Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Kona to my dealer this morning, Russell Westbrook of Garden Grove, CA. They scanned the OBD and determined the FCA was not working. They fixed it and told me there's a Technical Service Bulletin # 18-BR-001 out addressing this issue as several people have complained about it. It took about two hours for them to fix it.

If you have a problem with your Automatic Emergency Braking aka Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist with Pedestrian Detection, like I had, Hyundai just issued Technical Service Bulletin 18-BR-001, Automatic Emergency Braking. I am attaching the document so everyone has access to it.

John

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
John -- I just read the Bullitin 18-BR-001 - All that does unless I an missing something is repeat what is in the owners manual. I did not see anywhere where it said to do something to fix a system that does not work ?? what did your dealer do to fix your system that took 2 hours to fix ?
Thanks --georgewellskona

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Sounds like a lot of people have been trying to test the system, themselves, and they put this out to tell the owners, not to! ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
John --- in your previous message you said " I'll take my Kona to the dealer next Monday and ask them to take a look at it and prove it to me if they find no fault." -- when they said that they fixed it did they do anything to show you to your satisfaction that it works ??
I have yet to have any indications on the LCD or even a partial brake application when I get at least 2 feet behind a stopped car before I apply the brake.!!
I still can not comprehend the fact that Hyundai says they have no way to test the function of the System.
Thanks, georgewellskona

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
What they fix ??

Bulletin is essentially telling us we need to pay attention while driving

·
Registered
1 Posts
Excuse for bad english.

Our Kona has the problem, that FCA dosen't work seriously. FCA sometimes working when the car in front going left or right. FCA never works when a car in front stops
The dealer said, that he can't test the FCA and i should make a test at my own ("use bed sheeds").
So it's interesting what they fix.

The FCA in our Cherokee works very well.

The TSB is only a decribtion how it should work.

Nihl

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am on vacation and have been driving my Ioniq Hybrid. As I have stated before, the FCA works great on my Ioniq. I have not had a chance to test the Kona as I put it in my garage after I came back from the dealer last Wednesday. But I have misgiving about it. Next week I will test it. I believe there are a lot of faulty units out there and Hyundai needs to step up their game or they'll be hit with a class lawsuit about defective safety equipment. Let's hope it doesn't come to that. My '17 Elantra Limited Ultimate worked just great as well

John

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I am on vacation and have been driving my Ioniq Hybrid. As I have stated before, the FCA works great on my Ioniq. I have not had a chance to test the Kona as I put it in my garage after I came back from the dealer last Wednesday. But I have misgiving about it. Next week I will test it. I believe there are a lot of faulty units out there and Hyundai needs to step up their game or they'll be hit with a class lawsuit about defective safety equipment. Let's hope it doesn't come to that. My '17 Elantra Limited Ultimate worked just great as well

John
I'll be the third person to ask you, What did they fix?? The TSB doesn't describe any repair.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I took my Kona to my dealer this morning, Russell Westbrook of Garden Grove, CA. They scanned the OBD and determined the FCA was not working. They fixed it and told me there's a Technical Service Bulletin # 18-BR-001 out addressing this issue as several people have complained about it. It took about two hours for them to fix it.

If you have a problem with your Automatic Emergency Braking aka Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist with Pedestrian Detection, like I had, Hyundai just issued Technical Service Bulletin 18-BR-001, Automatic Emergency Braking. I am attaching the document so everyone has access to it.

John

Mine shows nothing about automatic braking on the display like this bulletin has

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was at the dealer today because I don't think my FCA works even after the so called "fix" last week. Having driven a "17 Elantra Ultimate and a '18 Ioniq Ultimate, the FCA in both cars worked great so I think I pretty much know by the way I drive whether it works or not. But not on the Kona! I get no alarm, no automatic braking, nothing. I had a long talk with the service advisor who talked to the technician who looked at my car. Just a bunch of bull! I will contact Hyundai tomorrow and tell them of my concern. I need them to prove to me that the FCA works or else I want my money back.

·
Registered
36 Posts
John -- l have an appointment at the Dealer tomorrow to see what they can do to mine that has been not working since I got It as all my posts say. I went about 2 weeks ago and got the same story you have been getting !!
The appointment tomorrow was set up by the Hyundai Fountain valley rep so we will see what happens !!
I feel like you do -- get it working or take it back !!
Thanks. --. georgewellskona ----. George Wells

·
Registered
36 Posts
I went to the dealer yesterday to keep the appointment set up by the Hyundai rep and I think the dealer sort of agrees that the FCA does not work right.
He called and talked to Hyundai for quite a while and he is keeping my car at his place while he is waiting for some answers from Hyundai ! !
I think the dealer is trying to resolve the problem and I will give him time before I complain further up the chain !!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I went to the dealer yesterday to keep the appointment set up by the Hyundai rep and I think the dealer sort of agrees that the FCA does not work right.
He called and talked to Hyundai for quite a while and he is keeping my car at his place while he is waiting for some answers from Hyundai ! !
I think the dealer is trying to resolve the problem and I will give him time before I complain further up the chain !!

Dealer folks cannot do any re-engineer of car or systems,, that a Hyundai Motor Engineering task, then dealer people do work as instructed by Hyundai Motor.

Reactions: janaheim

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's about what I said !! I don't expect the dealer to anything on his own.That is why he kept the car while waiting for answers. I will Just wait and drive his loner car
georgewellskona.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks George. I'll have to do the same. Today driving to my home from the gym a pedestrian walked in front of my car about 20 feet away and nothing. I applied the brakes. This will probably end up in Hyundai issuing a recall for defective FCA's.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I called Hyundai Customer Service and they took down my information, assigned me a case number, and told me someone from corporate will be calling me in three to five business days. I hope George will have good news about getting his car fixed so I will too, but the cynicism in me is not hopeful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’m in the same situation as George, Kona is at the dealer awaiting an engineer to arrive Wednesday. Was provided a rental til then.

Local dealer has been very helpful.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Janaheim -- John -- That's the same route they took me - Maybe you will get Juan the rep from Fountain Valley who got my case !! - Lets hope they are not just dumping the problem on their Dealers are are letting us sit at the dealers waiting for a fix.I would think the Hyundai Engineering Dept. are seriously working to fix the FCA since more and more people are having the problems.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts