Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my OEM Homelink Mirror and it was for a really good price but it did not come with any other extra wires with spades that I see in the pictures of Aquafresh's DIY install which is here:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/222-yf-2011-sonata-i45/134728-diy-homelink-mirror.html

Basically all I got was the mirror with the wires that come out of it and have a harness. I'm not sure if I just need to cut that harness off and extend wires and crimp them onto the harness in the Sunglasses holder overhead? Am I missing a set of wires and harness or can I do this install with what I have? Below is a photo of all that I have which is just the mirror with the wires coming out. Also, I need the wire cover since it did not come with it. I have a part number of 851103E100 but it does not look correct. Anyone help would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
You will need to cut the harness and get the wires through the roof liner to the connecting wires in the roof.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got my Homelink mirror installed and did it without the use of the extra harness wire with spades that comes with the mirror when you buy it new. I bought the mirror from car-part.com for $65 and didn't have to spend a dollar more for any extra wires or harness. I just cut the harness off the set of wires coming directly out of the mirror leaving four different colored wires; black, green, yellow, and red. From here I just guessed. I followed the diagram that was provided on another thread of the PDF that comes with the mirror new so I knew which wires to splice into on the harness that plugs into the overhead dome light/sunglasses holder. I didn't even use T-Taps, just cut sections away from the wire and soldered them in. A little more sloppy than some of your installs but I was more or less experimenting. Out of the four colored wires, the only one that is not used is the green one. The black went to ground, and the red and yellow went to the ignition power and constant power. My first install, I put the ignition and constant power backwards so the mirror turned on but would not function. I then switched those and it started dimming and allowed me to program my garage door opener. So for $65, I got a $200+ auto-dimming mirror in like new condition. If you buy a mirror like I did used, be sure to ask them to include the black piece of trim that hides the wire from the mirror to top of the interior.

·
Registered
941 Posts
The green wire is for the reverse undim feature, to make it work it has to be wired to the reverse light circuit. That connection is not available up in the headliner and can only be accessed under the dash someplace.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reverse undim? I apologize if this is this self explanatory but what exactly is reverse dim? The mirror is fully functional and can have the auto dimming turned off.

·
Registered
941 Posts
With the wire connected to the reverse light circuit the dimming will automatically turn off when you put the car in reverse. This is helpful when backing up at night.
Although this feature is included in all Gentex mirrors the aftermarket ones don't even come with the pin wired in the harness and the instructions don't mention it, you have to know about it if you want to connect it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Understood. Yes it would be nice if I had that but it may outweigh the labor involved, at least for myself. Thanks for the input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts