Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2008 Santa Fe Limited with AWD. What I want to know is these vehicles have a stabilization feature right? Meaning, the majority of the time it uses FWD. But when the those wheels slip, the rears kick in right?
Also, I understand that you can lock in AWD. But does the vehicle need to be stop and in Park for you do lock it?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
To the first item, yes. As slip is sensed, the rears are coupled in as needed, up to a maximum 50/50 front/rear split.

As to the second item, no. The AWD button can be pressed at any time. However, AWD

a) will not engage at all at speeds over 25mph,

b) if engaged, will begin to disengage as the vehicle reaches a speed of 19mph, and will fully disengage if the vehicle reaches 25mph.

Check pages 17-21 of your owner's manual.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
? The OP asked "does the vehicle need to be stop and in Park for you do lock it?" and the answer is no. Simple as that. The speeds I indicated define operation whether the attempt is manual or if it's an automatic function of the system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To the first item, yes. As slip is sensed, the rears are coupled in as needed, up to a maximum 50/50 front/rear split.

As to the second item, no. The AWD button can be pressed at any time. However, AWD

a) will not engage at all at speeds over 25mph,

b) if engaged, will begin to disengage as the vehicle reaches a speed of 19mph, and will fully disengage if the vehicle reaches 25mph.

Check pages 17-21 of your owner's manual.
Yeah, the owner's manual and a knowledgeable sales person would have helped. I did find a PDF version of the a owners manual last night online and after searching for "AWD" I found the information you posted. Now it can start snowing! Thank you for the information. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
AWD is good for starting and stopping in low speed only. It is not a 4x4 in any sense. In icy and heavy snow situation, slows down and keeps distance is your best insurance. And snow tire is your best friend in the snow for starting and stopping.I have too many of those situations that AWD does not give you any advantage when your speed is over 30km/hr. But I never get stuck any more in the parking lot or outside my house's driveway!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Although the AWD Lock 50:50 torque split is low speed dependent, the automatic variation in torque split is still active at all speeds - dependent on slip at front wheels.

·
Registered
2009 SF LTD 3.3
473 Posts
Be aware that the AWD system was adopted from the initial one on a small Porsche Carrera - SF is much heavier - thus there are quite a few reports for overheating events...

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Be aware that the AWD system was adopted from the initial one on a small Porsche Carrera - SF is much heavier - thus there are quite a few reports for overheating events...
The Porsche Carrera 4wd isn't that much lighter than a Santa Fe, 1600 kg vs 1800 kg - but probably has double the power and double the torque !!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. I don't plan any off road or Mud Runs so I think it will be just fine for my use here. Common sense goes a lot further than AWD anyway. I know people who love to say the old "I have got a 4X4 I can go anywhere". Really? They are also the ones you see backwards down the ditch stuck in the snow. I'll usually wave when I go by. :wink2:

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
The vast majority of which have been while navigating in sand for extended periods. Seems our friends down in AUS have shown us the light on that practice in threads from a few years back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts