Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody....just bought a '94 LS auto which runs well apart from a big jolt between gears sometimes. I read that this may be due to a 'missing or defective air exhaust plug' - I have no idea what this means or where to check it. Can anyone help or suggest any other cause please?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Is the thumping more predominant into a particular gear, say from fist into second, or second into third?

Or even downshifting?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Dr. Hundi@Nov 12 2004, 03:35 PM
Is the thumping more predominant into a particular gear, say from fist into second, or second into third?

Or even downshifting?
[snapback]2641[/snapback]​

It's on the up-shift, mainly from second to third, sometimes third to fourth. On a separate note, there is a lot of whining /roaring/ road noise which the mechanics tell me is either the front tyres or wheel bearings. Is this a common problem please?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Originally posted by Eddo@Nov 12 2004, 02:43 AM
It's on the up-shift,  mainly from second to third, sometimes third to fourth.  On a separate note, there is a lot of whining /roaring/ road noise which the mechanics tell me is either the front tyres or wheel bearings.  Is this a common problem please?
[snapback]2649[/snapback]​

the tranny problem could be the Kick Down brake, which may need adjusting.

the roaring noise could be capped tires. Do you regularry rotate the wheels ??
Should be done every 24K km (rear ones over cross to front, and front straight to the back) If you rotate the wheels, and the "WHEEL BEARING" noise moves as well, then leave it alone, the tire will "decap" itself again in time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah, definatly try rotating the tires.

it's funny... the one I got has been sitting for years and years. I think it has around 64k Miles on it... It runs like a champ, except for the rear main seal is bad, as soon as you get oil pressure it just gushes out oil. Other than that the auto trans is solid and it'll fire up everytime, and run beautifully, it's even pretty zippy. But no worries it'll have a new motor/setup in a few.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by Eddo@Nov 11 2004, 08:28 AM
Hi everybody....just bought a '94 LS auto which runs well apart from a big jolt between gears sometimes.  I read that this may be due to a 'missing or defective air exhaust plug' - I have no idea what this means or where to check it.  Can anyone help or suggest any other cause please?
[snapback]2600[/snapback]​

I have a 91 excel and I experience a hard jolt accelerating in first gear going to second and also decelerating in low gear. It is an automatic. Have you found out what this problem may be?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Originally posted by duke@Nov 29 2004, 04:48 PM
a tranny fluid change might change a lot. BUT, use Hyundai ATF only
[snapback]3148[/snapback]​

What about ''dexron3'' or is the hyundai more like ford fluid? I am not sure if one can get ''Hyundai'' atf in many locations other than dealer of course.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Originally posted by skyclone@Dec 10 2004, 06:47 AM
What about ''dexron3'' or is the hyundai more like ford fluid? I am  not sure if one can get ''Hyundai'' atf in many locations other than dealer of course.
[snapback]3516[/snapback]​

on the 1994 model, you could get away using DEXRON 3E, otherwise Hyundai ATF only (available at your dealer only).

·
Registered
422 Posts
Still want to know whether it shifts badly when shifted manually.

This will eliminate a fair few things if you can provide that information!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts