Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so first off i have searched and even spent $100 on the shop manual so cover every single base that has to do with this.

At speeds around 55-65 mph, the whole car will start to vibrate.
It is not coming through the pedals but from the body itself.
I took it to my mechanic and they looked over the front end for over 2 hours.

Struts are appearing to be good other wise they said that if they were bad they would be rubbing and you could feel it and/or hear when driving.
Tie rods are fine.
Control arms are fine.
Wheels and tires are as of 2/18/18 brand new.
Brakes and Rotors are fine.

The CV boot on the driver side is leaking but they say that there is 0% chance that it could cause the vibration.
The passenger side CV boot appeared to be just fine with no leakage.

I've pulled and pushed and rotated and moved the wheels in every possible direction as suggested in previous threads.
They bearing wouldn't be bad unless you could physically push the wheel inwards ive been told and i cannot. Basically the wheel does not move at all when mounted aside from the slight turning when handling from 12 to 1 o'clock.

Shop wants me to of course purchase $1500 worth of 2 struts and 2 engine mounts to "test" and see if it corrects it. Im sorry, but i dont have $1500 in "what if" money.

any and all help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
13,407 Posts
Have the tyres been carefully inspected? Your vibration could be due to a warped tyre. I'd also suggest having the wheels balanced too. Start with cheap guesses and work your way up to the more expensive stuff.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright im back with some news so far.
2 engine mounts (1 for sure) need to be replaced
and the driver side CV axle has a cut in the boot causing what looks like almost all the grease to come out.

as soon as i do the work ill let yall know what i find out. thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
so, i changed the CV axle and both engine mounts and that still didnt solve the vibration issue. i had a 2nd mechanic look at it and he said he couldnt find anything wrong either. so back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update

So, i replaced all 4 struts 2 days ago now. (5/5)
I went to go have it aligned and the mechanic wouldnt touch it due to the fact that he said the wheel was out of round.
I took it back to the shop i bought them from and they popped them off and balanced them and ran them on the computer to check them. They came back perfect.

I noticed something when they were on the car. When you put it in drive in the air, the right front wheel looks like it is spinning in a wobbly circle. We put a brand new wheel and tire on it that they had and it did the exact same thing. Ran both of those thru the computer and watched them and they were perfect.

What the mechanic did say was he thought that right front axle was bad (i previously replaced the front left) and that it could be causing the vibration issue.

Heres the thing, should i replace the axle or look into the hub assembly or just where should i start?
Any and all help would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
*FIXED*
Just replaced the control arm (both bushings and the ball joint), stabilizer bar link, wheel bearing and the passenger CV axle. When i took off the CV axle i checked both boots in the inside. 1 was milky looking and seemed to move fine. The other boot was red inside and looked burned and was stiff. Im sure it was the culprit but the bearing was also loose when taken apart. The vibration has greatly subsided and no i shall go get it aligned. Thanks to those who helped.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, i spoke too soon. After i replaced everything it went away. But yesterday when i was replacing my A/C compressor and expansion valve, i took my passenger front wheel off so i could take the compressor out. While i was down there i found out that my sway bar link was loose so i tightened it up again. Once finished i took it for a drive and tested the A/C, which was fixed. While driving it down the highway the vibration came back. The exact same one from before. So back to the drawing board i guess.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update:
(6/22) my passenger side sway bar link came loose while driving and broke.
(6/24) i got ahold of 2 of my original wheels and put them on the front, and my vibration completely went away. I dont know if it was the culprit but its what worked for me. Im going to replace my back bearing/hub assemblies and try to find 2 more original wheels. What i found out was that, the center hole for where the axle nut comes thru the wheel, theres an iron flange thats part of the hub that the wheel fits just barely onto when you put it on. Im getting about a 2.5 inch reading off the originals. But on the aftermarket wheels im getting 2" 7/8 inch. My best guess is that those wheels werent meant to go on the car.

My question is does anybody know how to get ahold of or search for 16x6.5 5x114.3mm w/2.5 inch center hole diameter?

Again thanks for any and all help.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
update:
(6/22) my passenger side sway bar link came loose while driving and broke.
(6/24) i got ahold of 2 of my original wheels and put them on the front, and my vibration completely went away. I dont know if it was the culprit but its what worked for me. Im going to replace my back bearing/hub assemblies and try to find 2 more original wheels. What i found out was that, the center hole for where the axle nut comes thru the wheel, theres an iron flange thats part of the hub that the wheel fits just barely onto when you put it on. Im getting about a 2.5 inch reading off the originals. But on the aftermarket wheels im getting 2" 7/8 inch. My best guess is that those wheels werent meant to go on the car.

My question is does anybody know how to get ahold of or search for 16x6.5 5x114.3mm w/2.5 inch center hole diameter?

Again thanks for any and all help.

The old aftermarket wheels have bigger center bore than the OE wheels trick... what you need is something called "hub centric" ring to go from hub size to bore on wheel size

Picture is for reference only to illustrate part need

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thankyou very much, ive tried finding some for my aftermarkets because ive been told that they are brand specific but, ill see what i can find.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts