Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My average MPG guage is reading 26+/- .5 MPG. But I saw it rapidly rise to 32 MPG just after refilling the other day. I have not manually reset it ever. How is this average computed - is it the average since the last reset, or does it take the last mile or two only?

I am guessing that...

1) It resets automatically when doing a fuel up
2) It averages the MPG since the last reset

So basically, unless you manually reset, you are reading the average MPG since the last fuel up.

Jon

·
Registered
124 Posts
Press and hold the Reset button and it will clear. The only thing that I see that resets after a fill up is the Distance to Empty. Everything else but the Current MPG and Distance to Empty can be reset by holding the Reset button.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Read up on it in the owners manual. The average economy resets any time you add more than about 2.5 gallons to the tank. So at the last fillup, it reset and the higher number is what you're seeing for fuel economy since your last fillup.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The manual states "This mode calculates the average fuel consumption from the total fuel used since the last average consumption reset....Pressing the RESET button formore than 1 second when the average fuel consumption is being didplayed clears the average fuel consumption to zero....If the vehicle speed exceeds 1.6 MPH after being refueled with more than 1.6 gallons, the average fuel consumption will be cleared to zero.

It seems that both methods are correct.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It would be a nice mode to have an average mpg over the last few miles, say 2-5 miles. That way you could really see how your driving affects your mileage. I thought that was how it was working out of the box, but I guess not.

The instantaneous mpg meter is pretty useless as unless you are on perfectly flat road without stop and go traffic it will be somewhat erratic. I guess you could just reset the average mpg readout to get a new reading when you want one, but seems a little tedious. What people really want/need is the average for the way I am driving the last few minutes.

·
Registered
62 Posts
QUOTE (jbishop.rwc @ Oct 22 2010, 11:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365461
It would be a nice mode to have an average mpg over the last few miles, say 2-5 miles. That way you could really see how your driving affects your mileage. I thought that was how it was working out of the box, but I guess not.

The instantaneous mpg meter is pretty useless as unless you are on perfectly flat road without stop and go traffic it will be somewhat erratic. I guess you could just reset the average mpg readout to get a new reading when you want one, but seems a little tedious. What people really want/need is the average for the way I am driving the last few minutes.

You can probably just use the real time readout for that.

But mine randomly resets with no refueling, I haven't figured out why yet.

·
Registered
589 Posts
It's useless to me since it resets every freaking fill-up. That needs to change.

·
Registered
11 Posts
QUOTE (schdy37 @ Oct 24 2010, 08:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365994
Mine did the same thing today for the first time in 7 mos. I'm wondering if it is related to the winter fuel additive for emission control because I recently filled up.
My 2011 Sonata has had the same issue since new. I think that I finally have it figured out. Since Hyundai built the "smarts" into the trip computer to reset the average fuel consumption after 1.6 gallons or more of fuel has been added, I believe that the reset occurs due to incorrect sensing of the fuel level in some circumstances that results in the computer thinking that fuel has been added. This is just from the normal movement of the vehicle and the fuel in the tank. I don't know why they incorporated this feature at all as I want to choose when to reset the average fuel consumption. Some like to never reset this so that they have a long term average. Also, why they chose such a low level of fuel addition to trigger the rest is baffling. I am lobbying my dealer to go after Hyundai for a change in this feature and I hope that other do the same as they are more likely to listen if enough raise the issue.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
My Santa Fe is usually right about 1 mpg optimistic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts