery looks new and engine is super clean. Is the Advanced Auto Parts free check worth doing? Luckily the previous owner lived nearby and serviced it at a big Hyundai Dealer so I hope I can get the original records. I don't want to pay high prices for easy stuff, but I'm not set up to pull engine or transmission.
Anyway glad to be around other Azera owners and any help/advice would be great. Just random thoughts below:
-Does 87, 89, or 93 Octane make any difference?
-What gas station has best gas?
-Additives are controversial but I added Liquid Moly engine and Fuel additive but it was just on 1st new tank and oil change.
-Heard SeaFoam and Lucas are good fuel additives but usually try to avoid.
-Can I add an air intake or other performance parts?
I don't want to make it look crazy or add Spoiler to it but would like to improve it in any ways I can. I got the time.
-Does anyone know if I get any of the original warranty other than crappy one that my dealer gave me?
-Not sure how much Onstar and/or Bluelink are as a 2nd owner either.
-Should I get one of those scanner chips or OBTS thingies?
-Saw some chips or boxes that promise performance, but never used one nor do I know I how to install it.

I've been running the mailman crazy with orders from Amazon.
I initially got:
1 New Cabin Filter
1 New Air Filter (engine)
6 quarts Platinum 5w-30 Full Synthetic Oil (Penz or Valv.?)
Pro-Guard oil filter
2 Front brake pads Wearever Platinum Pro Ceramic
6 NGK Laser Iridium Premium plugs
1 Amazon Echo Auto
CD mounted Phone Holder
Sun shield for Front Window
Premium Car Cover
Small Cabin Ozone generator
Way too many other small things to list......

I've already changed the oil and filters and hooked up the phone and Amazon Alexa / Sirius XM stuff but still need to change plugs and put front pads on. Got some great Goodyear Eagle Sport tires (Nitrogen) and 18" rims.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just got a 2014 Hyundai Azera Silver Base Model w/ 41,400 miles and am Lovin it.
Just use ECO mode if you like, there's no stress;
I always put 87 from Costco or Kroger...
I do not add any additives and mine is 2015 with over 80K
No SeaFoam or others...
I think your original warrany is "5yrs or 60K miles" - do the math.
I have a cheap OBDII in my car, but so far I never got the check engine on Azera or Sonata.
If you do your oil change I'd recommend a Fumoto Valve. Usually I get Castrol GTX Magnatec or AmazonBasics full synth - whichever is cheaper when ordering :) Oil filter: Bosch 72270WS for about $7-$8. Change every 5K or 3mo, usually the first.
Still have not changed the brakes.
I wanted to change the plugs, but Hyundai recommends to do so at 105k miles... so pass on that!
Because I'm vaping in the car I got WellVisors For Hyundai Azera 12-16 Sleek HD Side Window Visor Smoke Chrome Trim from ebay - well worth IMHO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for info. Looking at those Well Visors but will go with smoke/black colored ones though (Car is Silver) . I like the look of the OEM mudguards and was also surprised at all the coatings and even temperary paint I saw at auto store. Wonder if flex seal spray or similar application would keep under-body panels new or at least in better shape.
Also bought a black Silicone license plate holder and a classy "See you in Valhalla" sticker to cover up dealership label.
Anyone know if I can do anything about muffler tips? They are pretty grimy looking and not ez to clean. Not sure about room to access tips for replacing anyway.
I don't want to do too much, but love the car so far and just wanna prevent the next big thing.
I have tons of time and tools but last time I really worked on cars was the 90's which was maybe worst decade for iconic cars. Now there is so much computer control that I'll need to pony up for a good diagnostic tool.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@Omelette: so, did you change the PCV valve?
Sorry it took me so long to respond. I went to the dealership recently for an oil change and asked if they could do it. They didn't have the part availible and said that they reccomend changing it every 60,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts