Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We do mainly city driving 35-40 MPH for 50 miles and our average is 18 MPH. We just drove about 50 miles on the freeway at 65 MPH and it now shows 20 MPH Average. I don't think stoplights have anything to do with it. I reset it today and hope that it will actually show a better average MPH.:confused:

·
Registered
907 Posts
The avg. MPH is taken from your speedometer every two seconds, similar to that how the avg. mpg is taken from your real-time MPG, which calculates its MPG every two seconds....

Therefore, it will take into account ALL MPH ranges, even if you're going 5mph.

However, to get a more accurate reading you can reset it "midway" while driving at your desired speed rather than from 1mph.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The avg. MPH is taken from your speedometer every two seconds, similar to that how the avg. mpg is taken from your real-time MPG, which calculates its MPG every two seconds....

Therefore, it will take into account ALL MPH ranges, even if you're going 5mph.

However, to get a more accurate reading you can reset it "midway" while driving at your desired speed rather than from 1mph.
You are right. Just made a round trip into town and made some long stops and the average is now 14 MPH. So it's only worthwhile on long trips where you don't ever stop.:mad:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my car new, with 8 miles on it TOTAL; as soon as I drove off the lot, I made a 110 mile trip on the Freeway, driving between 75 and 85 miles per hour. When I got home, my average was 23 miles per hour, and it seemed to stay there. I have never seen it get any higher than that, I don't think, and it now has over 800 miles on it. I now drive mostly between 45 and 55 miles per hour, seldom slower except when coming to a stop. I think today it's showing 20 miles per hour. I have tried resetting this, but simply do not understand what it is supposed to accomplish. I mean, even if recalculating every two seconds, on the Freeway going 85 miles per hour for an hour and a half, my high was 23 miles per hour, and I didn't have but around 10 miles PRIOR to getting on the freeway. Again, the car was brand new, and I was the first person to ever test drive it even. I will try re-setting it when I am driving my desired speed, but I still don't understand what that has to do with it. Can someone make this a little clearer to me? Thanks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
As mrmr256 points out, you'll get a very low reading for your average MPH unless you reset while driving at highway speeds and check it while driving at highway speeds. I've never found the "average" MPH reading to be of much use.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I've never reset my average MPH since I bought the car (now at 32K miles). My average is 47 mph. 90% of my driving is highway.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just came back from an oil change and had the tires upped to 40psi and then gassed up at SAMs. I then went on a 30 mile 45-60mph drive and got home with 53.3mpg. I checked the Avg mph and it only showed 27mph. I thought it was auto reset when filling up but found out it only gets reset if I do it. When I reset it last year while doing some tests it was very accurate.

·
Registered
200 Posts
A I've never found the "average" MPH reading to be of much use.
I use it all the time as I found that it gives me an accurate digital readout of the speed I am going.
In my commute most of my driving is on a highway that has an 80 kph (50mph) speed limit but if one stays under 100 kph (62mph) you won't get a ticket. So I set my cruise control with the speedometer pointer right on the 100k mark and will switch the display over to the average mph and reset it and the initial reading will be the actual speed that i will be going, usually 98 kph.
I have confirmed this with my GPS and have this method with success for 30,000 kilometers so far. I pass at least two cruisers each way all that have active radar in operation and have never been pulled over.
The HSH's speedometer is pretty good but my 13 Accent was out by 9 kph and I learned to this since I couldn't find a mark that would work on it's speedometer so I would check with the average speed deal when I was setting the cruise.

So this is the only useful purpose of that display that I have found!

·
Registered
537 Posts
I use it all the time as I found that it gives me an accurate digital readout of the speed I am going.
That's interesting, so it seems the avg display doesn't use the speedometer to get your speed data. Could it be using the gps data? You can access the car's GPS data in the secret menu by holding a finger on the system info screen for 10 seconds.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have the base model so I don't believe there is any GPS involved in the car's readouts.
The HSH is less of an issue than the Accent was, the HSH is almost dead on when I compared it to my GPS, a garmin model and separate from the car's systems.
With the Accent I was shocked by the difference, never remembered to complain to the dealer.
There is definitely different methods of display or of sources of input for the speedometer and the average mph display.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is my first Hyundai (2013 Elantra GLS), but my 4th car with an Avg MPH indication, and it appears to me that the issue is that unlike all the other ones, the Hyundai includes time stopped in the calculation. It's figuring me at around 20mph intra-urban, where all the other cars reliably told me 30mph over a full week or major fraction.

I wonder if it's reprogrammable not to do that.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Average MPH is not a hard concept to understand at all. It takes into account miles driven divided by the time your car was powered on (whether moving or not). So if you start your car and let it idle for 57 minutes and then quickly drive 3 miles in 3 minutes hitting 70 mph as your top speed, your average MPH is going to be 3. You drove 3 physical miles in 60 minutes of engine on time.

This is one area where a hybrid really shines in fuel consumption compared to an ICE only vehicle since the hybrid isn't burning gasoline while the car isn't moving unless it's needed for battery charging.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts