Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day beautiful people.
I want to install an inline ATF magnetic filter *magnefine ".
Does anyone know on what line it should be installed on?
Also can you tell me what is the return line and what is the outgoing line.
My assumption is the one in yellow on the pictures is the return as it goes to the fill port.

Where should the filter be installed before the radiator or after .
I plan on taking one of the hoses out cut it and install the filter on it.
Please help the pictures are of the lines and the filter.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well did it, please see the pictures and let me know if it looks ok.
In have attached the filter with a pipe clamp and a bracket to a hole I found with some nuts and bolts the original hose has removed and replaced with a new one with the filter in the middle.
Take a look at at the pictures .
The hose is a ATF specific hose I got from the pats store.

·
Registered
882 Posts
That's not a good idea, you put a filter here, adding more resistance to the oil flow.

It says it won't restrict the oil flow, but if you cut it in half, there's a normal paper filter inside, just same as "in line fuel filter" in the past. What will happen when it's all clogged up? Or the paper filter fall apart?

By the way, that will definitely void the warranty when dealer see this

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plan on changing the filter every 10k.
My question is if it is on the right spot?
I have been monitoring the ATF temp it is not going over 200 Fahrenheit.

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
Why? You don't trust the magnet on the bottom of the pan or internal filter? Waste of time and money but that's your choice. Here's the way to determine which line is which. The hot fluid comes out of the transmission and goes into the TOP of the radiator.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The internal filter as far I have read is not a filter but a mesh .
Also I would love to have the possibility to change the A filter between the ATF changes for change the inline filter every 10k and ATF every 30k.

I was not planning on doing anything like that and keep it stock BUT.

Brand new car with 30K on it the fluid that I took out at ONLY 30K was discussing
Very brown with some kind of sediment once left to settle.

If I was following the dealer recommendation not to change it ever i can't imagine after 100k.

I want to keep the car for a long time as a daily driver.

And this filter would help me keep an eye on the fluid and give me a piece of mind.
Why? You don't trust the magnet on the bottom of the pan or internal filter? Waste of time and money but that's your choice. Here's the way to determine which line is which. The hot fluid comes out of the transmission and goes into the TOP of the radiator.

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
The internal filter as far I have read is not a filter but a mesh .
Also I would love to have the possibility to change the A filter between the ATF changes for change the inline filter every 10k and ATF every 30k.

I was not planning on doing anything like that and keep it stock BUT.

Brand new car with 30K on it the fluid that I took out at ONLY 30K was discussing
Very brown with some kind of sediment once left to settle.

That doesn't sound good. At 30K I would think it would still be close to what fresh looks like. Maybe a little darker but clear and without sediment.

If I was following the dealer recommendation not to change it ever i can't imagine after 100k.

I want to keep the car for a long time as a daily driver.

And this filter would help me keep an eye on the fluid and give me a piece of mind.

Given the looks of the fluid I can understand your concern. It certainly won't hurt but I would think that filter shouldn't need replacing more than every 25K...
I hope your transmission gives you many miles of good service.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you refer to the pictures on the original post . I think I have installed it on the wrong line and I t he wrong direction.

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
There should be an arrow on the filter showing direction of flow. Flow goes into top of core and out the bottom. If your filter is cut into the top line the arrow should be pointing toward the radiator. If it's cut into the bottom should be pointing toward the transmission.
Can't tell which line you cut or the arrow on the filter.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Grcauto I want to thank you for the time you spent with my issue and I really appreciate your help .
Here are two pictures showing what I did ..the first one show the stock hoses.
Second one is after the install.
What I did is I removed the "Red line " and put the filter on it thinking the flow "flow ? " goes as shown by the arrows on the pictures.

If you can just tell me is the red or the yellow line the outgoing flow line would be greatly appreciated .
Thank you

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I need some concrete info about my filter placement.
Now I can't sleep right thinking it's in the wrong place.

Still monitoring AT oil temp it's 194 -200 range at operating temps.

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
Grcauto I want to thank you for the time you spent with my issue and I really appreciate your help .
Here are two pictures showing what I did ..the first one show the stock hoses.
Second one is after the install.
What I did is I removed the "Red line " and put the filter on it thinking the flow "flow ? " goes as shown by the arrows on the pictures.

If you can just tell me is the red or the yellow line the outgoing flow line would be greatly appreciated .
Thank you

Looks like you have it right. It's going into the top of the radiator and in the right direction. You are good.
BTW You are very welcome. I'm glad to set your mind at ease.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks like you have it right. It's going into the top of the radiator and in the right direction. You are good.
It's leaving the top of the transmission but it's going to the bottom of the radiator .
The top is the "yellow line".
I thought the pressure is going in the bottom of the radio to be able to push out from the Tom and fight the gravity ?
Wrong ?

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
It's leaving the top of the transmission but it's going to the bottom of the radiator .
I thought the pressure is going in the bottom of the radio to be able to push out from the Tom and fight the gravity ?
Wrong ?

The way a radiator works is the hot fluid comes into the top of the radiator and exits the bottom. The same is true for both the water/antifreeze and the transmission. Maybe I didn't understand your picture. The line with the filter is the line that goes into the top of the radiator. Right? That's what I thought by your diagram. If the line with the filter is the line coming out of the lower part of the radiator than the filter is installed backwards and needs to be turned around. Flow goes into the top of the radiator and goes to transmission out of the bottom.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Called the dealer and asked for a mechanic..they said the red hose is the exit and the yellow is the return , if that is true..then the return comes out from the TOP of the radiator and the pressure goes on the bottom.
So my install and the pictures are right.
I have been driving alot with the OBD scanner in hand and the temp doesn't go above 198f.

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
Called the dealer and asked for a mechanic..they said the red hose is the exit and the yellow is the return , if that is true..then the return comes out from the TOP of the radiator and the pressure goes on the bottom.
I have been driving alot with the OBD scanner in hand and the temp doesn't go above 198f.

I'm not sure why they would do it the opposite way. It has to be in the way they configure the inner core for the tranny fluid. News to me.

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
Wrong ?

Provided the system is closed, which it is, it would make more sense to not work against gravity. Why add the extra work to the pump? I will have to research this. Goes against the grain. They must have their reasoning, I just don't know what it is.

·
Registered
12 Posts

What are you using to monitor Trans Temp? I can't find a PID for it in Torque Pro.

And nice work on the filter install, nothing wrong with extra clean oil.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What are you using to monitor Trans Temp? I can't find a PID for it in Torque Pro.

And nice work on the filter install, nothing wrong with extra clean oil.
Thank you.
I'll post see more pictures of the install soon.
I'm using the Foxwell NT520pro for Hyindai Kia.
Great enrty level semi pro scanner.
I got it so I can program my winter TPMS sensors and it turned out quite good for the $.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts