Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,

I took the 2011 Sonata for a test drive and, much to my surprise, I didn’t like it.

I’m still looking for something comfy and quiet – and there’s really not much else that interests me. So, I’m thinking of going with a used Sonata.

My local dealership has a 2009 GLS *Hyundai certified* with 6000 miles on it and is asking $13K, which sounds like a good deal to me. Plus it’s the color I want. What do you think? Good deal?

I use to follow the Sonata quite closely, but kinda got away from it the last couple years – busy with life.

I’m not one to make snap decisions and usually research like crazy and am extra cautious… but I’m afraid I might lose this car at this price… I’ve been reading the 4th gen forum like crazy tonight, but can you give me a quick crash course please:
1—How’s the new interior holding up? How is it squeaks and rattles wise?
2—I remember everyone complaining about the gas mileage with the 4 cyl. Did things improve with the new engine and tranny in 2009?
3—How’s the new 5 speed auto, introduced for 2009?
4—Anything else I need to know, that you can think of? Any long standing unresolved issues in the 2009s? Any reliability issues?

PS: I currently have an insanely reliable 2002 Elantra. I mean, I've beat the living daylights out of this thing and it's in fabulous condition. I think I've put a total of like $200 in repairs in it, ever (not including maintenance items). I’m a big Hyundai fan and if I go with the Sonata I hope it is just as reliable.

Much Thanks,

-Nathan

·
Registered
43 Posts
IMO, $13K on a 2 yo Sonata is no deal. Got my 09 on 1/1/09 for $16.4 OTD.

My 4 cyl will get almost 40mpg on level highway. Other than stiff suspension & some creaks from the vents it has been great.

$15K OTD for a NEW 2010 is about right IMO. It is a model year old. Shop around.

·
Registered
237 Posts
^^^^

I'm that guy :)

While I think the new Sonata is gorgous, I didn't like the low roof line on the rear doors. I have two kids in car seats so stooping in there to buckle them up would have gotten old fast. Price was also a factor since I was trying to get into a sub 200 dollar payment. The 2011's are just too HOT right now to have big rebates anytime in the forseable future.

2500 miles on the car now and I am only getting 1mpg less than the 05 elantra it replaced in my normal driving. The only quirk has been creaking of the vents when cranking up the AC after being parked in the sun. (Ducumented elsewhere on the forum.) It stops quickly enough so I'm over it. If you think it might bother you, make sure you get in the hot car and run the AC instead of letting the sales guy 'cool it off for you' before the test drive.

There are lots of used NF's out there because many were rental fleet cars so you should be able to get good prices. I wanted new because of the 10/100k powertrain warranty only applies to new owners. If you can find a color / option combo you like within a reasonable distance I would try that route.

Either way I'm happy.

·
Banned
792 Posts
My mom has a 2002 Elantra. Very solid car, so far. My '06 Sharona has held up very well, interior-wise, paint-wise, and power train-wise. The '09 should only be better, since the platform has been out for a while. Same could be said for the '05 Sonata. That thing must be bullet-proof. I like the '06 front end best of all, but the interior is getting old. A '09 would be the best of both worlds. I like the '11's, for the most part. The trunk hinges got cheaped out, though. I like my pistons. The '09 should serve you well.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
The 06-10 Sonatas have been very solid cars. Only a few niggling problems, no widespread
engine or transmission problems I have heard of. They seem to be aging gracefully. I'm
starting to hear about some passing the 100K mark with very few issues.

I'm in the 2010 camp. There are still a few new ones out there. They're great cars and dirt cheap.

If you're bent on the used 09, I think you can do better than 13K. Surely they'll go down.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK guys, here’s the deal:

Took a new 2010 GLS for a drive after work. Liked it MUCH more than the 2011.

Things I noticed:
* Quieter than the 2011 by a long shot.
* Ride was very, very soft… a wee bit too soft. I wish the ride was a hair firmer… more like the 2011
* Steering was vague and light. It felt like the tires were over inflated. I almost took the pressure when we got back at the dealership, but the salesman didn’t want me to bother – he said that was normal, although he wasn’t driving the car, so I’m reluctant to believe him.
* It didn’t handle taking off from a near stop that well, at least when cold – not sure about when warmed up. For example, if I was slowing down to a light, and almost stopped, BUT the car wasn’t in 1st gear yet, then the light turned green and I accelerated, it jerked pretty badly shifting into first. Like the tranny wasn’t ready. I’ve owned other cars like this before; not the end of the world. But my 02 Elantra doesn’t do that. I can stop quickly (or slowly), and accelerate immediately and the tranny is ready.

Sooo…. PRICING...!!

Well, much to my surprise they were not very willing “to deal”. All they had were super stripped down GLSes, and one Limited V6. I wanted a GLS with the popular equipment package, preferably. Not an absolute deal breaker, but would have made parting with my money A **** OF A LOT EASIER.

But when I asked the salesman about getting a car from another dealership he said “no – we have all of them”. Uhhh wow. Does he think I’m stupid?

Anyway, they started with a good price out of the gate, but were totally unwilling to negotiate from there. Which was $16,450 (before any fees, taxes, etc). They marked the car down to $18950 and then took the 2500 rebate off of that. My guess is that 18950 is invoice, but I haven’t had a chance to check yet.

I told him people online are getting them at $15K (which could have even included the popular equipment package, for all I know) and offered 14500. He wouldn’t even present 14500 to the finance-decision-maker-guy. He did ask about 15K, but said it was a long shot. He came back and said $16450 was as low as they could go (their first and only offer), UNLESS Hyundai gave the dealership a better incentive to get rid of them *by the end of the month*.

I told him we’re pretty much at the end of the month **already**, but to call me if that happens. Then thanked him for his time.

…and that was pretty much it.

No “claws” came out on either side of the negotiating table. It was a pleasant experience… BUT MAN… they were NOT willing to negotiate or work for me on pricing, at all. Wow.

I’m not in totally ga-ga over the car (mostly the exterior styling), but it’s pretty darn close to what I’m looking for and should be reliable transportation for the next 10 years – which would be pretty sweet, especially at an awesome price. And admittedly, the price they offered is fair.

BUT it’s last year's model !! It would seem like if you’re gonna get the deal of the century (about the only way I can bring myself to spend money on a car), it would be in a situation like this. And they just didn’t seem like they wanted to deal.

There are lots of dealerships around here, so I guess if I want one at $15K I have to spam the internet sales departments OR look for the ads in the papers.

I would think I can get lower than $16450, wouldn’t you? I mean, I realize they gotta eat. But they also gotta move cars too. I don’t want to screw anyone, but I’m PRETTY confident they are going to sell some cars cheaper than that to someone.

I just want to be that someone. That’s all I’m ask’in.

heh

= )

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Rememeber that most of the guys here live in US and might find expensive our pricing. Canadians always pay a lot more for the same thing.

Otherwise, 2009-2010 are at the appogee of the NF style. the I4 is more fuel efficient, trans is 5 speed, complete new interior. I sold my 2007 V6 for a 2010 I4, it's not the same car all all.

I think a GLS 2009 for 13K Can is a fair price... not a deal.

Charles

·
Registered
237 Posts
Just for clarification... my deal was a just a plain jane gls. Local dealer had one left with one of those screamer ads in the paper with a super price that only applies to a particular stocknumber. Color on that one was a deal breaker so I took started searching online for an identical car in an acceptable color combo and asked them to price match. The hard part is being able to show the 'other dealer's' price so they don't think you are full of it.

A month ago the 2010's in any acceptable color combo were getting pretty rare. I think there were maybe 10 in a 100 miles of here. Only one was blue (my top chioce). Two were black and the rest were just plain ugly.

Broaden your search radius and perhaps you will find someone more willing to 'deal'. I had to travel to the furthest one out (over an hour away from the more metropolitan sharks) for mine.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If anybody's looking for a great deal on a 2010 Sonata, it may pay them to cruise out east. Our local Hyundai dealer has so many 2010 Sonatas, they're not even bothering to advertise any of their other cars in the paper (they have five franchises total). Our company just payed under $16KUS for one, and we got some knocked off at the last minute because the "Popular Equipment Group" has those those chrome strips at the bottom of the window that were already rusted so bad they looked like they belonged on my '84 Ford pickup.
BTW, anyone know where I can pick up some plain black bottom-of-the-window thingies without going to my local dealer's parts dept. Last time I tried to buy a wiper motor there, I opened the box and it was a water pump, and I've spent a year trying to get them to get me the right part. In their defense, the last four parts I've picked up have at last been wiper motors for something, just not my car.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ummm wow.

So, the dude gave me a call back; wants me to stop in and talk price now. I decided I would go in tomorrow. But I stopped by the dealership after they had all left and looked the 2010s over real good. I wanted to pick the actual car I might go with, ahead of time.

Anyhoo...

All I can say is, Hyundai, and the people in Alabama who built the 2010 Sonatas, should be ASHAMED of themselves.

EVERY

SINGLE

ONE

OF

THEM !!

They must have been cranking these things out as fast as possible or something. The fit was so bad on some that I seriously thought they had been in a wreck and carelessly repaired by a sloppy body shop. I’M NOT KIDDING.

There wasn’t a single one (of ten on their lot) that had very good build quality. Bumpers on white cars were different colors. The trim on the bumpers were yet another white color. Some plastics on the blue cars were varied in color. Some doors stuck out WAY further than others. Some doors were mounted so sloppily I was convinced that a cut rate body shop had to have replaced them. But multiple cars were like this. Hood was not on symmetrically, in almost every way imaginable, on almost every car. Very uneven seems between almost every body panel (doors and trunk the worst). Fasteners visible on some bumpers (due to the gap/drooping on one side). Protective undercoating was over sprayed on the underside of some bumpers. Headlights were not mounted symmetrically on each side. And that's just off the top of my head.

I mean, it was bad. Like worse than 1980’s-GM-build-quality bad.

Will it affect durability and longevity? I don’t know. But if they put the engine and tranny together with the same amount of care then I’m a tad scared.

Also, the paint on the Elantras had MASSIVE orange peel….

What the **** is going on here?!? How can quality go DOWN?!?!

The good news is that the build quality and paint on the 2011 Sonatas looked excellent. So…. I guess “screw” the 2010 guys then??? Seriously. What gives?

They had a used 2007 Sonata on the lot which didn’t exhibit any of the problems I saw with the 2010s.

I also looked at a used Camry on the lot, used Ford 500, and some huge monstrous Buick thing. They all had better build quality than the 2010 Sonatas, although, the Buick was the runner up.

So… I don’t know. I’m guessing reliability won’t be affected by the horrid build quality, but who knows. If they can make me a deal of the century, then I might still take it, but this is certainly an incentive to make me thing twice.

I can’t believe this is the same Hyundai I recommended to so many friends. And it’s a shame that the people in Alabama built these cars poorly and let them go out the door in horrid shape. UNBELIEVABLE.

= (

·
Registered
167 Posts
Did you drive the 2011 Se? I have a Limited with V6 and I can tell you that the SE accelerates a lot more faster than the NF version. Plus the car had the upgraded navigation. The reason why I did not buy it because the stereo sucked. However, I am going to wait for the turbo. I drove the Genesis sedan and coupe. But if the tubot does not live to my expectations then I am going toward the coupe. Unless I go back to Infiniti (I sold my 2003 for the limited). I had a MBZ C32 but the pick up my hyundai produces is much more cleaner.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Try out the new 2010 Kia Optima LX. As long as the styling doesn't bother you, its almost the exact same car as the Sonata. Kia dealers may be trying to get rid of them because the 2011 Optima is coming soon and it'll be an all-new model. I was looking for a car for a friend and the Kia dealer still had new 2009 Optimas (untitled)! Maybe you could get a steal.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
QUOTE (natesi @ Jun 30 2010, 01:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337345
Ummm wow.

So, the dude gave me a call back; wants me to stop in and talk price now. I decided I would go in tomorrow. But I stopped by the dealership after they had all left and looked the 2010s over real good. I wanted to pick the actual car I might go with, ahead of time.

Anyhoo...

All I can say is, Hyundai, and the people in Alabama who built the 2010 Sonatas, should be ASHAMED of themselves.

EVERY

SINGLE

ONE

OF

THEM !!

They must have been cranking these things out as fast as possible or something. The fit was so bad on some that I seriously thought they had been in a wreck and carelessly repaired by a sloppy body shop. I’M NOT KIDDING.

There wasn’t a single one (of ten on their lot) that had very good build quality. Bumpers on white cars were different colors. The trim on the bumpers were yet another white color. Some plastics on the blue cars were varied in color. Some doors stuck out WAY further than others. Some doors were mounted so sloppily I was convinced that a cut rate body shop had to have replaced them. But multiple cars were like this. Hood was not on symmetrically, in almost every way imaginable, on almost every car. Very uneven seems between almost every body panel (doors and trunk the worst). Fasteners visible on some bumpers (due to the gap/drooping on one side). Protective undercoating was over sprayed on the underside of some bumpers. Headlights were not mounted symmetrically on each side. And that's just off the top of my head.

I mean, it was bad. Like worse than 1980’s-GM-build-quality bad.

Will it affect durability and longevity? I don’t know. But if they put the engine and tranny together with the same amount of care then I’m a tad scared.

Also, the paint on the Elantras had MASSIVE orange peel….

What the **** is going on here?!? How can quality go DOWN?!?!

The good news is that the build quality and paint on the 2011 Sonatas looked excellent. So…. I guess “screw” the 2010 guys then??? Seriously. What gives?

They had a used 2007 Sonata on the lot which didn’t exhibit any of the problems I saw with the 2010s.

I also looked at a used Camry on the lot, used Ford 500, and some huge monstrous Buick thing. They all had better build quality than the 2010 Sonatas, although, the Buick was the runner up.

So… I don’t know. I’m guessing reliability won’t be affected by the horrid build quality, but who knows. If they can make me a deal of the century, then I might still take it, but this is certainly an incentive to make me thing twice.

I can’t believe this is the same Hyundai I recommended to so many friends. And it’s a shame that the people in Alabama built these cars poorly and let them go out the door in horrid shape. UNBELIEVABLE.

= (

I hear you buddy. I purchased a White Hyundai Sonata 2010 Limited V6 with beige leather interior (April 19/2010). I had already paid for it ($29,980), i was just waiting for my dealership in Queens NY to give me a call when it was ready to be picked up. When i received the call, I quickly left work early and met with my salesman. When i arrived, He told me the car is in the back and its being washed and detailed. He said "it came from all the way from Alabany". I didnt care, I wanted my car and to leave. Well I waited patiently just to realize the color of the back bumper doesnt match the car. Not only that, it had those nasty factory lines (black and brown) running across the car. It also came with safe guard trims (white) that protect the edge of the doors. My salesman said its "free", referring to the sade guards and factory lines. I told him I didnt ask or wanted that on the car. He said, "no problem you can take it off yourself, it just sticks on". I was going to have them do it but i already waited too long so I wanted to get out of there asap.

About 2-3 weeks later I found the time to peel off the factory lines and safe guards. When it came time to peel off the safe guards i had noticed something strange with my white vulture. The rear door on the right was sticking out slitely more then the body of the car (not that noticable). I didnt notice this before because the safe guard made it appear as if it was already sticking out. I called my salesman and told him i wanted to schedule an appointment so he can take a look at the "FuXX ups". Because the color of the back bumper was getting to me, i was already annoyed...so i might as well discuss the safe guard and bumber at the same time. You know what he said? the moment i pointed these flaws out? "Well the bumper is a cosmetic problem, not really a major problem... that is not on the warrenty, therefore we can't help you." How about the rear door that sticks out? "The door mechanism is working properly giving it no reason for repair, again a cosmetic problem". G-A-Y! ****!

The only good thing that came out of this bitter ordeal, was the pricing. You might say. "Really? $29,980?". YEAH!. I went in the dealership with a Hyundai Sonata White 2009 GLS 16,850 miles... with Purple tints (Because the aftermarket place I went to get it done used cheap film). The car had a loan for $15,200. It also had a problem with the engine (Which i didnt mention to them, hehe). I was going in for a Sonata Limited 2010 Model, but I wanted to see what my salesman had in stores for me. He said we could work out a deal if i decide to purchase a car today. He showed me the 2011 Sonatas, I loved it. But the moment i took a look inside and saw that hidous-nasty-ugly- looking human figure on the dash board that indicates the climate, AC Control...i said no way! no way! i dont want it. I asked about the Sonata 2010 white/limited...so we came to an agreement. The dealership would purchase my car in full, they would search for a Sonata of my choice and i would have to take on a new loan of $29,980 with tax included and all that. I said fine, because the 2010 Sonata Limited were going for $25, and change (not including taxes, etc). Plus I wanted the limited to begin with. So it seems they bought the car off of me but put some of that amount on my new car. I didnt care at the moment because i was getting a new car. But now it seems the new car had few minor problems too. But neither the less, i got factory window tints installed for free (yummie) and I'm enjoying my new Limited.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts