Hyundai Forums banner

Autostart With Proximity Key?

11K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  Hyundaiwho 
#1 ·
Has anyone had an autostart installed on their limited yet? Have you encountered any problems with the proximity key in conjunction? What price did you pay and what system did you get? Thanks!

#4 ·
QUOTE (bosco14 @ Nov 21 2010, 01:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373490
Does the factory offer a remote start for a 2011 2.0T?
This has been discussed a few times before without a definite answer. From what I remember a factory remote start is available but not in the US. I believe it was available in Canada or maybe Korea? I remember hearing they have an extra button on the factory Smartkey. People have asked several US dealers and they have never head of a factory remote start. I am not sure if and when the US market will receive it.

#13 ·
QUOTE (bosco14 @ Nov 21 2010, 01:05 AM)

This has been discussed a few times before without a definite answer. From what I remember a factory remote start is available but not in the US. I believe it was available in Canada or maybe Korea? I remember hearing they have an extra button on the factory Smartkey. People have asked several US dealers and they have never head of a factory remote start. I am not sure if and when the US market will receive it.

It was Canada that has it, but the system they sell is crap. It is a basic aftermarket remote start kit, and you have to add a second FOB to use that kit, plus you have to shut down and restart the car before you can drive off.

I have the Fortin module, with a Python remote start kit, just like the Optima guy. I can start the car with my factory FOB, with a double press of the lock button. I am not sure how he set it up to be able to use the smart key after the car is started. Once mine is running, the smart key falls asleep, and the only way to get in the car is with the remote start FOB, or to use the key to unlock the door, but the car shuts off that way.

There has got to be a way to make the factory prox key work after the car is started, but I haven't got that far yet.

#7 ·
I had a remote start put in my 2011 2.0 Limited at the dealer. Didn't use it at all during summer and started using it last month once in a while. Had it on same key ring as Fob. After finding car running at least 3 different times when I came out of house, decided to can the remote start. It seemed the button on remote is EXTREMELY sensitive. Came in house one day and tossed key ring in hat and onto dresser. Went back outside in about 15 mins and car was running. Fell asleep on counch with fob in pocket and woke up about 3 hrs later. Car was running.....

#12 ·
I did have a remote started installed at the dealer the day i bought my 2012 2.0t

it's a separated remote starter as they said it was IMPOSSIBLE to have it on the stock smartkey. I called few place and they all had the same speech

400$ installed was the price to pay for the remote with a smartkey system. At first i tought it was freaking expensive, but i then verified few instal shop and they all said it was real complicated to do that on these kind of car. I was even quote 600$ somewhere else....

it works well, but i still haven't used it alot

#14 ·
On groupon, there is a place that is selling a Omega RS-240-DP Remote start system with a bypass installed for $300 something. Has anyone ever heard of that company? Does this sound like a good deal? I don't think I can wait for the Bluelink to actually work.

#15 ·
I think I kept hitting the remote start button while napping. System may have a 15 min run limit, but I all I know is 3 hrs after I laid down, when I got up, car was running. While find out system name, but not really impressed with it. Think any "add on" system leaves much to be desired over a OEM installed system.

#19 ·
I really do not understand technically why it is so difficult and expensive to install a remote start system. My new Limited 2.0T, like all Sonatas, has a push to start system. Press the break pedal and push the Start Button = the car starts. That's a make or break on just two electrical circuits with the proximity key in the vehicle-- so add one signal.

Then consider that you can remote start with BlueLink . . . BlueLink sends a signal (RF, I suppose) via satellite and the engine starts and the flashers come on-- all without the proximity key fob anywhere near the car, so it is not always needed for a remote start. It would seem that everything needed to remote start the engine is already built in to the car . . . The remote start feature of the BlueLink is really the only feature that I think I would ever use-- but I don't think it is worth the price of the subscription, however.

I believe a good computer/electronic systems "hacker" could get this to work with minimal expense.

#20 ·
I really do not understand technically why it is so difficult and expensive to install a remote start system....

....I believe a good computer/electronic systems "hacker" could get this to work with minimal expense.
It would be very inexpensive if they started everything to be set-up for it, but it was not. The bluelink versions were set-up for it, though they gotcha locked into using their service. They want you to use their service, not something else they make no money off of. Putting these things in, after the fact, proves to be difficult. Not as simple as scotchlocking in a few wires. Many other things become effected to start, for a variety of reasons. Blame it the push button start....it adds more varibles into play. I, too, have a Limited, so I'm in the same boat. I have ( had ) other vehicles with remote start, and love it. Wish this car had it, or an easy add on. ( my Silverado was remote starting after a 45 minute install ).

A hacker, can do whatever, but it takes a lot of research, money, development, trials. When you think of the programs only being able to be used on the number of Sonata/Kia push button starts, then think of those who actually want the option, then the number of people who actually will pay for it, the number becomes pretty small. Then you get supply and demand, which means the price will be high enough to price some people out of the market. Many people are already balking at $400 installed.

#21 ·
I had to have my wifes after market remote start removed from her car. The unit failed to start her car when temps were below 10 degrees? They tried a couple of various units, all with the same results???

Really sucks, this was a option sold to us from our dealer who continues to sell them to others buying the Sonata??

I guess it works for everyone else??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.