Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Elentra XD 2001-2006 2.0L Auto CDX
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, im new here so please be gentle lol

I am the new owner of a used Elantra, its the XD type plated in 2001. 2.0L auto cdx petrol with 43k miles on the clock.

A few weeks ago the oil cooler/radiator popped and it spilt all of its transmission fluid on the floor. I had it recovered to my mechanic and they replaced the cooler/radiator and fluid etc. The car then drove fine for a few days and then started to have a problem. I can start the car, put it into drive and drive away then as it tries to change into 3rd gear there is a clunk and it throws itself into what I presume is limp mode?

When this happens the engine light shows, the car remains driveable to some extent but is sluggish and annoying. If i stop the car, switch it off and then restart the car the problem goes away and it will drive fine until it wants 3rd gear then bosh! back into limp mode after a clunk.

I took it back to my mechanic who checked the fault code but as he does not mess with auto gearboxes couldnt tell me anything other than it was an internal gearbox fault.

In my mind it seems to be electrical becuase switching the car off and on seems to clear the problem temporarily but i could be completely wrong.

So, I have two questions for you wonderful forum folk, Question 1 is, what on earth could be the problem and question 2 is, is it safe to drive in limp mode, i still have to get to places maybe 30 miles away from home, will driving it in this mode damage clutches or gearbox parts? Obviously it needs fixing but there are a few journey in the coming days that i simply HAVE to take.

Thanks in advance folks

Thor :)

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,923 Posts
P0755 - Under Drive (UD) solenoid valve
P0760 - 2nd solenoid valve
P0765 - Overdrive (OD) solenoid valve

Isn't it interesting that all the solenoids that are throwing codes have one thing in common...

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
P0755 - Under Drive (UD) solenoid valve
P0760 - 2nd solenoid valve
P0765 - Overdrive (OD) solenoid valve

Isn't it interesting that all the solenoids that are throwing codes have one thing in common...
View attachment 451243

How did you know which codes my car was showing?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL...I guess I have ESP.
Or maybe I just saw your photo on that other thread where you posted it.

Lol oh yes, I did that by accident. So, they all share a connection? Where would I find this connection to check it?

·
Registered
15,923 Posts
Terminal 9 of the gearbox harness connector...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Is this the connector you mean?
Do you think this is the issue or did the failing of the oil cooler cause internal damage?

·
Registered
290 Posts
So am I looking for an electrical fault within the gearbox or on the loom that goes back towards the dashboard?
You need to verify the tranny fluid was not contaminated with glycol. If it has glycol in it it'll need to be completely torn down or replaced. You can check electrical integrity at that time.

·
Registered
15,923 Posts
So am I looking for an electrical fault within the gearbox or on the loom that goes back towards the dashboard?
That's a good question. You'd need to have the fault diagnosed to figure that out. The fault could be anywhere along the pink trace on the diagram.

Was there any loss of coolant (glycol) when the transmission fluid cooler burst? @Carfixer007 is suggesting fluid contamination might be the cause of your issues.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had the problem with similar symptoms about 7 years ago on my daughter's 2003 Elantra GT. In my case it was single DTC only and faulty L/R solenoid. I replaced this solenoid and problem was gone forever, but during my troubleshooting process I found that Hyundai also had a problem with transmission internal wiring on some vehicles. If I remember correctly, harness between external connector and solenoid assembly on some vehicles wasn't fixed properly and may be broken over time. It was loose and touch some internal parts or something like this...
I saved all links and info on my computer back then but unfortunately it was lost because hard drive failure, so I don't have more detail information and can't tell if it is affected yours 2001 MY vehicle...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did check for recalls on my vehicle but there are none.
I had the problem with similar symptoms about 7 years ago on my daughter's 2003 Elantra GT. In my case it was single DTC only and faulty L/R solenoid. I replaced this solenoid and problem was gone forever, but during my troubleshooting process I found that Hyundai also had a problem with transmission internal wiring on some vehicles. If I remember correctly, harness between external connector and solenoid assembly on some vehicles wasn't fixed properly and may be broken over time. It was loose and touch some internal parts or something like this...
I saved all links and info on my computer back then but unfortunately it was lost because hard drive failure, so I don't have more detail information and can't tell if it is affected yours 2001 MY vehicle...
I did check for recalls on my vehicle but there are none.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't think it was official recall on this issue... It was something like TSB about known problem. Based on provided DTC's and wiring diagram above, it looks really plausible...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's a good question. You'd need to have the fault diagnosed to figure that out. The fault could be anywhere along the pink trace on the diagram.

Was there any loss of coolant (glycol) when the transmission fluid cooler burst? @Carfixer007 is suggesting fluid contamination might be the cause of your issues.
Voltages on those pins in on position was 12.40

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't think it was official recall on this issue... It was something like TSB about known problem. Based on provided DTC's and wiring diagram above, it looks really plausible...
What does this mean, Hyundai should repair at Thier cost?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hyundai also had a problem with transmission internal wiring
Multiple TSBs on this. 01-40-010, 02-40-026, et al.

Check for bent pins or pins not fully inserted, at Autospark's (C54) connector.
Clean the pins with contact cleaner.
Check harness from TCM to connector for short. New harness 914xx-xxxxx.
If 3 or more DTCs, replace harness inside trans oil pan. New harness 46307-39050.
If single DTC, replace that solenoid.
Plus, other steps, unrelated to this case.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts