Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently I had to have the windshield replaced on my 2012 i40 due to a crack. I made sure that the glazier understood the features required. I took a photo of the windshield identifiers in case they are useful in future.

My original windshield supported automatic wipers, automatic headlights and automatic defogging. From memory, on cold mornings when my windshield was foggy, the climate control system would blink the little windshield icon a few times and then show it constantly with the word "AUTO" next to it. Then after a few minutes it would turn off and instead there would be a little picture of a stick person with some arrows showing selected vents.

However after the windshield replacement, in the mornings and evenings (when it's a bit cold outside) this windshield icon with "AUTO" is always present. It does not turn off at all during my 30+ minute commute each way. However at lunch time, when the sun is out and it's warmer, it doesn't come on at all, which is what I'd expect.

Perhaps there's no harm in having the windshield defogger on all the time? However I've noticed that when it's active it does tend to direct air up to the windshield rather than to the vents I select, so it's not really ideal. It also forces the AC on, which isn't always helpful either.

So it looks like the sensor is working, but it might be too sensitive, or faulty. Does anyone know what I should do next? Is there a way to configure it? Should I go back to the glazier and ask them to sort it out? Frankly I don't think they know any more than just "plug the wires in"... what should I do?

EDIT: I'm aware that I can switch it to manual mode by holding the main "AUTO" button and pressing the manual windshield defog button four times in two seconds (as per the manual). This gives me manual control which is better than nothing. However what I'd really like is the old behaviour, prior to windshield replacement, since it was working really well!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like I might have found the problem. There really is a lot of dampness in the car following the windshield replacement, it builds up on the inside of the windows at night. And this weekend I found out why - the front passenger footwell is soaking wet. Looks like the windshield replacement didn't quite go according to plan! I have the car booked in for a windshield re-replacement and a 3 day dehumidification. Hopefully that sorts out the unusual windscreen defogging behaviour.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts