Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the same problem for the last year or so.

The AWD light will randomly come on and stay lit on my 2016 Santa Fe 2.0T. I don't notice a difference in the way the car drives.

The light will stay on for 4 or 5 days and then go off for a few months, before randomly coming back on again. I've taken the car to the dealer twice already for this problem. Of course, by the time I get to the dealer, the light is no longer on.

They do a diagnostic, but no error codes come up.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are the error codes stored? So if there was a problem with the AWD, the diagnostic would pick it up?

Could this be a wiring issue?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Some codes will store. Others will not. Stored codes may be cleared after a preset number of "passed" tests are run or by the number of startups without a hard code. So yes, depending upon the circumstances it is possible that there may not be any code present by the time you get to the Dealer. If possible.....The best thing to do would be to contact the service manager, explain the situation, and ask if you could stop in whenever the light is on so that they can see what code is set at that time.

Many Dealers will do this. They may not be able to work on it at a moment's notice.....Nor does it guarantee that they will find the cause later....But it is a starting point.

I would assume that no tires have been changed? We do sometimes have folks that get a flat and have to replace one tire and then if the other tires are worn it can trip the light due to the difference in the circumference of the tires. That would normally keep the light on rather than it being intermittent, but I have seen stranger things.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the light came on again yesterday. Rather than calling the dealer for the service appointment, I just took the car to a friend of mine who is a mechanic. He plugged the car in and the computer got a error code: P1829

From what I could on Google, the code means:

"P1829 Hyundai Santafe engine problem can be occur defective fan clutches are a common and often overlooked cause of engine overheating. The shear characteristics of the clutch fluid gradually deteriorates over time, with an average loss in drive efficiency of about 200 rpm per year. Eventually slippage reaches the point where effective cooling is no longer possible and overheating results. (On average, the life of a fan clutch is about the same as a water pump. If one needs to be replaced, the other usually does too.)"

Called the dealer and scheduled a service appointment. The service adviser had never come across the code before but told me that he would call Hyundai Canada to get a better idea of what the code is before I go in. We will see what happens.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Make sure the dealer replaces the water pump - as google suggests, lol. It's something in your AWD not a fan clutch. Could be wiring, sensor, control module or rear diff where there are clutch packs that are in engaged in AWD operation.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
LOL. Nice DTEch. Google might want you to have the flux capacitor replaced as well. Not poking fun at you jon. Just at the Internet in general. DTech is correct of course. The radiator cooling fan is electric. No fan clutch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had the same problem for the last year or so.

The AWD light will randomly come on and stay lit on my 2016 Santa Fe 2.0T. I don't notice a difference in the way the car drives.

The light will stay on for 4 or 5 days and then go off for a few months, before randomly coming back on again. I've taken the car to the dealer twice already for this problem. Of course, by the time I get to the dealer, the light is no longer on.

They do a diagnostic, but no error codes come up.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are the error codes stored? So if there was a problem with the AWD, the diagnostic would pick it up?

Could this be a wiring issue?
4WD warning orange color light is on in my car Santafi 2016 3.3L after turn on the engine for three days, I checked the car and searching on website may i will find any one may write his experience on this subject but no found, after 3 days car battery life is over and the 4WD warning light is off after changing the battery by new one.I think there is un equipment in transmission cannt operate when the battery voltage under threshold value.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Is there an easy way to check if the AWD system is working properly? The other day, in the rain, I went to pull out in traffic on a slight incline and the front wheels were spinning then the "anti skid" kicked in and I came to a crawl. I never noticed this before-----tires are about 1.5 years old with a lot of tread. It's the 2.4L, 2014 with the engine recently replaced----no dash light and everything seems okay otherwise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts