Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and new to Hyundias and I'm here because I have a problem!
I'm based in the UK.

I've just picked up a 2003 Sonata 2.6 V6 Auto, 55,000 miles with Dealer service record to 40,000 so overdue on the 50,000 service.

Initially it all seems OK and the car drives well but after a mile or two things stop working properly. Basically the transmission initially works changing up the gears but then it seems to get stuck in first gear although the dashboard says its in third. Stop and the dash still reads third gear. Pull away and its in first and doesn't change up.

Stop switch off and leave it for 10 mins and it works again for short distance, then its back to stuck in first whilst dash displays third gear.

The dashboard temp gauge reads normal but it seems/smells hot under bonnet. Haven't driven any distance obviously.

There is a dashboard indicator which is sometimes on and sometimes disappears after its stood a while. Owners Manual describes the indicator as "Malfunction Indicator Light".

Does anyone have any thoughts on what the problem could be and possible solutions?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (RoosterUK @ May 19 2010, 06:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=324399
There is a dashboard indicator which is sometimes on and sometimes disappears after its stood a while. Owners Manual describes the indicator as "Malfunction Indicator Light".

Does anyone have any thoughts on what the problem could be and possible solutions?
Well yes I sure do............ The MIL is illuminated, so why not go have the codes retrieved from the control module, and proceed from there...

I suspect you "may" find a 1529 in the PCM, telling you the TCM has put in request for PCM to illuminate the MIL... then proceed to scan the TCM, I will venture you will find either a 0715, or 0720 or 22......

Go get scan, and report back with the actual DTC code numbers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may have slight problem with getting the codes read! I live a long way from any dealers and I couldn't drive the car any distance as it is, stuck in first gear most of the time.

One option might be to get hold of an aftermarket ODB scanner. The problem here is I'm not sure what I need.

I can get hold of a scanner that reads Hyundai engine codes and can reset the light etc, however the person selling them thought the Hyundai might have a separate module for the AT which would need a different reader which isn't available aftermarket. He wasn't sure if the engine reader would be any good for this problem.

Does anyone know what the situation is? Is there a separate module that needs reading for the AT or does the main ODB engine system (Is this whats being referred to as PCM?) deal with all I need?

Does "scan the TCM" refer to scanning the separate AT module? If so are there aftermarket readers for these?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
A plain old code reader will give you the trans codes. It just won't have all the advanced diagnostic and tool functions. But it will give you what you need to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok Thanks for the input, I've ordered a reader which should be with me in a couple of days.

I guess I'll be back for some help with the error codes once its arrived. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've read the codes now. I also noticed that the battery got low standing for a couple of days so changed the battery for another after reading the codes.

The codes I initially got were ...

P1529 $11

P0765 $18
P0760 $18
P0755 $18
P0750 $18

After changing the battery clearing the codes I tried it again.

After a few seconds in third gear it threw up a couple of errors. They were two of the originals P07xx but stupidly forgot to write down which two!

According to my reader the Trans codes refer to Shift Solenoid A, B, C, D

I also narrowed down the behaviour a bit better.

Starting off in 'D' the car runs fine in first and changes to second, fine in second then changes to third, at this point it seems to struggle to engage gear then seems to go into neutral revving freely, then while slowing down the car eventually engages first gear but the dashboard display stays showing third. It then just stays in first. Stopping and switching the ignition off and back on again and its back to working until third gear.

Starting off using the 'sport' selection (+ & -) the car runs fine so long as I only use first and second but up to third and it won't engage and goes to neutral as before.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could try to remedy this?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts