Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but I am curious to know if anyone as successfully modded their Elantra GT driver side window from just Auto down to auto up as well.

Anyone...anyone...Bueller?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Auto window...

If it has auto-down, it has auto-up.

·
Registered
893 Posts
If it has auto-down, it has auto-up.
Incorrect. Many vehicles sold today have auto-down but not auto-up. On the GT, auto-down is standard on all models but auto-up is only included in the extra cost packages (style and touch-and-go in US markets). My base GT has auto-down but does not have auto-up.

I have heard that the reason auto-up is not universal is that this feature requires extra-cost safety systems to detect an obstruction and stop/reverse if one is sensed - otherwise, you could potentially choke a child, cut off fingers, etc. But I don't know if these obstruction sensing systems may already be in place on our GTs. Perhaps the only reason the feature is withheld on the base models is to encourage sales of the high-profit upsell packages. If so, there might be a way to upgrade simply by replacing the switch or something else relatively simple - I think this is what the OP is asking about.

- Mark

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
My mistake...

Incorrect. Many vehicles sold today have auto-down but not auto-up. On the GT, auto-down is standard on all models but auto-up is only included in the extra cost packages (style and touch-and-go in US markets). My base GT has auto-down but does not have auto-up.

I have heard that the reason auto-up is not universal is that this feature requires extra-cost safety systems to detect an obstruction and stop/reverse if one is sensed - otherwise, you could potentially choke a child, cut off fingers, etc. But I don't know if these obstruction sensing systems may already be in place on our GTs. Perhaps the only reason the feature is withheld on the base models is to encourage sales of the high-profit upsell packages. If so, there might be a way to upgrade simply by replacing the switch or something else relatively simple - I think this is what the OP is asking about.

- Mark
My bad! Thanks for the correction. I know the Sonatas have driver side one touch-up, one touch-down standard I just made a bad assumption. :(

·
22,793 Posts
There is an aftermarket module you can buy that will incorporate ALL four windows to auto up/down. A bit pricey. Also does a bunch of other nice features. I don't have a name but you might try a search using "auto-up" and "module."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts