Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been driving my 2012 elantra for 3 years now, and the average mpg (on the screen) fluctuates anywhere from 18 to 25 during any given trip (I don't take long trips - after 3 years I only have 14,000 miles on the car). I rarely drive on highways, so I'd expect the average mpg to be in the lower range -- but my lease is up and I'm trying to figure out if this is just a gas guzzler or if there's some malfunction of this tool, or if it's something inherent in the way I'm driving. Any ideas?

·
Registered
543 Posts
You would have to do it the old fashioned way.

Miles Driven/Gallons used(at fill up)

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
I've been driving my 2012 elantra for 3 years now, and the average mpg (on the screen) fluctuates anywhere from 18 to 25 during any given trip (I don't take long trips - after 3 years I only have 14,000 miles on the car).Any ideas?
Changes in temperature due to weather, & season, have great effects on mpg. Of course, snow makes a lot of difference, but rainfall will make differences too. Differing tire pressures cause mpg changes, so check to make sure your tires are at the pressures you want. If no snow or rainfall, I tend to keep my tires pumped higher than average to give me better mpg. Improper factory spark plug gaps cause poor mpg. This was a big issue on a Chevy Cruze website. You'll find many other reasons on this website. Running 10% ethanol blends, instead of 100% (ethanol-free) gasoline will lower mpg. Related to the different fuels, have been lots of reports of wrong & improper ethanol percentages in gasoline. As a present user of 100% gasoline, I have noted, not only an increase in my mpg, but my mpg tend to be more stable, compared to my previous use of 10%(not true?) ethanol blends.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
The Elantra is not a gas guzzler, however it is sensitive to driving conditions. There's a long list of fuel-saving trickery (ie: tall gearing, lean fuel mixtures, smart alternators, etc.) which are easily deactivated in real-world situations.

You might think that every drive to work is the same, but if you keep track of temperature, wind speed and direction, the number of times you hit the brakes, and the amount of time you spend idling at red lights, you will will see just how much each drive varies as far as your car is concerned.

·
22,788 Posts
Agree, Don. As I once said several year's ago, this car WILL change your driving style and the way you approach those old habits. Of all the things you mentioned, "wind" is the one item that rings true with me. Put a good tailwind at your back and it's surprising what the MPG indicator displays to your eye.

One night I was called back to work after being home for about 45 minutes. I drove into 40-45 mph gusts for 26 miles. Did well to get 28 MPGs on that trip. On the return, same wind, but at my back. I was looking at MPGs on the return in the mid 50's.

Too bad we can't have a nice tailwind everywhere we travel. Elantra's rear end isn't just cute, it's also functional.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts