Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Hyundai Elantra GLS in Canada. Blindspot, adaptive cruise, emergency braking etc.

Realized how much I missed having an auto dimming rearview mirror. I have found the part online for about $250.

From my understanding it needs to be hardwired in for the dimming to work.

Is there a way to do this? The dealership has told me no.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,330 Posts
Use the forum search facility to look for related posts. A few folk on here have already retrofitted an auto dimming mirror. I'm sure I've seen at least one fairly detailed write-up with photos explaining how to do it. Maybe not on your particular model but the procedure and wiring will be much the same.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Realized how much I missed having an auto dimming rearview mirror. I have found the part online for about $250.

Is there a way to do this? The dealership has told me no.

There's a good discussion here:

https://www.hyundai-forums.com/ad-2017-elantra/626010-auto-dimming-mirror-install.html

I should think you can find a mirror for a lot less than $250. I don't know why the dealership told you there's no way to get it done. It doesn't seem to be a big deal (though I haven't done it myself yet).

·
Registered
390 Posts
There is a thread in the Sonata forums about this same thing. According to posts there, it is plug and play. Wiring already there on Sonata. They reference getting the mirror on Ebay around $100. Hope this helps.

·
22,787 Posts
On the MD, the plug was already there behind the overhead console. On the AD, I’m not certain. But as a port of entry or dealer add, I can’t see those guys having to spend more time than necessary to hook one up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the MD, the plug was already there behind the overhead console. On the AD, I’m not certain. But as a port of entry or dealer add, I can’t see those guys having to spend more time than necessary to hook one up.
Hyundai Canada sent me an email response saying it's not possible and you'd have to buy an Ultimate version of the car if I wanted the feature. It makes no sense at all. They didn't even offer an explanation to why it's allegedly not possible.

No dealership here has done it either.

I am just going to buy the part and see if I can do it.

·
22,787 Posts
Hyundai Canada sent me an email response saying it's not possible and you'd have to buy an Ultimate version of the car if I wanted the feature. It makes no sense at all. They didn't even offer an explanation to why it's allegedly not possible.

No dealership here has done it either.

I am just going to buy the part and see if I can do it.
I have never been a fan of their customer support. Most of my responses to a question have been generic, at best! I think they have a general listing of answers. They find one that fits, copy, paste, and respond. Not my idea of customer support!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have never been a fan of their customer support. Most of my responses to a question have been generic, at best! I think they have a general listing of answers. They find one that fits, copy, paste, and respond. Not my idea of customer support!
I have worked out the part to be F3062-ADU00 for an auto dimming mirror w/o Bluelink.

I am still not sure why a 2016 or earlier version of the mirror wouldn't work but whatever lol.

As I am in Canada between the import charges and everything, I am looking at around $250 CAD. $200 even if I get it shipped across the border and don't declare it.

Pretty sure I am just gonna buy it and hope it's just plug n and play

·
Registered
28 Posts
I put an auto-dimming mirror on my 2018 Elantra SEL. Original one was fine, but definitely not better than the auto-dimming one.

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Gentex-50-GENK2AM-Auto-Dimming-Rear-Mirror/dp/B00PHLM3EI/
It took me a couple of hours. The red/black wires need to be hard-wired to 12V switched power and ground. I took the wires to the driver's side fuse box, used a fuse tap to an empty fuse for sunroof/moonroof (with switched power), and put the ground to an open screw attached to the car inside the fuse box.

I fortunately did not remove the A-pillar (people are saying don't mess with airbags and the screw might break). That made it slightly easier. Final product looks awesome.

I researched the following two products before buying the one,
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Brandmotion-9002-9704-Infinity-Dimming-Mirror/dp/B00N4655Z2/
https://www.amazon.com/Gentex-Frameless-Auto-Dimming-Homelink-50-genk80a/dp/B00PXGZESO/
Unless you need compass or homelink, there is no need for a $250 mirror.

Here is how I did it. Doesn't look cool enough, and a bit amateurish, but works and cost me $0 in labour. Stealership quoted $150/hr for labour for 2 hours, and $250 for mirror.

Code:
https://www.hyundai-forums.com/ad-2017-elantra/641963-map-light-power.html#post5813403
If you don't want to take the wires to fuse-box, use the screws from map light, like this guy did.
Code:
https://www.hyundai-forums.com/ad-2017-elantra/641963-map-light-power-2.html#post5816149

·
22,787 Posts
Pretty sure I am just gonna buy it and hope it's just plug n and play
Do yourself a favor if you have about 10-15 spare minutes. There are several screws holding the sunglass holder to the headliner area. Once you drop that down,look for an unused mate-n-lock plug up inside the cavity. If so, chances are you may be in business! {fingers crossed} :grin:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Do yourself a favor if you have about 10-15 spare minutes. There are several screws holding the sunglass holder to the headliner area. Once you drop that down,look for an unused mate-n-lock plug up inside the cavity.

I have the 2017 SE and pulled down the whole dome light unit to checkout the wiring; unfortunately there wasn't a plug there to connect a mirror to. I would still advise the OP to check for it because you never know, and if it's there then the install is trivial.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do yourself a favor if you have about 10-15 spare minutes. There are several screws holding the sunglass holder to the headliner area. Once you drop that down,look for an unused mate-n-lock plug up inside the cavity. If so, chances are you may be in business! {fingers crossed} :grin:
I am going to assume this is the case as I've looked at multiple OEM autodimming mirrors on eBay and none of them look anything more than plug in and play.

@piby2

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the 2017 SE and pulled down the whole dome light unit to checkout the wiring; unfortunately there wasn't a plug there to connect a mirror to. I would still advise the OP to check for it because you never know, and if it's there then the install is trivial.
Yeah I'm gonna check when it's not raining outside. Likely Tuesday when I have time. I'll let you guys know and take photos.

I have the 2018 GLS. Not sure what it's comparable with in the US.

I have blindspot, smart cruise control, lane keeping aid assist, sunroof and backup camera. 7 inch touchscreen, no nav or upgraded audio.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am going to assume this is the case as I've looked at multiple OEM autodimming mirrors on eBay and none of them look anything more than plug in and play.

@piby2
Is this OEM? Looks like plug and play. Check the inside of map light holder, there should a connector for that. I don't have the connector, so bought aftermarket with a black and red wire hanging out. Yours seem to be much easier then :) :) :nerd::nerd:

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Korean built 2017 Elantra GL does not have the extra connector behind the overhead console.

When I checked out the Auto-Dimming Mirror w/ Homelink and Compass (Part No.: F3062-ADU00), I found that it came with wiring instructions to run wires through the headliner, down the A-pillar, and T-tapping wires into the fuse box. All part included in the kit.

The instructions look pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hyundai USA lists an auto dimming mirror on it's website as a dealer installed option. So there must be a way to do it.
Part number Hyundai (F3162-ADU00)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hyundai USA lists an auto dimming mirror on it's website as a dealer installed option. So there must be a way to do it.
Part number Hyundai (F3162-ADU00)
No dealership in my province of Canada has ever installed it. They all claim it's impossible which is bullshit.

Based upon my experiences (all horrible) with Hyundai dealerships, it will definitely be the last Hyundai I ever buy.

Hyundai Canada is also a joke.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My Korean built 2017 Elantra GL does not have the extra connector behind the overhead console.

When I checked out the Auto-Dimming Mirror w/ Homelink and Compass (Part No.: F3062-ADU00), I found that it came with wiring instructions to run wires through the headliner, down the A-pillar, and T-tapping wires into the fuse box. All part included in the kit.

I committed to buying the part. Got it for $150 USD aka $200 CAD.

Should be here within 1-2 weeks. It's coming from Wyoming.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Would you be willing to post a copy of those directions? I am trying to change my mirror to the one with homelink and auto dimming and would like to know the pinout. Thanks... Chuck Bennard

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Extended shop manual is no help, for the body index, Inside Rear View Mirror is listed telling you to remove a couple of screws to take it on and mostly in the removing the windshield section.

Nothing at all in the electrical section, do show circuits of the side view mirrors. More complex with a four directional motor, direction signal, and side alert, but not a darn thing on the inside rear view mirror, but do mention in the windshield part, carefully disconnect the connector.

With dimming, ignition 12 volts, ground, 3 garage door opening buttons, Blue Link, SOS, and a compass, bit on the complicated side.

With all these functions, not sure if the electronics are on the inside of the mirror or elsewhere in the vehicle. Could try to take it apart, but kind of go along with if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

Sure a lot of post on this board about adding accessories that do not come in the "value" models, another marketing term, sure ain't value if you are not getting the goodies.

If you want certain options, could call Hyundai and tell them, if you want to sell me a vehicle include this or that. My son got this idea on his own, wanted a trailer package on a Chrysler minivan, dealer said only way he could get this was besides paying for the trailer package, not only the hitch, but the wiring, larger radiator and battery, had to buy a moon roof and GPS, that was$4,000.00 extra besides the trailer package.

He called the executives and said just the trailer packer of not buying anything from you, it worked for him.

Wife wanted all those options, but with a manual transmission, no way, but I had to convince to accept an automatic with a manual override, just pretend you are stepping on the clutch.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts