Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I purchased a new 2019 Santa Fe Ultimate in late January that has under 13,000. In the last 3 weeks (twice this week) I have been stopped at a light and suddenly I can't go. My vehicle has no power and this error appears on the dash
"Auto Stop is Off. Shift to P or N to Start Engine" Of course shifting the car into park and trying to restart the engine does not work. Eventually it will start but I have to sit there for at least 5 minutes with my hazards on blocking a lane of traffic and feeling usafe.

It has happened twice during morning rush hour traffic (This Tuesday morning and again while coming back to the office at lunch. Once I got the vehicle going again I took it straight to the dealer. Now that they have had it for 44 horus I asked for an update.My "advisor" called to say that they have been unable to replicate the issue so they will try again for a little bit otherwise they will release the car back to me at 5 PM. I told him this was unacceptable and asked to speak to someone else. He advised that the manager would call me back at HIS convenience. WHen I said "Oh, HIS CONVENIENCE!" I was hung up on.

Any ideas of what the issue could be or what my rights are here? (State of Georgia) I do not feel safe taking back a car that leaves me stranded in a lane of traffic. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Sorry to hear about your situation. It seems ignition related.

In your shoes I’d definitely not pick up the car with the problem unresolved. You’ll need to talk to the top service mgr, or the dealership general manager, or owner. Assuming you bought the car there they should be helpful.

If possible, go there in person WELL before the end of the business day. It’s Friday and you will be out of luck otherwise. Don’t mention involving a lawyer just yet, or they will drop you like a hot potato. If they are not helpful enough today, plan for a lift home and leave the car with them AND demand that they escalate the situation to Hyundai...while you are there. Camp out in the manager office. SHOUTING IS NOT HELPFUL, but a show of emotion is critical.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your advice. I did purchase the vehicle there. I will not be able to get there before 5 today because I am not in a position to leave work. I actually work in the insurance industry so I understand what threatening a lawyer could mean (in my case my general response is Great! Be sure they send over a letter of representation as I will no longer be able to directly talk to you once you engage in legal counsel)

They do have me in a loner car currently through Enterprise but it is a vehicle in which the MSRP is about $15K under the MSRP of the vehicle I purchased but hey - it doesn't leave me stranded in a lane of traffic so that is a plus!

I'm not really a yeller but I do get anxious and frustrated - may grab a shot of tequila before heading over there and then uber over there :p

Sorry to hear about your situation.

In your shoes I’d definitely not pick up the car with the problem unresolved. You’ll need to talk to the top service mgr, or the dealership general manager, or owner. Assuming you bought the car there they should be helpful.

If possible, go there in person WELL before the end of the business day. It’s Friday and you will be out of luck otherwise. Don’t mention involving a lawyer just yet, or they will drop you like a hot potato. If they are not helpful enough today, get a lift home and leave the car with them AND demand that they escalate the situation to Hyundai...while you are there. Camp out in the manager office. SHOUTING IS NOT HELPFUL, but a show of emotion is critical.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I think I'd be looking for a different dealership if that's possible, both from the lack of ability and the rudeness factor. Hope you get it solved soon.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I know when shift to neutral, stop the engine, that message shows up too (I do that if I stopped at that really long traffic near office when the engine is cold).
So somehow the engine stopped while in "D". I suspect maybe connection problem on the start pushbutton.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Thank you for your advice. I did purchase the vehicle there. I will not be able to get there before 5 today because I am not in a position to leave work. I actually work in the insurance industry so I understand what threatening a lawyer could mean (in my case my general response is Great! Be sure they send over a letter of representation as I will no longer be able to directly talk to you once you engage in legal counsel)

They do have me in a loner car currently through Enterprise but it is a vehicle in which the MSRP is about $15K under the MSRP of the vehicle I purchased but hey - it doesn't leave me stranded in a lane of traffic so that is a plus!

I'm not really a yeller but I do get anxious and frustrated - may grab a shot of tequila before heading over there and then uber over there :p
Hold the tequila.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. I was able to negotiate with my boss to leave early and get to the dealership by 4. My adviser was at the desk when I walked in and I asked for the service manager by name. Service manager was in a meeting so I waited in the waiting in the area.

After a few moments I decided to walk up to the front desk and ask for the GM by name. He was out on the lot with someone. I didn't provide any details and sat back down. It wasn't long before someone else asked if I was the one asking to speak with the GM and was he expecting me (No). She left and he appeared within moments and invited me to his office.

It went VERY well. Actually, I barely had to explain much. I explained how my vehicle was not restarting leaving me stranded in a lane of traffic 3 times now. That the adviser told me that they can't replicate it so he was going to release it to me. I didn't even have to bring up my safety concerns because - well it's obvious to most people.

I mentioned being told that he would call me at his convenience and did repeat my reaction in the same incredulous tone as I had on the phone (to provide context) which led to me being hung up on. He apologized for the use of the phrase saying he never uses it himself and it should not have been put that way

Within moments he was paging the service manager to call him. I let him know the service manager was in a meeting and he said "yeah but he'll be here". Within a few moments he was there and after that the tech that has been working on my vehicle was in the room too. The tech indicated that he was by no means ready to release the vehicle. They ruled out it being related to the auto hold feature and likely something with the Idle Stop & Go.

I told them that did already have a loaner from them (through Enterprise) but that it was a Nissan Rogue Sport so if they were going to have my vehicle for more than a few more days, I would like something more comparable. It was kind of funny because as soon as I mentioned it the GM said "We have you in a Nissan!" so they will be getting me into another Santa Fe loaner possibly even by this weekend.

The technical issue is still a mystery and who knows what will happen but I felt so much better after speaking with the GM. He immediately recognized the wrongness of how it has been handled and at least things seem to be back on the right track.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Wondering if it is ISG related, since it happens at a stop. Maybe the ISG can't start properly and the car doesn't know what to do. It may have been worth driving with ISG off, but at this point it is a hazard so let the technicians solve it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Glad to hear they are working with you. It may not be a bad idea to go ahead and start a Hyundai case with Hyundai Customer Service / Consumer Affairs. I don't have their number but somebody will. Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Funny I was just reviewing this forum... first time here as we are looking at Santa Fe. We have had this same issue with our Honda Pilot. Shuts off at light or in rush hour traffic on interstate... get same message to shift to P or N to start. Assuming the government requirement for CAFE standards drove this auto shut off to save fuel.

They have replaced numerous batteries, starters, wire harnesses. Said the can not replicate etc... If Hyundai is like Honda there will be quite a few complaints about this issue on the NHTSA.gov website!

Unfortunately there is no way I know of to permanently disable that **** auto-stop/start!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello. I purchased a new 2019 Santa Fe Ultimate in late January that has under 13,000. In the last 3 weeks (twice this week) I have been stopped at a light and suddenly I can't go. My vehicle has no power and this error appears on the dash
"Auto Stop is Off. Shift to P or N to Start Engine" Of course shifting the car into park and trying to restart the engine does not work. Eventually it will start but I have to sit there for at least 5 minutes with my hazards on blocking a lane of traffic and feeling usafe.

It has happened twice during morning rush hour traffic (This Tuesday morning and again while coming back to the office at lunch. Once I got the vehicle going again I took it straight to the dealer. Now that they have had it for 44 horus I asked for an update.My "advisor" called to say that they have been unable to replicate the issue so they will try again for a little bit otherwise they will release the car back to me at 5 PM. I told him this was unacceptable and asked to speak to someone else. He advised that the manager would call me back at HIS convenience. WHen I said "Oh, HIS CONVENIENCE!" I was hung up on.

Any ideas of what the issue could be or what my rights are here? (State of Georgia) I do not feel safe taking back a car that leaves me stranded in a lane of traffic. Thank you.
Just looking at the Message you received.... I see that message on page 5-47 of the user manual. However, I'm struggling to fully understand the context of that in the manual. Is that message in reference to the hood being opened (or think it is open) when you are stopped and ISG has activated? It is not overly clear to me what this message relates to.... but I do know there is a hood latch switch which is part of the "requirements in order for ISG to function." Just wondering if this switch is maybe not working correctly, or the wire is not fully seated on the switch? Maybe I've totally misunderstood the user manual.... hopefully someone else on this forum can explain the context of this message as shown in the user manual and be able to articulate when this message should appear....

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Funny I was just reviewing this forum... first time here as we are looking at Santa Fe. We have had this same issue with our Honda Pilot. Shuts off at light or in rush hour traffic on interstate... get same message to shift to P or N to start. Assuming the government requirement for CAFE standards drove this auto shut off to save fuel.

They have replaced numerous batteries, starters, wire harnesses. Said the can not replicate etc... If Hyundai is like Honda there will be quite a few complaints about this issue on the NHTSA.gov website!

Unfortunately there is no way I know of to permanently disable that **** auto-stop/start!
The first post on this thread is the only such complaint that I’ve heard in this forum regarding ‘19 or ‘20 Santa Fe’s.

There are several long threads in this forum detailing EXACTLY how to disable ISG (stop/start).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I sent you a PM with a few questions about your issue with the Pilot.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Glad they seem to be working out a repair. Unfortunately, there’s a ton of “loss of communication” between you (the customer) and what gets put on the tickets for the techs. The tech doesn’t understand how worried you were while stuck in traffic, more than once. More times that not, they get tickets that say “customer states vehicles engine stopped at light”
99% of techs aren’t paid by the hour, so if there’s not much info on the ticket, not much diag/repair by the tech. There are times techs use ALL the resources, and will figure out the vehicle. It’s usually a shop foreman, or the equivalent. It’s a crappy situation, being a tech at times. But there are good ones out there. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. I was able to negotiate with my boss to leave early and get to the dealership by 4. My adviser was at the desk when I walked in and I asked for the service manager by name. Service manager was in a meeting so I waited in the waiting in the area.

After a few moments I decided to walk up to the front desk and ask for the GM by name. He was out on the lot with someone. I didn't provide any details and sat back down. It wasn't long before someone else asked if I was the one asking to speak with the GM and was he expecting me (No). She left and he appeared within moments and invited me to his office.

It went VERY well. Actually, I barely had to explain much. I explained how my vehicle was not restarting leaving me stranded in a lane of traffic 3 times now. That the adviser told me that they can't replicate it so he was going to release it to me. I didn't even have to bring up my safety concerns because - well it's obvious to most people.

I mentioned being told that he would call me at his convenience and did repeat my reaction in the same incredulous tone as I had on the phone (to provide context) which led to me being hung up on. He apologized for the use of the phrase saying he never uses it himself and it should not have been put that way

Within moments he was paging the service manager to call him. I let him know the service manager was in a meeting and he said "yeah but he'll be here". Within a few moments he was there and after that the tech that has been working on my vehicle was in the room too. The tech indicated that he was by no means ready to release the vehicle. They ruled out it being related to the auto hold feature and likely something with the Idle Stop & Go.

I told them that did already have a loaner from them (through Enterprise) but that it was a Nissan Rogue Sport so if they were going to have my vehicle for more than a few more days, I would like something more comparable. It was kind of funny because as soon as I mentioned it the GM said "We have you in a Nissan!" so they will be getting me into another Santa Fe loaner possibly even by this weekend.

The technical issue is still a mystery and who knows what will happen but I felt so much better after speaking with the GM. He immediately recognized the wrongness of how it has been handled and at least things seem to be back on the right track.
Did they ever figure out this issue? This has now happened to me twice, once when I was out in traffic and had to wave people around and couldn't get the car to start for about 5min. I purchased a 2019 this past Feb and it has under 7,000 miles. Haven't taken it to the dealership but I did take a video of what happened to show them. Any advice would be great

·
Registered
68 Posts
I sent you a PM with a few questions about your issue with the Pilot.
The first post on this thread is the only such complaint that I’ve heard in this forum regarding ‘19 or ‘20 Santa Fe’s.

There are several long threads in this forum detailing EXACTLY how to disable ISG (stop/start).
Thank-you. 2020 Santa Fe that's annoying me by turning itself off at every red light. Now I'm finally beginning to remember to press the "disable" button next to the shifter after starting the car each time. But I'm going to go find the posts you refer to for permanently disabling the auto-shut-off. (ISG?)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts