Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Not sure if this post should be added to the Elantra "clunking" one, but my car has the clunk whenever I shift into gear (I have a manual) at low speeds and in low gears. Brought the car into the dealership and they think it's the front axles. Had one replaced (as they thought it was the passenger side axle) and clunk is still there. Went in to have the second one replaced, but part was not right. Waiting on the new part to arrive this week.

Thoughts? Axle? I honestly think it's tranny or gear related.:mad:

Other than that, the car has been ok. I am going to work on sound deadening this week, getting my front strut bar installed and doing some research about the rear suspension.

I regret not getting the front end protected as the summer was brutal on the hood.

·
22,793 Posts
I regret not getting the front end protected as the summer was brutal on the hood.
Not a preferred mod by most, but the Auto Ventshade hood deflector on mine paid for itself this year. I've had zero paint chips up there. Even after a brutal 3,000 mile round tripper to the coast behind multiple convoys of tractor trailers.

Found one heck of a scratch (new) on the deflector last week while detailing the exterior. This one was new. Whatever made that kind of scarring would have done some serious cosmetic harm to Ingrid's hood. It saved the day, IMO! Best $37 I ever spent on Amazon (free shipping, too)!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Since you have already seen the garage, I'd put some trust into what they'll find.

Though not really clear of your front end "clunk" noise, a recent thread covering the subframe bushings is worth checking out. Others have also had warranty repair to the axle washers. Most probable the dealer has already ruled the washers out as suspect.

Rear end mods? :confused: :laughing:
My 2 highest recommendations, each one not to be overlooked

1. KYB rear shocks, to replace the stock units
2. Sway/Torsion Bar, add on installation

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not a preferred mod by most, but the Auto Ventshade hood deflector on mine paid for itself this year. I've had zero paint chips up there. Even after a brutal 3,000 mile round tripper to the coast behind multiple convoys of tractor trailers.

Found one heck of a scratch (new) on the deflector last week while detailing the exterior. This one was new. Whatever made that kind of scarring would have done some serious cosmetic harm to Ingrid's hood. It saved the day, IMO! Best $37 I ever spent on Amazon (free shipping, too)!

Link to the ventshade?

·
22,793 Posts
It's a simple install, the auto ventshade. Held in place by 4 plastic screws/anchors (included). You pull the four corresponding rubber tabs out of the holes that secure the rubber gasket under the hood. Slip the plastic anchors in those holes, slide the deflector between the hood and the gasket. Insert plastic screws. Done.

BTW, does anyone hold components together with real metal fasteners, anymore? LOL

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:

Had the front axles replaced and the clunk is gone. Also had a set of 17" Limited wheels installed which made a difference is handling. I was glad to note how quiet the ride was considering some report that the larger wheels and lower profile tires tend to be noticeably louder on the roads.

Will check in periodically to update you all on the clunk fix.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts