Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My uncle was asking me about my SFS as he's in the market for a new vehicle, although he might be looking at the SFS XL for towing purposes.

He was talking to a friend of his that has a 2012 Santa Fe, and told my uncle that he "slips and slides" all over the place with his AWD, and that he's confirmed with his dealer that the AWD cuts out at 20km/h + speeds!

WHAT?!??

I told him that's the craziest thing I've ever heard. Why would any car company make such a stupid system, and not only that, why would people even pay the extra $$$ for an AWD vehicle if that was the case?

I had to tell him that the day I picked up my SFS was the day we had the most snow fall of the winter season last year (go figure), and I was really worried about letting my Jeep Grand Cherokee go on a day like that, especially getting into a brand new car, which only had all season tires on it....
But I was really happy with the performance in the snow that day... In fact, when I got home at the end of the day, I was the ONLY vehicle to not get stuck on my street.. There were 3 cars/trucks right in the middle of the street stuck in deep snow... And I easily drove on by...

So, with all that said, can someone confirm 100% that I'm right about the cut off? I know there is the AWD lock feature that does cut out at a certain speed which I thought was around 30 km/h, but not the overall AWD... Right? It's making me second guess myself.

·
Registered
62 Posts
AWD is always active
AWD Lock starts de-activating above 30kph and goes to AWD above 40kph. Re-activates if you slow down.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Thats not very assuring!
The AWD lock does not stay in effect even at city driving speeds?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
AWD is always active
AWD Lock starts de-activating above 30kph and goes to AWD above 40kph. Re-activates if you slow down.
The de-activation of the lock I was pretty sure about, but what you're saying is that there is no AWD between 30-40 km/h?

I'm pretty sure AWD is active 100% of the time and the lock is only enabled when the button is pressed up to 30 k, as it's not a true 4X4 system, and I get that.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The de-activation of the lock I was pretty sure about, but what you're saying is that there is no AWD between 30-40 km/h?

I'm pretty sure AWD is active 100% of the time and the lock is only enabled when the button is pressed up to 30 k, as it's not a true 4X4 system, and I get that.
In the ownsers manual it says it deactivates when you go over 60km/hr.
Also you have a button on the dash which forces the AWD. Otherwise the awd only activates when the car senses it needs too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
AWD is ALWAYS on, either locked or automatic
The lock starts to de-activate at 30kph(19mph) with full de-activation of the lock at 40kph(25mph)where it goes to AWD auto. Slow down to below 30kph and the AWD locks again as long as the button is still pressed.
That's what my my manual says.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Perfect. Doesn't state that there is any cut-off speed that AWD stops working, but like I said to my uncle, that's crazy.... I've never heard that any AWD had a limit to when it would stop working. I think his buddy was confused about the AWD system, and the locking feature.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Makes sense. AWD is active at all times, but AWD lock is only active below 25mph. Generally speaking, for most individuals, in most situations, if the road conditions are so bad that you feel the need to lock AWD, you won't be going over 25mph anyway.

I'm not sure how this affects off roaders (I've never done it myself). Maybe you would want to lock AWD at speeds above 25 mph, but I don't believe the Santa Fe is really designed to be an off road vehicle, so its a moot point in my book.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Isn't it kmh not kph?
Hahaha... that's your question from this topic?
If you want to get technical - it's KM/H - kilometers per hour.
Up here in the great white north (although we have no snow, and the US is covered in it right now... not sure how we get that schtick).. we just say "how many k was that...", or "it's about 50 k from here...", so I guess some people refer to kph as km/h.

Same diff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts