Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2017 Elantra Value Edition 2.0 with 40K and I want to change auto trans fluid. The fill plug plastic bolt on top on the trans fluid case looks practically impossible to remove without filing down or chiseling out a corner of the plastic bolt since there is a metal piece sitting right above the bolt!
Any Hyundai techs or guys here that have done a transmission fluid change on a 2017 or 2018 Elantra who can tell me EXACTLY how the remove the fill plug??
Also, in case I break the plug when removing,what is the part number for it and is this a part that can be ordered beforehand so I have it on hand in case I have to break the plug to remove?

Thanks
Micheal in NJ

·
Registered
250 Posts
This subject has come up here before. I believe the best answer is to fill the transmission by way of the level check port until it flow back out freely.

·
Registered
501 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Put your parking brake on block your wheels then shift your AT out of Park, find a gear that gives you clearance.

Really don't care about maintenance, other vehicles, had to attach a hose to funnel, drill a hole in the top of the edge so I could attach a wire to it can hang it on something.

No room to tip the fluid bottle to hit the hole, makes a mess. Then pouring 15 quarts of fluid down that tiny dipstick tube was an all days job.

Ha, when its time to change fluids, time to trade it in for a new one, was told that many times by dealers. When you take your car in to get that done, won't let you watch. Just hand you the bill.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If You look at the centre of the plastic plug there's a square shape hole that Fits a 3/8 inch in size extension bar like this one pic below. put it in and turn it counter clockwise to loosen it. afterword you will need to pull it up by hand once loose.
I understand all that! The problem is there is a metal piece that sit RIGHT above it and it can ONLY unscrew so far and the plug will hit that metal thing and WILL not come off!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Put your parking brake on block your wheels then shift your AT out of Park, find a gear that gives you clearance.

Really don't care about maintenance, other vehicles, had to attach a hose to funnel, drill a hole in the top of the edge so I could attach a wire to it can hang it on something.

No room to tip the fluid bottle to hit the hole, makes a mess. Then pouring 15 quarts of fluid down that tiny dipstick tube was an all days job.

Ha, when its time to change fluids, time to trade it in for a new one, was told that many times by dealers. When you take your car in to get that done, won't let you watch. Just hand you the bill.
What?? Why would a dealer tell you when the trans fluid is required to be changed at 60K (its right in the maintenance schedule) that will need to trade in the car???

·
Registered
250 Posts
I don't know your exact car but there may be no need to remove the fill plug. Remove the drain plug, after draining re-install the drain plug. Remove the level check plug on the front of the transmission. Use a funnel and plastic hose, inserting the hose into the level check port. With the engine running [ if required ] add fluid until it starts to come out. Remove hose and replace plug.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I understand all that! The problem is there is a metal piece that sit RIGHT above it and it can ONLY unscrew so far and the plug will hit that metal thing and WILL not come off!

Look at it again, the shift linkage is blocking that top plug, can get it out of the way by shifting out of park.

Only mentioned a hose connected to a funnel is the only way on some vehicles, but not on the Elantra, also awkward to use.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Look at it again, the shift linkage is blocking that top plug, can get it out of the way by shifting out of park.

Only mentioned a hose connected to a funnel is the only way on some vehicles, but not on the Elantra, also awkward to use.
Oh ok, got it thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I just tried you advice. The linkage DOES move when you put the car out of park. However, the linkage that moves is NOT the part that is over the top plug! That part stays stationary through all the gears! So have you actually changed your ATF yourself and if so, how did you get the plug out?? I would assume a Hyundai dealer or a competent independent shop would have a special tool?

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Elantra SE
252 Posts
Search the forum. There is a thread here with a video. You have to file off part of the plug to remove it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Search the forum. There is a thread here with a video. You have to file off part of the plug to remove it.
Yes, I saw that video, BUT, you really shouldnt have to file down a bolt! There has got to be a special tool Hyundai dealers use!

·
Registered
399 Posts
No special tool... The Neutral Safety switch that is blocking the bolt is not the same NSS that our transmission was originally designed with and their was no issue with the original NSS.. about 5 years ago from what I can find.. Hyundai superseded a new redesign version of the NSS across their entire transmission line.. and unfortunately it looks like Hyundai never did a fitment test with our version of transmission and now we are stuck with this bullshit issue due to Hyundai's lack engineering review. Or they knew of the issue when they updated the part and thought "oh well.. it must suck to be the end customer"..

Yes, I saw that video, BUT, you really shouldnt have to file down a bolt! There has got to be a special tool Hyundai dealers use!

·
Registered
3,493 Posts

Have no idea what your Elantra looks like, this is from the shop manual and my Elantra looks exactly like this one shown in this photo. Shift linkage is indubitably in the way and has to be moved out of park to get at that A plug. Also recommends you replace the gasket. Can't recall the socket that fits it, use a thin wall deep socket.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Please take a photo just like Michaels did of your transmission fill bolt and please post it... I am very very curious to see your NSS and the refill bolt combo..

I am 99.9% sure your NSS is not as per the outdated shop manual.. please prove me wrong.

thank you

View attachment 447813

Have no idea what your Elantra looks like, this is from the shop manual and my Elantra looks exactly like this one shown in this photo. Shift linkage is indubitably in the way and has to be moved out of park to get at that A plug. Also recommends you replace the gasket. Can't recall the socket that fits it, use a thin wall deep socket.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Please take a photo just like Michaels did of your transmission fill bolt and please post it... I am very very curious to see your NSS and the refill bolt combo..

I am 99.9% sure your NSS is not as per the outdated shop manual.. please prove me wrong.

thank youYes, that shop manual clearly show the shift linkage much farther back from the fill bolt! My 2017 Elantra that part of the linkage is RIGHT over the fill bolt and shifting the car out of PARK does NOT move it!

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
How about being 99.9% dead wrong, here is another post on this subject from another person that knows what he is talking about.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I dont seem to be getting an answers here about changing my ATF....oh well. I have the SP4 (M) fluid and I guess I will bring it to a very reputable independent shop in my town an have them do the change. They are highly experienced shop and work on lots of Hyundai's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How about being 99.9% dead wrong, here is another post on this subject from another person that knows what he is talking about.

You posted instructions for the 2012 model year! The 2017 is a completely different engine!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts