Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father keeps insisting that I put a transmission cooler on my Sonata. I see no need for this, as the car is not used as a taxi or a towing vehicle. I travel 100 miles/ week, half highway, half city.

On the other hand, I have read that Hyundais have weak transmissions. Would a cooler help prevent future problems?

·
Registered
63 Posts
QUOTE (amscutellata @ Sep 16 2010, 04:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356701
My father keeps insisting that I put a transmission cooler on my Sonata. I see no need for this, as the car is not used as a taxi or a towing vehicle. I travel 100 miles/ week, half highway, half city.

On the other hand, I have read that Hyundais have weak transmissions. Would a cooler help prevent future problems?
Hi, I travel about the same as You about 100-120 miles a week. 50/50 highway city, I change the transmission fluid every
20k and have had no problems at all. a cooler would be needed if you were towing a small popup camper or something like
it. otherwise normal driving not needed.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
the sonata (like all automatics) already has a transmission cooler, it is built into the lower part of the radiator

·
Registered
57 Posts
QUOTE (Montego @ Sep 16 2010, 04:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356711
the sonata (like all automatics) already has a transmission cooler, it is built into the lower part of the radiator

When you say "built in" ... do you mean it's a small radiator attached to the front of the coolant radiator, but is not actually part of the coolant radiator. This is quite common - same with A/C condensers... seems lots of things with fins are up front of cars these days. LOL!

Just making sure.

If it didn't, it sure would be a good investment to increase tranny longevity.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
the trans. cooler is part of the radiator, the small one in front of it is the cooler for the power steering

·
Banned
335 Posts
QUOTE (jsinton @ Sep 16 2010, 06:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356722
Adding a trans cooler is a really good idea. It's cheap insurance for your trans.
So if we already have one, and the Sonata is not going to be used for towing or as a commercial vehicle, why exactly would we need another one?
Also I would like to see these "Weak Transmission" reports the original poster is talking about? A new one on me? Covered under Warranty for 10 years :trophy:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nah, you don't need one.

****.. 100 miles a week? I drive 60-70 miles in a day through the city, and see no need for one.

If you're really working it, stopping and going, racing through the city - it would be good insurance as others have said - but also as others have said there's already a sufficient device.

Tell your dad to stop being such a nancy! :p :bwekk:

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
The fact is every automatic car I've ever seen has a cooler built into the radiator. Another fact is that heat is what wears out an automatic trans. And a third fact is that most modern cars will burn up the automatic trans long before the motor wears out. And finally, trans cooler are cheap.

If you're comfortable with your car without an extra trans cooler, then more power to you. As for me, the last 15 years or so, every automatic trans car I bought got a trans cooler installed first thing. Heat is the enemy, so the easiest thing to do is install a cooler, the bigger the better.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Just by chance does your father own any type of large rear wheel drive ford product? Those ford guys with cars like the Crown Vic, or Lincolns praise remote transmission coolers and filters. I don't see a need though, have the trans drained and filled every 30K miles (including the torque converter) besides 100 miles a week? Thats baby steps, your car has a 10 year 100 thousand mile warranty on the trans anyway.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I flushed my ATF at 25,000 miles and it was pitch black.

I also use the Torque Pro App with the Hyundai Advanced plug-in to monitor different temps and PIDs.

I've seen my ATF get up to 220* just on the ride home from work if I pick up my nieces and nephews and bring them home with me. Basically all up hill driving with the AC on and with the Hot Summer heat. That small OEM cooler doesn't really attack the temps as much as I'd like.

So, I don't think it hurts at all. Plus, you can use a B&M LPD "Low pressure Drop" AT cooler which has a viscosity bypass valve inside that allows the ATF to get up to temp during the winter, and is small enough to just mount directly in front of the condenser so the FAN pulls cooling air during stop and go traffic in the summer. And you don't have to worry about changing the ATF pressure just in case it's overly sensitive to that sort of thing.

It's perfect, small, cheap and very easy to install.

Turbo GDI's run HOT in the engine bay. This is great insurance IMO. I'm almost done my install. See how it works I guess in spring/summer of next year lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts