Hyundai Forums banner

Do you actually LIKE auto start stop?

• Love It, will never buy another car without it.

• It's good, I think it has benefits

• No Opinion, just another thing

• Rather not have it, annoying when at a stop and to disable it every time

• Hate it, wish I could rip it out of the car

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone figured out a way to permanently disable the Auto S.S? Looking to get a new car but they all come with the baggage. I have no interest in it. Need to find a way to permanently disable before I add it to my list of potentials.

Since people love asking and criticizing, its for safety, longevity, and irritation..
Some vehicles have an OBD2 device you can plug in to disable, or some ford vehicles you can put in a plug into the tow harness and that too would disable thinking the vehicle is towing something.

Possibly grounding the wire for a permanent press? I don't know how its wired.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2012 Sonata 2.0t Ltd & 2020 Palisade Ltd
764 Posts
Has anyone figured out a way to permanently disable the Auto S.S? Looking to get a new car but they all come with the baggage. I have no interest in it. Need to find a way to permanently disable before I add it to my list of potentials.

Since people love asking and criticizing, its for safety, longevity, and irritation..
Some vehicles have an OBD2 device you can plug in to disable, or some ford vehicles you can put in a plug into the tow harness and that too would disable thinking the vehicle is towing something.

Thank you in advance.
On the Sonata, only the SE trim level has auto start/stop. If you do end up with this trim level, I suggest you try it for a while before disabling it. Hyundai has a pretty smooth one that you don't really feel most of the time. I've experienced far worse ones.

As to longevity, this is not a concern. Cars with these systems are designed for it and do not use the same parts as cars without it. Starters and battery are different, among other things. Google it.

There's no safety concern either. The engine is back on before you have time to move your foot back on the gas. If the Sonata is anything like my Palisade, you can also control its behavior via the brake pedal: a soft press will prevent it from shutting down the engine.

It does serve a purpose, like it or not. Conservative estimates place savings on gas on the order of a few billion (yes, billions) gallons a year in the US alone if every car had it.

People jam things in the button to disable it. Again, I suggest you learn to live with it. It's not going away.

·
Registered
571 Posts
lol, I was trying to figure out how to USE auto start/stop when I first got m car, but then learned the limited does not have it..

·
Registered
97 Posts

Thank you in advance.
There are a couple of options....
1. Shark Racing Comes from Korea, takes a while to ship but they are legit....
ISG and Auto-Hold Memory Module - Various Applications - Shark Racing

2. Check the 2019+ Santa Fe forum, search for ISG. I've posted several lengthy posts on how to default this to OFF on the Santa Fe. Based on the Shark Racing module (listed above) and the fact their module works on many Hyundai models, I assume the information posted in the SF forum would work for you. If you don't want to build a plug and play wire harness as listed in my post, you could purchase the parts (resistor and TR-7 device, relay) for less than $30 and tap into existing wires.

Check them out and see if they will meet your needs. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts