Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked up the the part number on the Hyundai website:

3X162 ADU00

I saw there was another version as well designed for those Elantra's without BlueLink. My car will have BlueLink (and the Technology Package).

So my question is: Does the version for cars without BlueLink have the same mirror as the ones for BlueLink models?

Are there other mirrors (Sonata, etc) that will be a quick plug and play swap?

I have found several mirrors for the no BlueLink model that are much cheaper. (The Hyundai site has them priced the same at about $330)

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I looked up the the part number on the Hyundai website:

3X162 ADU00

I saw there was another version as well designed for those Elantra's without BlueLink. My car will have BlueLink (and the Technology Package).

So my question is: Does the version for cars without BlueLink have the same mirror as the ones for BlueLink models?

Are there other mirrors (Sonata, etc) that will be a quick plug and play swap?

I have found several mirrors for the no BlueLink model that are much cheaper. (The Hyundai site has them priced the same at about $330)

Thanks for the help.

Are there other mirrors that will fit sure - a number of them. I swapped mine out for a Gentex-536 I picked up for $28 on Ebay. Will they be plug and play - No.

The BlueLink mirror that I had in my '14 Elantra coupe w/ tech had 3 buttons on it - BlueLink, Highway picture, and SOS. It had a 10 pin connector with 6 wires in it. The 3 buttons on the mirror are simply switches. The 6 wires are the connections to the switches - 2 wires each. There is no ground, constant 12v or switched 12v - which is what you will need if you convert to a homelink or autodimming miror.

Hyundai (and Kia) make wiring harness adapters just for this purpose. Make sure you get the one that goes with your aftermarket mirror.

If your current Bluelink mirror also has a compass, or autodimming or Homelink too, then you should be able to tap into the wires on your current connector - there will be a ground and at least a !2v source (hot/switched).

If it is like mine and you don't, the instructions in the wiring kit will show you how to install the wire in the headliner, go over to the driver's A pillar, and then down to the fuse panel to the left of the steering wheel. From there you will have to put taps on some wires coming out of a connector (2) and ground the ground wire with a ring terminal under a bolt that goes to chassis ground.

I was too lazy to do all that so I found a ground and 12v constant going to the map light and used them. I ran the 12v through a SPST switch mounted in the sun glass compartment so I can turn it off and on - I didn't want the drain on the battery and I park my car outside so I didn't want my Homelink active.

Hope this helps.

KindOldMan

·
Registered
55 Posts
Let me add this one addendum.

If you have a Sunroof, you can use the 12 pin connector going to the sunroof motor (right above the map lights and sunroof control) and get ground, switched 12v, and constant 12v from it (pins 1, 3, and 6 respectively). You can use the red taps that come with the wiring kit for the switched 12v (20~22 gauge tap), but you will want to use bigger ones for the ground and constant 12v (16~18 gauge tap), because they are larger wires. This makes it a lot easier than having to run the connections down to the fuse box.

KindOldMan

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are there other mirrors that will fit sure - a number of them. I swapped mine out for a Gentex-536 I picked up for $28 on Ebay. Will they be plug and play - No.

The BlueLink mirror that I had in my '14 Elantra coupe w/ tech had 3 buttons on it - BlueLink, Highway picture, and SOS. It had a 10 pin connector with 6 wires in it. The 3 buttons on the mirror are simply switches. The 6 wires are the connections to the switches - 2 wires each. There is no ground, constant 12v or switched 12v - which is what you will need if you convert to a homelink or autodimming miror.

Hyundai (and Kia) make wiring harness adapters just for this purpose. Make sure you get the one that goes with your aftermarket mirror.

If your current Bluelink mirror also has a compass, or autodimming or Homelink too, then you should be able to tap into the wires on your current connector - there will be a ground and at least a !2v source (hot/switched).

If it is like mine and you don't, the instructions in the wiring kit will show you how to install the wire in the headliner, go over to the driver's A pillar, and then down to the fuse panel to the left of the steering wheel. From there you will have to put taps on some wires coming out of a connector (2) and ground the ground wire with a ring terminal under a bolt that goes to chassis ground.

I was too lazy to do all that so I found a ground and 12v constant going to the map light and used them. I ran the 12v through a SPST switch mounted in the sun glass compartment so I can turn it off and on - I didn't want the drain on the battery and I park my car outside so I didn't want my Homelink active.

Hope this helps.

KindOldMan
Let me add this one addendum.

If you have a Sunroof, you can use the 12 pin connector going to the sunroof motor (right above the map lights and sunroof control) and get ground, switched 12v, and constant 12v from it (pins 1, 3, and 6 respectively). You can use the red taps that come with the wiring kit for the switched 12v (20~22 gauge tap), but you will want to use bigger ones for the ground and constant 12v (16~18 gauge tap), because they are larger wires. This makes it a lot easier than having to run the connections down to the fuse box.

KindOldMan
Thank you for the insight and input. My car also has the 3 button mirror. I have not used it or activated the features yet. Not sure if I will to be honest. Thanks for the heads up on the pins and pin connectors. I am an electrical engineer and have done a lot of work on my previous cars, so this is helpful.
I installed an Toyota Auto Dimming mirror in my Celica and it was pretty much the same with routing the wires and tapping into the harness. I'm just not sure I want to start popping open panels on my car and was hoping the existing harness was the same and there was a plug and play swap to avoid the harness splicing. My car also has a warranty, so I'm not sure how this would impact that, but I know I don't want to have the Hyundai dealer do it either and charge an arm and a leg....lol

Thanks again for your input. :wink:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just wanted to update this thread for anyone who comes across it later. As it turns out, the stock 3 button Blue Link mirror DOES have 12vdc and ground. It has to. The switches are illuminated, indicating the presence of power and ground.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just wanted to update this thread for anyone who comes across it later. As it turns out, the stock 3 button Blue Link mirror DOES have 12vdc and ground. It has to. The switches are illuminated, indicating the presence of power and ground.
With the ignition on there is switched ground and 12vdc.

Check with the ignition off. I was unable to find chassis ground or 12v on any of the 6 wires.

The Autodim and Compass may work ok, but if you plan on using the Homelink with constant power, you will have to find a different source. You also want to make sure the switched 12v isn't using the auto decay 12v source.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It appears PIN 8 (black) is ground. Pin 6 (RED) is the 12VDC.

Purely speculation based on the connection diagrams I have for the ECC mirror as those two pins are common thru out.

I also noted that the illumination was on even though all other lights on my car were off. This leads me to believe the LED lighting in the Blue Link mirror is always on when the car is on. You just cant see it in the daylight.

I am concerned that the 12 line you found may not have enough capacity to support the new mirror with compass,dimming, Home Link etc.. otherwise Hyundai would not have made separate wires in the adapter harness to tap into other circuits.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well, all I can say is that it has been working perfectly for over a month now. If it had a current issue, it should have blown a fuse. But YMMV - you are using a different mirror than I am. Good Luck.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, all I can say is that it has been working perfectly for over a month now. If it had a current issue, it should have blown a fuse. But YMMV - you are using a different mirror than I am. Good Luck.
That's good to know. As always I appreciate your input. I wasn't putting your logic and methods down.

I was speaking in reference to the mirror I bought. As far as I can tell there is no other OEM mirror available with more features. More features usually means a higher current requirement.

May I ask if the mirror you got have Auto Dimming and Compass?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts