Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Is there any difference between ATF DEXRON III, ATF DEXRON II, or ATF SP-III?

I'm not able to find the last type in the local market which was recomended by the user manual for replacing the Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Appreceating your kind comments.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
always use the genuine SP111 fluid, this is only available from your dealer, l know it is much more expensive but it will save you problems later

·
Registered
5 Posts
The brain washing continues. Without making a statement that is not correct I think most people are like sheep and with a little reading you will find as I did that aftermarket products are not all bad. Some have given others a bad name. I put Amsoil universal ATF in my 03 Sonada. Shouldn't have to change it again. Look at regular reports made by people like you & I and you'll find it to last 3 times as long as the factory stuff. NOW don't get me wrong I am not telling you to use it instead of the factory ATF. Just see what others have said and YOU deside. :)

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
there have been several instances of auto. box problems that have been directly contributed to the incorrect use of ATF fluid, if you want to take that chance well thats up to you, personally l think that paying the extra money for the correct SP111 fluid is well worth the peace of mind, it's alot cheaper that a new gearbox!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I'll back up montego here- I have seen several cases of the trans not functioning properly after a generic type ATF is used. I haven't personally delt with a trans failure because of it, but I do know it does happen, and your much better off sticking with the Hyundai ATF. And as for never having to change your ATF again because your using amsoil- I'm sure you'll make a Hyundai dealer very happy when they get paid cash out of your pocket instead of to replace your tranny because you don't think you need to change the fluid.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
AND KEEP IN MIND,
that if there is any problem with the auto baox, a maintenance record MUST be produced (unless the car was serviced at the dealer). If the record show other ATF then SPlll, the warranty is void.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Belive it or not, my dealer did not have that ype of oil and he recomend me to get it from the market :grin:

Not only that, no body heared of the SP-III type !!

The best type that I can get from the market (and it's the hihgest in price) is AC Delco DEXRON III.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
do not use dextron lll or any other type of fluid, l can not believe that your main dealer can not order the correct SPlll fluid for you, try another dealer

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi all,
I have a 1998 sonata GLS and I want to know if 100% synthetic automatic transmission fluid (tech 2000 from wal-mart) is a good choice even if you say that the best choice is SP-III. Synhetic fluid is it better than regular non-synthetic?

Thank you for your help, a french guy, Derick :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think it's pretty clear from all discussion. No one can guarantee the use of fluid other than factory recommended (SP-III), especially on ATF. I like the way montego put it... prepare a savings account for a replacement gear box.

Plus, I just read my manual. Damage due to non-specified fluid (I assume this refers to any other fliud other than Hyundai ATF, Daimond ATF SP-III and SK ATF SP-III) will void the warranty.

So, if you do, do it at your own risk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Kia trans fluid and Hyundai trans fluid are the same. Whey even have the same serial number with a different sticker. The Kia fluid is about 35% less than the Hyundai fluid.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here's the thing...I just looked on AMSOIL's Web site and their universal tranny fluid is $9.05 a quart plus shipping. I got SP III from my local Hyundai dealer for $5.50 a quart. So I would stick with the genuine Hyundai, and save the receipt for a warranty claim. :thumbsup:

John

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello - I see some mis-information above so I thought I would chime in. I'm new to the Hyundai community with my recent Sonata purchase.

First off, the Kia and Hyundai fluids are NOT all the same. The KIA Red 1 fluid is unique, no one makes a substitute. Similarly, the 6 speed ATFs made by Aisin Warner take a unique transmission fluid, and only Mobil makes a substitute for this (Mobil 3309) since it's designed for the Aisin Warner automatic transmission line. So, be careful and make sure you go to fluid compatibility listings on the fluid manufacturers websites. This is because every oil/lubricant has a specification that must be met.

That being said, Mobil 1 synthetic ATF IS compatible with the 3 fluids listed in the Hyudai literature (HYUNDAI GENUINE ATF SP III, DIAMOND
ATF SP III, SK ATF SP III). See this link for confirmation. https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorO...thetic_ATF.aspx You may not find it as cheap as others, but perhaps you want this synthetic.

In reality, as I understand it, the specification for this fluid is "SP III". Theoretically any fluid that is advertised by reputable manufacturers to meet this specification can be used. I've not verified this last tidbit, but that's my understanding. For sure the Mobil 1 ATF is compatible. My guess is that the manufacturers for any "SP-III" fluid will list the Hundai fluid in their compatibility list. For what it's worth - to help you with my credibility, I'm an engineer.

Good luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think there was an earlier thread that mentioned a certain type of Mitsubishi fluid is the same -- if the guy is in Saudi Arabia and it's an emergency, can't he use the Mitsubishi "Genuine Diamond ATF SP-II" (old type, no longer avail) /SP-III (new type)" fluid, at least temporarily? Assuming he can get to a Mitsubishi dealer. Nowadays, one would think he could order the Hyundai/KIA/Mitsubishi fluid over the Internet from somewhere. I know my Hyundai shop manual says to use the Diamond ATF SP-II[/III] fluid. Funny because people on Mitsubishi blogs actually have the same exact discussions as we do on the topic -- can't find or dont want to pay for Diamond fluid from the Mitsubishi dealer so can they use Hyundai or Kia fluid or Mercon, etc....

Amazing how these automakers use such widely differing types of fluid in their transmissions and other systems. It can definitely make maintenance a real challenge, and unnecessarily costly. Especially some of the products like hydraulic fluid used in some European cars, and these transmission fluids used in the Asian makes.

Hyundai still, as far as I know, even on its new models, uses standard 30,000 mi ethylene glycol radiator coolant, which by now I would have thought they would have changed to the organic long-life coolant types. At least they have been consistent keeping the oil at 5W-30.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I'm new here. My Sonata is a 1992 V6 3.0 (made in Canada) with Mitsubishi motor and 52.000 miles on the clock. The manual says that you can use Diamond ATF SP, Mopar ATF Plus Type 7176 or Hyundai Fluid. The last evolution of Diamond ATF SP and Mopar ATF Plus Type 7176 are "SPIII" and "ATF+4". It's hard to believe that I should not use ATF+4.

·
Registered
290 Posts
QUOTE (Celso @ Apr 18 2010, 08:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314493
Hi, I'm new here. My Sonata is a 1992 V6 3.0 (made in Canada) with Mitsubishi motor and 52.000 miles on the clock. The manual says that you can use Diamond ATF SP, Mopar ATF Plus Type 7176 or Hyundai Fluid. The last evolution of Diamond ATF SP and Mopar ATF Plus Type 7176 are "SPIII" and "ATF+4". It's hard to believe that I should not use ATF+4.
This has been a conundrum, Mitsubishi trannys used in Hyundai, Kia and Mitsubishi cars require the use of SPIII, whereas the very same model of transmission used in a Chrysler product use Mopar ATF+3 or ATF+4 fluid. Most people think the fluid type is critical to the function of the transmission, and for the most part, that is not true. All ATFs are hydraulic fluids that will effect lubrication and permit the transmission to transmit power from the engine to the differential. The key difference in different ATF types is compatability with internal conditions (pressure and temperature) and compatability with internal components, especially seals, of the transmission. Want to gut the seals out of a Mitsubishi tranny? Fill it with Dexron III.

Since warranty is not an issue with your 1992 Sonata, I would think you could use either ATF+3 or ATF+4 in the tranny. I believe Mopar specifications indicate either can be used in tranny's designed to use 7176. Can ATF+3 or ATF+4 be used in an SPIII transmission? Discussion on the BITOG (Bob Is The Oil Guy) site suggest the 3 fluids are similar, but not totally the same. I would be reluctant to do so, especially if my 100K powertrain warranty was an issue. If I had need to pour something else in a SPIII tranny on an emergency basis, one the Mopar ATF+3/4 products would be my first choice but I would fix, flush and refill with SPIII asap.

BTW, Amsoil, Mobil, Valvoline and other fluids claiming "compatabilty" is not the same as fluid that meet SPIII specifications. Compatability is claimed by maunfacturers that think their product is functionally like the original product. Meeting specifications means it has been tested to be functionally equivilent (both chemically and physically) to the orignal product. The two claims are not the same. No one really knows what is happening to the life of these trannys running compatable fluids.

·
Registered
8 Posts
what's so special about the SPIII? So special that other manufacturers just somehow is not that smart enough to create an ATF fluid that is up to par with the SPIII.. LOL! Reminds me of when Toyota told me i should only be using Toyota genuine motor oil.. LOL! In reality, those oil are just as cheap shiet as conventional oil and still cost $6/quart when mobil 1 syn is the same price and a lot better in quality..

stop being brainwashed people.. There is a law in the U.S. that it's illegal to force customers to use OEM fluids or warranty will be voided.....

1 - 20 of 57 Posts