Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I lost the ability to downshift my '06 Sonata GL using manual mode. When I tried, all that would happen was that the instument panel would flash the number of the gear I was trying to shift out of, and no downshifting would take place. Now when I move the shifter over to manual mode, the instrument panel doesn't even show what gear I'm in anymore and to make matters worse I can't downshift OR upshift with it anymore. I never realized how much I used manual mode until I found myself without it. I suspect the culprit is a sensor someplace, but before I drop some cash at the Hyundai garage I thought I'd see if anybody on the forum has any ideas. For what it's worth, the car is a 2.4L with 156,000+ miles on it and I've always had it serviced at regular intervals.

·
Registered
816 Posts
QUOTE (CaptAthlon @ Apr 23 2010, 02:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316045
A few months ago I lost the ability to downshift my '06 Sonata GL using manual mode. When I tried, all that would happen was that the instument panel would flash the number of the gear I was trying to shift out of, and no downshifting would take place. Now when I move the shifter over to manual mode, the instrument panel doesn't even show what gear I'm in anymore and to make matters worse I can't downshift OR upshift with it anymore. I never realized how much I used manual mode until I found myself without it. I suspect the culprit is a sensor someplace, but before I drop some cash at the Hyundai garage I thought I'd see if anybody on the forum has any ideas. For what it's worth, the car is a 2.4L with 156,000+ miles on it and I've always had it serviced at regular intervals.
When did you last change the tranny fluid?

·
Registered
125 Posts
QUOTE (CaptAthlon @ Apr 23 2010, 07:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316045
Have the same problem with my 06 3.3 Sonata. My garage said that they have investigated it on Hyundai's internal help system, and it said that there is a wire stucked causing the problem (it's a common problem)
- I have not got it fixed yet, but expect to get it done maybe in the next week together with a problem with a loose black plasticshield behind the hinges on my front doors (giving a annoying banging sound when opening the doors)
Have noticed on my 09 sonata that this shield is missing - expect it to be failure from the assembly - or maybe they have removed it on this facelifted because they know it would cause problems after some years.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Check out my old thread: Sounds like the same problem.
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t44258-shiftronic-problem.htm

It's been about 4 months since then and my shiftronic still works. No parts were replaced. I actually spoke with the mechanic who diagnosed it, and he assumed that it could've been just him disconnecting and reconnecting the module. He said that was the only thing he did with the car, and I believe him.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Almost 157,000 now. I drive 120 miles round trip for work each day, and the Sonata is also the family's main run-around vehicle. It's also been on a couple cross country trips. It's been a great car, as was my 2001 Elantra, which is now being driven by my son in college. That one has 170,000+ miles on it and still runs like a top. I've had such good luck with my Hyundais that when my other son turned 16 recenty, I got him an '04 Elantra. His is the low mileage vehicle of the group with only 53,000 miles on it.

Back to the problem: I looked at the TSB, and it looks like the switch is built into the gear shift lever on the '06 Sonata, as opposed to being a separate part like in earlier models. As soon as I get a chance I'll try take everything apart and look at it. Hopefully the old "unplug/plug back in" trick will work, but if not I will probably suck it up and take it to the dealer to officially run the Hi Scan test. If it's not a real pain to access, I might just buy the part and replace the gear shift lever myself.

Sound reasonable?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts