Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I know I should wash my Santy myself by hand. I know I will do that for a couple of months... then I will probably use a local automatic car wash.

I keep mine in the garage and I would get it cleaned every couple of weeks.

I see a Chevron gas station claims its car wash is brushless. I still see something spinning and touching the vehicle when operating. Anyways, that would be my top choice for now.

I have heard about touchless car wash and it looks like there are some cons: high water pressure can actually damage your paint...

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have never used a car wash with a car I cared about, my 10 year old grand Am gt is a virgin. But to answer your question I'll ask a question: if there is no form of friction to rub the dirt off how abrasive must the chemical be they are using? And with the pressures of the water what if you have a little stone chip that started to peel you didn't notice?

If you must soft cloth is the better way to go. They go through a rinse cycle every few washes.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I have never used a car wash with a car I cared about.
+1.

That said, my brother uses a touchless wash during the winter months on his vehicles when when he cannot wash indoors, and he's never had an issue. Definitely not brushes. Although soft cloth might be better than brushes, you risk going in just after someone who had a badly soiled vehicle. I have my doubts that even rinse would take everything out and then you have a cloth embedded with sand and dirt running over your hood, sides etc. Especially true up here where a sand/salt mixture is constantly used on the roads in the winter months. Not a risk I would be willing to take.

I am fortunate in that my garage is insulated and drywalled, and I have a strong heater, and hot/cold water taps. So my vehicles get washed in the garage in winter months, except when we hit truly cold weather (-20 and below). Every now and then, I take it to the spray wash to blast the underbody.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Yah...I wouldn't take it to a car wash. Sure it's convenient, but in the long run can/does damage your car.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agree, the automatic car wash will damage you car to some extent. I am trying to figure out the one which does less damage... If someone out there has ever compared Chevron vs Shell etc...
My understanding so far is that touchless and brushless (if clothes get rinsed properly) are equal.

BTW, in general, hand car wash can also be tricky and damage your car paint. If you do not rinse your sponge properly, for instance, you will scratch it too.

·
Registered
230 Posts
BTW, in general, hand car wash can also be tricky and damage your car paint. If you do not rinse your sponge properly, for instance, you will scratch it too.
Aaahhaaa this is why I bought white, I learned about swirl marks and scratches from my first/last black car.....

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Yep, but at least you have the ability to prevent that if you hand wash. Car wash, specifically cloth, you cannot...either you go in or you don't. If you do, you're hoping nothing comes of it other than dirt being washed from your vehicle.

It's always possible, but I mitigate that risk by using a good quality microfiber mitt from Chemical Guys and use two buckets...one for rinse, one for soap. Clean/rinse mitt often, and lots of soap to create a barrier between the mitt and the surface.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
I use the brushless car wash several times a year with my cars and hand wash the rest of the time. Your vehicle will be fine. Just bring some microfiber towels with you to do a final quick wipe and dry after the wash.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I'll tell you my tale of woe.

I once took one of my cars to a local car-wash. Drove home, and went out the next day to go to a restaurant. When I exited the car, I got my first look at the right side, and the car was extensively scratched. Upon close examination the bumper had damage, the rocker panels, and multiple places on the car.

I never could get the car-wash to admit any responsibility. There must have been some vehicle that had mud and stones all over it go through prior to me. In total, big $$$$.

No more auto car washes for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts