Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. So I have this issue not even the head mechanic at hyundai service knows what's wrong. Awd doesn't work. Rear wheels aren't engaging. Truck is running on front wheel drive. They checked transfer case and differential fluids all is good with no signs of metal or broken parts inside. Truck drivers fine on dry and wet pavement no weird noises or vibrations. When I drove in snow the traction control light would come on as normal and when I'm getting stuck instead of the rear wheels helping the AWD Malfunction light comes on for about 5-10 seconds. And turns off. When car was on lift The drive shaft was able to be turned as if on neutral. Question does anyone know if that's normal? Maybe electronically disengages from transfer case? Anyway. A whole day at the service now they want to stay with the vehicle. Want to get you guys input before they start playing guessing game and have me spend a boat load of money for unnecessary parts. Any tips and info would be appreciated. Thanks

I have attached the light that comes on and off when the front wheels spin and no traction. Between 5 and 6 on the tach.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I'd take it to another dealer or complain to Hyundai or perhaps do both. Those service guys are trained and have diagnostic trees and ability to pull trouble codes if they are logged. Are the service people reaching out to Hyundai for assistance ? Sounds like a fault in the drive train control system - usually an electronic glitch. But the dealer should be able to identify and fix.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,330 Posts
Want to get you guys input before they start playing guessing game and have me spend a boat load of money for unnecessary parts.
Why would it cost you a boat load?. It's still under warranty, isn't it?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Go to another dealer and get them to check the rear diff coupler, there are a few tests they can do to pin point if that is it... i'm guessing it is. (Part # 47800-3B250)

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Warning lights = trouble code stored in module related to warning light..

Start by plug in GDS and do complete fault code search of all onboard control modules, then proceed from there.. typical operation on most of our product is prop shaft run full time with vehicle roll,, and module duty cycle magnetic clutch at reap coupler to apply prop shaft power to rear drive unit (differential)

·
2,258 Posts
if the drive shaft is spinning, odds are the transfer-case blew.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Go to another dealer and get them to check the rear diff coupler, there are a few tests they can do to pin point if that is it... i'm guessing it is. (Part # 47800-3B250)
Thanks for all your replies. So i got the update and this is exactly the part that he mentioned hyundai is goin to change under warranty. He mentioned he got code U0122 which is lost comminucation with vehicle dynamics control module. After further testing he said most likely due to electronic failure since he wasnt getting a read from there. Should be in tomorrow. Ill keep ya updated.

I was worried about paying so much since i do use the vehicle for work. Which can void warranty. But good news they said they are covering it. Lets see when the part comes in hopefully that is the problem.

I also read that the fail safe thing to do when it loses comminication with that it puts itself into 2wd.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update... Snowing here in nyc. And still doing same problem. Front Wheel only spinning traction control comes on. Awd light comes on then turns off. Smh... I really double that coupling went bad so fast. Any ideas??

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Update... Snowing here in nyc. And still doing same problem. Front Wheel only spinning traction control comes on. Awd light comes on then turns off. Smh... I really double that coupling went bad so fast. Any ideas??
sometimes you get issues like bad wiring or connectors that can cause intermittent faults - but trouble codes will point towards something that isn't necessarily the root cause of the problem. So back to the dealer for additional diagnostic work hopefully they will be able to fix it or call in Hyundai employee for additional help. :|

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am also with problem on the 4wd, but contrary, my rear differential is working all the time coupled. No 4wd light appears on the panel. Replaces the 4wd control module (code 95477) but the problem persists. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Obs: Sorry my english, i am brazilian.

·
Registered
426 Posts
mine seems to work well in the snow, just tested it today.

Seems to do the job, but my winter tires are so good that I'm having trouble getting it to slip to really test AWD.....

nokian hakkapelita 8 suv studded, those things don't slip.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Was this issue ever resolved?

It never was. They started throwing the car used for work card if hyundai engineers come and notice the bill will be on me. So I gave up and went my own route. took it to a friend mechanic to take the tranny apart from motor. Lo and behold. Where the transfer case goes into the tranny. The teeth were grind down. Smh.. Explained why driveshaft to rear wheels would still spin by hand even though car was on park or in gear. Got a used tranny and transfer case and wala problem fixed. AWD working normally.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Anybody had this problem in Canada with their AWD?
I currently have this issue with my 2014 XL and not sure what the actual prob is.

Seems like a lot of people had these issues, any recall or class action on these?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m in the Ottawa region & bought my 2013 SF 2.0L turbo limited new in Ottawa in 2013. I’m pretty much the main driver for this vehicle. Yes, it’s got mileage, 175K but it was never beaten. Actually, the AWD isn’t used all that much as it isn’t required, but when I do need it, I’d like to have it.
All this to say that this is the 3rd time I lose my AWD. The first 2 times were covered under warranty but I went to the dealer last week once again for the same issue & I’m informed that the gears in my transfer case (TC) are stripped.
I don’t understand how the gears can be stripped when the AWD was never used that much. I also don’t understand how they can determine that the gears are stripped without taking the TC apart.
Without taking the TC apart, can anyone tell me how I could check this out at home on my own?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’m in the Ottawa region & bought my 2013 SF 2.0L turbo limited new in Ottawa in 2013. I’m pretty much the main driver for this vehicle. Yes, it’s got mileage, 175K but it was never beaten. Actually, the AWD isn’t used all that much as it isn’t required, but when I do need it, I’d like to have it.
All this to say that this is the 3rd time I lose my AWD. The first 2 times were covered under warranty but I went to the dealer last week once again for the same issue & I’m informed that the gears in my transfer case (TC) are stripped.
I don’t understand how the gears can be stripped when the AWD was never used that much. I also don’t understand how they can determine that the gears are stripped without taking the TC apart.
Without taking the TC apart, can anyone tell me how I could check this out at home on my own?

I have been to the dealer too and I was informed the exact same thing. I had changed the gear lube last year and they told me the differential is gone and would need to be replaced along with couple and that the gear is stripped in differential and there was sludge. I don't know how they checked that.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
The driveshaft spins full time so if you can get the car (safely) with 4 wheels in the air and running in drive you should see the shaft spinning, if it isn't then yes the TC is shot. If the driveshaft is spinning then put it into awd lock and see if the rear wheels spin. Like a number of AWD systems on primarily FWD autos it's not the most robust setup but 3 failures seems a bit out of the mainstream.

I'd only recommend doing the above if you have a decent (safe) way to get the vehicle wheels off the ground - if not find an Indy who will do a cheap diagnosis - they have a lift.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts