Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don't trust the mods here, Never use O.E.M. anything, REMEMBER They use the cheapest shite available in building the vehicles, and rebrand. They don't make oil, they make cars, They buy cheap and rebrand to sell high.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My dealer in Winetr Haven, FL quoted me $189.95, plus tax, for a real flush & refill.
Flushing a transmission is a very bad idea. Shops like to do it because it saves them time and a little bit of money and they can in and out more cars. Always insist the pan be dropped whenever you have a transmission service. If the shop refuses to do it find another shop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys might not be the right place to ask but I have a 1999 sonata and am trying to change atf and filter. Does anyone know if they have a filter? And the process on changing it all? Can't find any details online.
Also my car requires SPII and Hyundai dealerships and head office couldn't give me info on an alternative. Having a lot of difficulty overall

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
Hi guys might not be the right place to ask but I have a 1999 sonata and am trying to change atf and filter. Does anyone know if they have a filter? And the process on changing it all? Can't find any details online.
Also my car requires SPII and Hyundai dealerships and head office couldn't give me info on an alternative. Having a lot of difficulty overall
Stick with SPII, III or IV. They should be backwards compatible. Then maybe you won't have further problems! ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,

Is there any difference between ATF DEXRON III, ATF DEXRON II, or ATF SP-III?

I'm not able to find the last type in the local market which was recomended by the user manual for replacing the Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Appreceating your kind comments.
The SP-III designation used exclusively by Hyundai is designed to sell their own product and it is exactly compatible with the DEXRON-III specification. The SP-I've spec, likewise used by Hyundai is compatible with the DEXRON-VI spec. This is an even higher grade and is backwards compatible with the SP-III Hyundai spec.

Valvoline MaxLife is a DEXRON-VI / SP-IV spec ATF fluid and is recommended for all Hyundai ATF except CVT models. Buying genuine Hyundai fluid is a waste of money if your car calls for either the SP-III or SP-IV specification fluid as many reputable manufacturers (such as Valvoline) sell the equivalent specification fluid for a much better price.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
I'm just going to add a few things to the discussion ...

I'm not sure ALL transmission fluid isn't synthetic. I know all brake fluid is. They put Synthetic on the label to make it SOUND like a better fluid, but it really is the same thing.

I had my Ford Focus (2002) serviced by two different local shops. One said I should definitely use Mercon V in it, the other said they used a universal fluid that was good for any transmission, it ran fine both times.

That said, if you have a transmission failure during the PT warranty, I'm sure HMC will try to deny coverage if you used anything other than their fluid installed at their dealers.

For the RB Accent (wrong thread), severe service interval is 60K miles and normal is no service required, so it isn't a big hardship to me to pay $200 at the dealer every 6-8 years or so ...

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I have been using Valvoline Maxlife for years in everything except cvt transmission my daughter has. Use it in Kia, Hyundai, Mitsubishi, Ford, GM and Chrysler. Meets all their specs. In Nearly a million miles of usage have never had a tranny failure. Also, Hyundai SantaFe shifts much better with it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
To clear up several things.
1. The transmission in those Hyundai models is actually a Mitsubishi one (or Mitsubishi-licensed made by Hyundai in newer models). The fluid to be used (SP-II, SP-III) is re-branded by Hyundai leaving out the "Diamond" trademark (Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II, SP-III).
The fluid that Castrol sells labeled as "TRANSMAX™ Import Multi-Vehicle" is perfectly compatible too. Also, the Castrol "Transmax™ High Mileage" has the same data sheet characteristics and it is listed as compatible.
2. There is no user serviceable filter in those transmissions. To reach the "lifetime" filter you need to take apart the transmission. Only drain and refill is available for users.
3. There are synthetic transmission fluids, for example Castrol calls it "transmax full synthetic multi-vehicle" but since the data sheet shows " low viscosity formulation specially designed to deliver performance and maximum fuel efficiency for modern automatic transmissions", lower compared to the older spec "import multi-vehicle", I would definitely stay away.
4. Unrelated, the Mercon V that Ford requires has the same characteristics as the above "multi-vehicle" oils. It's just a trademarking and companies have to pay for that "certification". I didn't find any evidence that it would have anything else "special" in it. The older Mercon had lower values and probably was responsable for transmission failures to the point that ford issued a TSB to replace the Mercon fluid with Mercon V even in older vehicles that didn't come with it.

I have used the Castrol datasheets because they are easy to find and well organized. I am using Castrol in all my transmissions, just to avoid mixing different brands of oils, this is not an endorsement.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Also, there was a post on TN where a dealer changed the Corolla CVT fluid with normal ATF. The owner took it back and got it corrected, but there was apparently no damage to the transmission.

Take that for what it is worth. I'm not recommending using non-approved fluid, but the tranny probably won't grenade immediately if you do ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
well i call bs because people are stupid there is wat is called a sae number on all fluids its the Society of American engineers that fluid has been tested to meet or exceed all mfg specs. People just dump in generic transmission fluid that does not meet the requirements to keep that transmission fluid oiling correctly.
there have been several instances of auto. box problems that have been directly contributed to the incorrect use of ATF fluid, if you want to take that chance well thats up to you, personally l think that paying the extra money for the correct SP111 fluid is well worth the peace of mind, it's alot cheaper that a new gearbox!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not teyin to advertise for any mfg here. But they claim to meet the sae spec

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've been using the royal purple max atf for about 60k now and no issues shifts a bit better than it did. Also installed a inline magnafine filter about 20k ago. Planning on picking up another and cutting open the old one and see how it's been doing

·
Registered
70 Posts
To clear up several things.
1. The transmission in those Hyundai models is actually a Mitsubishi one (or Mitsubishi-licensed made by Hyundai in newer models). The fluid to be used (SP-II, SP-III) is re-branded by Hyundai leaving out the "Diamond" trademark (Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II, SP-III).
The fluid that Castrol sells labeled as "TRANSMAX™ Import Multi-Vehicle" is perfectly compatible too. Also, the Castrol "Transmax™ High Mileage" has the same data sheet characteristics and it is listed as compatible.
2. There is no user serviceable filter in those transmissions. To reach the "lifetime" filter you need to take apart the transmission. Only drain and refill is available for users.
3. There are synthetic transmission fluids, for example Castrol calls it "transmax full synthetic multi-vehicle" but since the data sheet shows " low viscosity formulation specially designed to deliver performance and maximum fuel efficiency for modern automatic transmissions", lower compared to the older spec "import multi-vehicle", I would definitely stay away.
4. Unrelated, the Mercon V that Ford requires has the same characteristics as the above "multi-vehicle" oils. It's just a trademarking and companies have to pay for that "certification". I didn't find any evidence that it would have anything else "special" in it. The older Mercon had lower values and probably was responsable for transmission failures to the point that ford issued a TSB to replace the Mercon fluid with Mercon V even in older vehicles that didn't come with it.

I have used the Castrol datasheets because they are easy to find and well organized. I am using Castrol in all my transmissions, just to avoid mixing different brands of oils, this is not an endorsement.
Everything here is correct except the statement about the serviceable filter the early f4a41 and the f4a51 automatic transmissions used in Hyundais did have a serviceable top mounted filter I think this stopped in 2001 or 2002 you can still see where this filter sat on later castings.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Weber University has a technical department that has produced 5 videos on the the history of transmission fluids. At the 33 minute mark of this video the professor addresses multi-vehicle transmission fluids.

·
Registered
564 Posts
But they claim to meet the sae spec
Valvoline MaxLive became lately the darling of all the DYI people that have transmissions with Low Viscosity (Fuel Efficient) class of fluids. Me included, I used it in place of the Toyota WS fluid that, at only 70k miles, was black.
Synthetic fluid, great specs, $18/gallon at Wally. The OE WS fluid, at Toyota dealer, is $13/Qt.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts