Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we know, there is no dipstick for the tranny fluid. I've got about 120,000 kms. on my 2011 Santa Fe.

I haven't looked the manual re recommended servicing, but I'm wondering what some of you do in this regard? Should I change it out now, what brand, is it worth going synthetic, etc?

I pull a 2000 lb. landscape trailer 6 months of the year, and this is my second season of doing so.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Regards, Paul.

·
Registered
35 Posts
While my 2007 recommends service every 30K miles, I believe your newer model SF is a sealed system that does not require it. However, due to your towing regiment, I believe I would check into it a little more and see if the heavier duty needs you experience call for more attention. What does your manual say about it?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Drain it and refill it.. provisions is available on auto trans case for drain and refill.. they had to fill at time of assembly..

6 speeder... Hyundai SPH-IV ATF is what called out, they recently changed number and oil come in grey bottle with yellow cap --> 00232-19057

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Fill for life is a marketing term, not an engineering one. Even under Europe's long fluid change intervals, the 6-speed still has a recommended change interval.

At 120,000 km I'd get the ATF changed on principle - as posted above the 6-speed needs Hyundai SPH-IV - also available branded as Kia and Mitsubishi Diamond but probably not yet available as a third party compatible in your market.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for your replies with information. It would seem that this car is my last one (I'm 71 yrs) so I want to treat it well. I do pile on the kms, mostly highway. I tried to borrow from the bank to get a 2013, but the bank said I would likely die before the debt was paid off. At least they were honest!

Regards, Paul.
Up here in Canada, eh?

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Paul

We have an 08 limited and we did changed the tranny fluid at 60k miles as the book says. We have 87k now and everything is going well!

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
You must have been asking for a loan with quite a long term! Life expectancy up your way is 79.5 for a male. If you're still doing landscaping, you may be in better shape than the average 71. I'd have found a different bank! :p

Still, now that you've got that many miles, it's at least worth a look. The only way to do the traditional visual/smell test of the fluid is to run a tiny bit out from the drain underneath. At 120Kkm (72K mi), especially with the regular towing you've been doing, just changing it is prudent in any case.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I feel better now canderson knowing that I'm not for the "forever box" anytime soon!

Good advice as usual. I'll get it done in November when my season ends.

I really like this car. I didn't realize how much it will pull until reading the manual.

Does anyone know if the tranny has a temperature sensor? My ScanGauge II doesn't show the temp like it did on my former GMC Sierra 1500. Only water temp.

Regards, Paul.

·
Registered
659 Posts
It has a temperature sensor, but it is not available to most OBD2 readers. A poster on here got xgauge codes from scangauge for both motor oil and transmission oil temps. I can't remember where he posted them though.

·
Registered
336 Posts
My wifes 2011 SF V6 has 30K miles and I am considering doing an ATF drain and fill... I am sure there is tranny break-in crap in the old fluid that should be drained out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found the info on the ScanGauge site. I posted a link prior to this post, but no show.

Go to the ScanGauge website,
Support,
X-Gauge Commands,
scroll down to "Hyundai/Kia Specific" link.

Codes are for transmission and engine oil temps.

Regards, Paul.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Try the following XGauges:-

07E121A0 032200000000 2808 00090005FFD8 TFT
or
07E121A0 032500000000 2008 00090005FFD8 TFT

These were given by Linear Logic - they don't work for the diesel automatic version but may work for the petrol/gasoline variants.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
@SantaFeFan
Not sure you really need to do this so early. Without any unusual stresses, things should be fine until 60K, and you've been circulating any break-in material around already for 30K. That kind of operation, in the case of certain engine rebuilds, etc., is typically only done much earlier - within 500~1000 miles - and you're way past that.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
@SantaFeFan
I can't remember which year you own, and you don't specify below your avatar.

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is fine as a replacement for SP-III, good for 2007~2009 models. However, I have never seen this recommended as an SP-IV replacement (2010+ models). May well be a viscosity issue.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have used Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid successfully in my 2011 Sonata which is also spec'ed for SP-IV. And at $7/qt it's much cheaper and fully synthetic which the OEM fluid is not for $20/qt.

·
Registered
336 Posts
My wifes SF is a 2011... Maxlife ATF does have SP-IV listed on the bottle. Most likely, I'll probably hold off for a while.

·
Registered
659 Posts
My hope is that as time goes on quart bottles will appear all over walmart of SPH IV licensed fluid. Getting ATF4 for Chrysler cars used to be difficult and expensive to do, now it runs $5 / quart at Walmart. I also wish the tranny had a dipstick. Filling through the dipstick is *much* easier than filling through a fill plug underneath the car.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Filling through the dipstick is *much* easier than filling through a fill plug underneath the car.
There is 2 fill point on top of trans to refill the case..

1 - there at top of A/T side pan,, use long 3/8 extension to unscrew the hex plug, long reach funnel and fill

2 - plug on rear of trans above drive unit, 15/16 socket on extension to remove, long reach funnel..

In both instance of refill and fluid level inspect, remove the inspection plug at lower corner of side pan and inspect same as old differential or manual trans oil level inspection.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts