Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2010 Veracruz, and I got it yesterday.

While I was inspecting it and familiarised with it before taking it for a ride, I found the AWD lock switch.
I don't understand the behavior of this switch. When I push the switch, there is a AWD yellow light that turns on on the dash, but as soon as I release the switch, the light turns off. It doesn't stay on.

The switch does not stay pressed and I do not hear a click sound when I press it, like the fog light switch does.

Is this normal, and how will I know if the AWD is lock or not ?

Thanks !

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Owner manual ??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Aug 6 2010, 11:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347593
Owner manual ??
Thanks for the tip, I read it from top to bottom yesterday. According to the manual, it should activate at the first press of the switch, and deactivate when I press it back.
When the lock is activated, the light should stay on (if I keep the speed under the limit).

Obviously my Veracruz does not behave like this or else I would not be asking for YOUR experience. The manual does not comment on other's observations....

Thanks anyway.

Now, could you describe the behavior of your Veracruz ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
The AWD lock sets all 4 wheels in drive below 50klm (30 mph) rather than the drive system computer deciding for itself at low speeds whether to engage the AWD system. This is usually for slow urban icy/snowy traffic conditions and it works very well. In normal slippery conditions, the standard system still works well. Above 50 klm it unlocks itself to prevent damage to the driveline.

Reading the owners manual is always good advice but a comment stating only that is uncalled for.

Welcome to the forum :00000732:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good news, the AWD switch is now working.

I played with the switch, pressing at least 30 times with more or less pressure, with the car not even started.
Suddenly, the switch made a "click" sound and stayed pressed (like the fog light switch). Since then, the switch is working as it should and as described in the Owner's manual.
One press generates a "click sound" and the switch is at the ON position, another push and the switch "clicks" again and goes back to the OFF position.

Thanks anyway for the help.

Regards,
clorets

·
Registered
85 Posts
QUOTE (clorets @ Aug 9 2010, 10:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=348135
Good news, the AWD switch is now working.

I played with the switch, pressing at least 30 times with more or less pressure, with the car not even started.
Suddenly, the switch made a "click" sound and stayed pressed (like the fog light switch). Since then, the switch is working as it should and as described in the Owner's manual.
One press generates a "click sound" and the switch is at the ON position, another push and the switch "clicks" again and goes back to the OFF position.

Thanks anyway for the help.

Regards,
clorets
Well, I am not certain whether the switch stays in when pushed, but there should be a dash indicator that the system is in AWD lock. I don't think I have ever heard a single thing when engaging the AWD switch at the switch or the driveline. I haven't used it much because in all honesty, you don't really need it. What I have used is the ESC switch. On a snowy slippery day, when taking off from a side street, I switch it off. When the switch is on, it causes a momentary drop in power to keep the wheels from spinning. This is a bit frightening especially when you started out across an active road with traffic coming and it decides for itself that it needs to stop spinning and bog down for a split second. When back on the straight away or highway, I re-engage the ESC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts