Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I thought you all might have some ideas about my problem. Here goes:

My 2012, i20 seems to be having some intermittent trouble shifting into the proper gear at a couple of speed ranges.

Occasionally I'll start it up and pull out of a parking space (or leave a stoplight) and it feels like it's stuck in 1st well after it should have switched to a higher gear (I sometimes feel the upshift at about 10* mph). If I continue accelerating and hit about 40-50 mph, once again it appears to stay in the current gear instead of shifting.

When this issue is happening, the car feels even more underpowered than usual and takes way more throttle than it should to accelerate. This results in a cruising RPM of 3.3-3.5k at 60 mph. At that speed the engine would normally be doing about 2.2k RPM. Similar power and RPM conditions exist in the lower-speed range, too.

This whole thing is usually preceded by a rough shift into gear (D or R) when I first start the car. It's always had a slight lurch in the appropriate direction as I take it out of park, but this is really noticeable.

Sometimes, If I stop the car and come back in an hour, it (usually) appears to have reset itself. I can drive around and the transmission control is as good as always. At other times it may not re-set itself until the next day after driving for about 15 mins. Whilst this happens the overdrive button cannot be activated,
the moment the overdrive button is activated with on dashboard indicator, it would mean the transmission has re-set itself and all I have to is restart in Neutral or
park to get it going perfectly well until the next episode.

This has been going on for about a month, with an episode maybe every week or two. I took it to a shop and they didn't find any problems (I told them about the weird shifting and lack of power).

Does it sound like this is what's happening (it's not getting into the right gear)? Thoughts on what I should do?
It has been re-set with the diagnostic machine etc

Please help. Thanks

·
Registered
599 Posts
You reckon you could tell me what model/series and country this vehicle is in? And also if it's 4 speed auto or other please?

I'm just wondering if this box has the same Valve Body that wears out in other models.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Gerard, Thank you for taking time to respond,The year model is 2012, 1.4 Auto Fluid, 4 speed auto- Hyundai i20. The Valve Body was replaced last year around the same time. This problem has been going on for two months now. Sometimes it can behave for 10 days or so. Thank you !!!!!

·
Registered
599 Posts
I can only take some guesses. If the VB is new last year and it's intermittent it could be electrical issues. Harsh engagement higher rpm on the hwy and lacking power could mean it's triggered a fault code and put the box into a failsafe. Sometimes you may have 3rd gesr only or 2nd and 3rd but loss of electronic control. Could even be defective solenoid harness bad solder joints.

I'd try and scan for codes when it's playing up . Some codes can clear on an key cycle.

That may be why it resets or heat can induce faults especially cracked solders.

If we can get some codes it may reveal more clues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts