Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bit of hesitation and a "clunk" when shifting from reverse into drive. Nothing too bad and it can be avoided by doing things gently. The tranny also doesn't downshift when I would expect it to going up hills. I can get it shift with a little goose.

Mechanic suggested replacing the atf filter. $240 USD for the part. I'm in Costa Rica and everything is overpriced and overtaxed.

Regardless. Good idea for the issue? Does anyone have a part number or supplier I can contact for the part? I am having other parts shipped from the UK to someone in the US who is coming to Costa Rica soon, so anywhere in the world is fine.

Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Not familiar with your model however, to replace the filter in an auto transmssion you have to drop the pan which means a partial fluid chainge (a drain and fill fluid change) as well. You getting a filter is fine if you are prepared to drop the pan and deal with the fluid replacement as well. Messy. Personally that seems high $$. Get a second opinion. Changing the fluid (don't believe the filter will make any difference) may help with the shifting if the fluid has never been changed and high mileage. Get a second opinion though

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi tdxbunger,
The 'clunk' sound could be the back lash in the rear diff out of adjustment. This happens through wear and tear. The transmission is in a sort of loaded state when in reverse and then you select drive so the load is transferred in a reverse direction to the tail shaft and it turns slightly. Remember that the drive train in our vehicles is not as refined as some and considered more truck like. Also the hesitation is possibly normal as most electronic boxes have a slight time delay as it 'thinks' about the command you just gave it. I have found that if the oil is poor in an auto box you get more 'slippage' than clunking. But hope whatever you did has fixed the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts