Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about the 2019 Hyundai Elantra SE manual and automatic transmission vehicles. I have a 2019 Elantra SE with a manual transmission and a reset button on the steering column. My average MPG shown on the first screen automatically resets when the key is off for 4 hours and also when I put fuel in the car. So every morning I see lines instead of a number for the average MPG until I drive a bit and then it starts showing what the average MPG is for the start to the new day. I would like to know if other 2019 Hyundai Elantra SE manual or automatic transmission cars do this as I have been told various stories. These features can't be turned off. Would also like to know if your 2019 Elantra does not do this and would appreciate it if you could tell me the model, transmission, and whether you have a reset or okay button on your steering column.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Same car as yours and auto with reset button..MPG resets when car is off for more than 4 hours. No way to change that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've mostly paid attention to the MPG per trip, I'll have to check out the overall MPG if it is stored or not. Interesting that the feature is not customizable.

·
Registered
680 Posts
On my 2017 Elantra (Limited with automatic) this is configurable. In user settings mode, "Fuel Economy Auto Reset" can be set to either (1) Off - fuel economy will not reset; (2) after ignition - resets automatically when driving; and (3) After Refueling - resets automatically after refueling. If this is available on your vehicle, It would appear that yours is set to option 2.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On my 2017 Elantra (Limited with automatic) this is configurable. In user settings mode, "Fuel Economy Auto Reset" can be set to either (1) Off - fuel economy will not reset; (2) after ignition - resets automatically when driving; and (3) After Refueling - resets automatically after refueling. If this is available on your vehicle, It would appear that yours is set to option 2.
Thank you for your reply. What you disclose is what the owner's manual says about a supervision cluster car. My car is more basic as it only has a conventional cluster and it does not offer me such options. I have no user settings mode. Moreover it does both 2 and 3 so it does what no car is even suppose to have the option to do and I can't turn it off. Hyundai claims that it made changes in the 19 MY Elantra to reduce field claims that the fuel efficiency on the display was inaccurate. They claim it has updated logic, “FE reset after 4 hours of key off”" and the previous 18MY did not have that updated reset logic. Since I am skeptical about the explanation, and since it still does not reflect what my car actually does, I am trying to connect with other 19 MY Elantra owners/drivers to ascertain what the various 19 MY Elantras do, and if I succeed, I will be able to determine what is fact and what is fiction.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thank you for your reply. What you disclose is what the owner's manual says about a supervision cluster car. My car is more basic as it only has a conventional cluster and it does not offer me such options. I have no user settings mode. Moreover it does both 2 and 3 so it does what no car is even suppose to have the option to do and I can't turn it off. Hyundai claims that it made changes in the 19 MY Elantra to reduce field claims that the fuel efficiency on the display was inaccurate. They claim it has updated logic, “FE reset after 4 hours of key off”" and the previous 18MY did not have that updated reset logic. Since I am skeptical about the explanation, and since it still does not reflect what my car actually does, I am trying to connect with other 19 MY Elantra owners/drivers to ascertain what the various 19 MY Elantras do, and if I succeed, I will be able to determine what is fact and what is fiction.
Apparently mine is also customizable as stated in the post above yours. I can attest to the fact that the stated fuel economy by the computer in the 18 is off. It consistently overstates the MPG, so it's possible the claim by Hyundai has some legitimacy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the additional feedback. Yes, I know the 18 is off. My son owns one. And yes, it's possible, but I think unlikely, that Hyundai's claim is legitimate since they did not fix the inaccuracy problem. The display is still inaccurate and inflated. Unfortunately, it is also annoying, erratic, and useless. You can also get around it if you don't mind interrupted sleep and never putting more than a gallon in the car at one time. I hope to hear from other 19 Elantra owners so please spread the word.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
For years would just have the total odometer in any vehicle. Had to write down the mileage when filling your tank and subtract that from the mileage at the next fill. Divide the difference by the number of gallon the pump says.

Since trip odometers were added, Elantra should have two, saves storing and subtracting the single odometer mileage, have to reset it each fill, still have to divide by the number of gallons the pump says.

This is the most accurate method to learn your mpg, electronics is more guess work.The dwell time of the fuel injectors determines the amount of fuel used based on an odometer reading. Have to say speedometers and odometers are far more accurate than they use to be provided you have the correct sized tires on your car. But as they wear, the mileage shown is greater than the actual mileage.

Also what is not know is the kind of fuel you are putting in your tank the lowest octane highest ethanol fuels give the worse fuel economy compared to the highest octane fuels

Engine knows exactly what kind of fuel you are putting in your tank with knock sensors, cheaper fuels, results in delayed ignition timing, shorter power stroke, and intake valves closing soon, reducing the compression ratio.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I learned the dash mpg display on my Tucson consistently reads 7% higher than manual measurement at fillups.
So mostly city driving (avg 18 mph) I might get actual 25 mpg and it displays 26.8.
On a highway trip maybe 32 mpg and it displays 34.2.
I have it set to reset when refueling but it also displays a trip mpg for a few seconds after shutting off.
That resets after 4 hours. So a few short trips in a day get added together.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If anyone is interested in keeping track of their mileage and a host of other things like service interval and inspection/registration I recommend www.mycarfax.com. The site lets you enter in your vehicles and there is a fuel economy component to it in "my glovebox" where you enter mileage, gallons, price and it gives you your MPG both by tank and continuous. You have to enter a couple to get it started but its a handy tool.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a question about the 2019 Hyundai Elantra SE manual and automatic transmission vehicles. I have a 2019 Elantra SE with a manual transmission and a reset button on the steering column. My average MPG shown on the first screen automatically resets when the key is off for 4 hours and also when I put fuel in the car. So every morning I see lines instead of a number for the average MPG until I drive a bit and then it starts showing what the average MPG is for the start to the new day. I would like to know if other 2019 Hyundai Elantra SE manual or automatic transmission cars do this as I have been told various stories. These features can't be turned off. Would also like to know if your 2019 Elantra does not do this and would appreciate it if you could tell me the model, transmission, and whether you have a reset or okay button on your steering column.
With an 2019 Elantra purchased from Hyundai Dealer in EU. I have the Classic Cluster display behind the steering wheel and I find it annoying that there's no possibility of reset or whatever modification I would make to its display values.
My car is as I said above an Elantra, 1.6 liters gasoline engine with manual transmission and equipped as Confort class, which is one class above the Basic and one lower the Highway class which BTW comes with the supervision cluster display.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With an 2019 Elantra purchased from Hyundai Dealer in EU. I have the Classic Cluster display behind the steering wheel and I find it annoying that there's no possibility of reset or whatever modification I would make to its display values.
My car is as I said above an Elantra, 1.6 liters gasoline engine with manual transmission and equipped as Confort class, which is one class above the Basic and one lower the Highway class which BTW comes with the supervision cluster display.
Thank you for your feedback. I am a little curious and confused. I believe that unless you have the supervision cluster, you can't change the display or set up automatic resets. However, don't you have a reset button on your steering wheel. I do and of course that will let me reset the Avg Mpg whenever I would want. Unfortunately since my Avg display resets automatically far more than I would like, I have no real use for the reset button, at least with respect to the AVG MPG display.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I learned the dash mpg display on my Tucson consistently reads 7% higher than manual measurement at fillups.
So mostly city driving (avg 18 mph) I might get actual 25 mpg and it displays 26.8.
I have it set to reset when refueling but it also displays a trip mpg for a few seconds after shutting off.
Yeah, mine is off too, but probably at least 10%. I can't set my car to reset upon refueling due to the conventional cluster, but it seems to automatically reset and yes, I think it does what you describe about displaying the last mpg before then resetting. Of O

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, mine is off too, but probably at least 10%. I can't set my car to reset upon refueling due to the conventional cluster, but it seems to automatically reset and yes, I think it does what you describe about displaying the last mpg before then resetting. Of course it's not the AVG MPG since I last refueled as my car automatically resets after 4 hours off key., and I know that when that happens it does not retain the data. So let me get this straight. You have a 2019 Tucson that has a supervision cluster that you set to reset when refueling, but in addition to that it "automatically resets after 4 hours of not being on??? So like mine what the displayed AVG MPG can be if you don't refuel is the average for a few short trips in any day??? And there is nothing you can do to change that automatic reset after 4 hours of non-use???

·
Registered
503 Posts
It's a 2017 SE Tucson.
When the engine is on it displays the avg mpg since the last fillup.
When the engine is shut off it shows the trip mpg for a few seconds.
Only the trip mpg gets reset after being off a few hours.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's a 2017 SE Tucson.
When the engine is on it displays the avg mpg since the last fillup.
When the engine is shut off it shows the trip mpg for a few seconds.
Only the trip mpg gets reset after being off a few hours.
Many thanks! You have been very helpful. FYI, the base model Hyundai Elantra with a conventional cluster displays the Average MPH on the trip screens not the Average MPG. Sounds like the trip mpg logic may have erroneously ended up being used in the AVG MPG main display.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts