Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if installing HID for low beams, will there be any issue with the auto light feature on the limited (not sure if this feature available on all models). I love this feature and will hate to loose it of have HIDs giving any issue with it. Afterall we paid for having this auto feature and it does help not worrying about light.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
No it will not cause a problem.

After doing extensive research I would recommend a HID relay harness if you don't already have one though.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
QUOTE (asick @ Dec 15 2010, 10:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=380316
can I ask how how does HID harness help?
thanks
During the igniting of the bulbs, the igniter's pulse a large amount of energy which in can cause problems with newer cars that are equipped with a smart Junction box instead of having a stand alone relay and fuse system. As this is rare its a possibility. Our car uses a "smart" fuse. Basically what it is is 1 big 60 amp use that is linked to power multiple components. Example, when i turn on my headlights while the car is running with the sound system on, I hear static over the speakers for the duration of the bulbs igniting (1/4 of a second). Thats because the amp for the audio system runs off the same fuse as the headlight system.

Older cars had isolated systems for the most part, where each component would have its own fuse and own relay.

What the harness does is draw the power directly from the battery using a relay , which in turn isolates the HID system from the factory circuit. Its an insurance policy just in case you have a malfunction in the hid system it cant cause any damage to the other components located on the shared circuit.

Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (Smoke1991 @ Dec 16 2010, 01:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=380340
During the igniting of the bulbs, the igniter's pulse a large amount of energy which in can cause problems with newer cars that are equipped with a smart Junction box instead of having a stand alone relay and fuse system. As this is rare its a possibility. Our car uses a "smart" fuse. Basically what it is is 1 big 60 amp use that is linked to power multiple components. Example, when i turn on my headlights while the car is running with the sound system on, I hear static over the speakers for the duration of the bulbs igniting (1/4 of a second). Thats because the amp for the audio system runs off the same fuse as the headlight system.

Older cars had isolated systems for the most part, where each component would have its own fuse and own relay.

What the harness does is draw the power directly from the battery using a relay , which in turn isolates the HID system from the factory circuit. Its an insurance policy just in case you have a malfunction in the hid system it cant cause any damage to the other components located on the shared circuit.

Great explanation!

Many people have installed HIDs without the harness and havent had problems, but I still believe that you should do this on a newer car. If youve ever seen cars that come with HIDs from the factory, the wiring is beefier than non-HID cars.

In my opinion, its just not something you want to mess around with, especially considering the harness is only like $12 more.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I agree completely. I installed HID's in my low beams and flog lights and even tho I didn't need to use a relay (especially on the fog lights) I installed a relay kit on both just to ensure the HID were directly isolated.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Smoke is right.. I would strongly reccomend a rely harness... I speak from experience on having the junction box replaced already once. Dont take the risk without it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Happened to me. Fried my junction box after installing HID`s. Another member had the same problem. However, I`ve had them installed since without the wiring harness
and haven`t had a problem. It`s been like five months now. I did however order the premium ballasts from xenonsupply and installed those.

·
Registered
738 Posts
QUOTE (Smoke1991 @ Dec 16 2010, 01:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=380340

OK not being knowledgeable here ,,,,,

I installed the Xenon Supply Premium kit, consisting of"
Two (2) Premium HID Bulbs
Two (2) Premium Digital Ballasts
Two (2) Wiring Connectors
CAN BUS Decoders (built-in)
Anti-Flicker Capacitors (built-in)

So when you speak of a harness did my above kit include that or is that something else I need to install with the kit.

BTW I have had no issues since installation for what that is worth....

·
Registered
142 Posts
QUOTE (Quigley21 @ Dec 16 2010, 08:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=380434
OK not being knowledgeable here ,,,,,

I installed the Xenon Supply Premium kit, consisting of"
Two (2) Premium HID Bulbs
Two (2) Premium Digital Ballasts
Two (2) Wiring Connectors
CAN BUS Decoders (built-in)
Anti-Flicker Capacitors (built-in)

So when you speak of a harness did my above kit include that or is that something else I need to install with the kit.

BTW I have had no issues since installation for what that is worth....
The kit doesn`t include the harness. You can order it from xenonsupply for 20.00 bucks. It`s not a necessity but alot of people seem to be recommending it.
I personally didn`t install it because I think it just looks ghetto with wires running from your battery. I think you`ll be fine without it since you have the premium
kit installed.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Here is an explanation of what the wiring harness does.

In stock form, your original headlights have wires going directly to the bulb which provide power when the lights are turned "on". This wiring is the stock wiring that goes to other parts of your car, including the fuse box.

When you install aftermarket HIDs without a wiring harness, you connect the ballasts directly to this wiring to get the power needed to power the ballasts. With an HID kit, the vehicle wiring powers the ballasts, and the ballasts power the HID bulbs. In some cases, this can cause a problem with your stock wiring, as the initial surge of the ballasts turning on might trip a fuse or melt something else.

When you use a wiring harness with a relay, you are "bypassing" the stock wiring for power and powering the ballasts directly from the car's battery. This way, you have no risk of overloading or damaging any other wiring or circuits in your car. The wiring harness connects directly to the original wires that were powering the original bulbs and instead of the power going to the ballasts, they go to the relay. The relay's job is to act as an automatic switch which enables power from the battery to power to the ballasts and turn on the HIDs only when you want to turn on your headlights. Without a relay, your HIDs would draw power directly from the battery all the time, even when the car is off, and would quickly drain the battery.

So, in summary, without a harness, your stock wiring powers the ballasts, and the ballasts power the HIDs. The entire circuit is powered and controlled by the vehicle's stock wiring.

With a harness, the stock wiring powers the relay, the relay sends power directly from the battery terminal to the ballast using all new wiring which is completely isolated from other wiring in your car, and then the ballasts power the HIDs. Your stock wiring no longer powers the ballasts. Its only purpose is to activate the relay when you turn your headlights on. Since relays use an extremely small amount of power, there is almost no load on your cars stock wiring in this case and very little chance of something bad happening.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm the noob of the day! How does the Auto Feature work? I know how to turn it on but, when do the lights come on?Sight of dark or??

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (brogers57 @ Dec 16 2010, 01:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=380477
I'm the noob of the day! How does the Auto Feature work? I know how to turn it on but, when do the lights come on?Sight of dark or??
If your in an area that is not very bright the parking light and head light will turn on. For example when I driving into a garage during the day and the lights are set to auto. Once I drive into the garage the lights turn on after I exit (back into day light) they turn off. Or when it gets dark

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
QUOTE (Joeeey @ Dec 16 2010, 12:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=380480
If your in an area that is not very bright the parking light and head light will turn on. For example when I driving into a garage during the day and the lights are set to auto. Once I drive into the garage the lights turn on after I exit (back into day light) they turn off. Or when it gets dark

darn....i thought i could just say ON when i wanted them on...and OFF for the obvious! hhmmm.... :whistling:

·
Registered
17 Posts
QUOTE (wozzy @ Dec 16 2010, 12:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=380444
The kit doesn`t include the harness. You can order it from xenonsupply for 20.00 bucks. It`s not a necessity but alot of people seem to be recommending it.
I personally didn`t install it because I think it just looks ghetto with wires running from your battery. I think you`ll be fine without it since you have the premium
kit installed.

I installed the identical kit from Xenon Supply about a month ago. I haven't noticed any shorts or any static in the radio. Is this something that might develop over time without using a relay or do problems generally present themselves quickly?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (NapsterHC @ Dec 16 2010, 03:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=380556
I installed the identical kit from Xenon Supply about a month ago. I haven't noticed any shorts or any static in the radio. Is this something that might develop over time without using a relay or do problems generally present themselves quickly?
Yes this can happen at anytime and without warning. I only takes a second to cause a short and and cause tons of damage. Too much to wager for a mere 15 -20 dollars to protect yourself against. If you haven't installed a relay kit it's not too late you can still add and protect yourself if any future damage arises.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts