Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased my 11 Sonata SE on 10/13/10, traded in my beloved 07 Accent SE :c( that unfortunately came into heavy contact with a deer. My dealer did not have the accessory mirror in stock and quoted me well over $400.00 for mirror and install.

Has anyone installed this mirror? Is there wiring underneath the sunglass holder? I'd assume there was since this is a dealer add-on accessory. I've installed these before in other cars and have tapped the sunroof wiring to do it, any unforeseen problems with doing that on the Sonata?

Any answers/ advice greatly appreciated. I searched through 10 pages of posts and did a search using: auto dimming mirror home link, still came up empty.

Ray

·
1,914 Posts
Ray,

I'm sorry to hear about your Accent. I always thought yours was one of the best looking on the forum! What color Sonata did you get? The mirrors are added on at the port and you can also have dealer add them on too like you stated. Most of the cars come with the wiring and I'm pretty sure the Sonata does too. I have no electrical ability and I managed to put one of the mirrors in my 06 Santa Fe very easily.

I don't think you should have any problems

:beer:

·
Registered
505 Posts
You have to add the wires yourself, but all the places needed ate at the over head console. I have one for sale, it's autodim and homelink, no compass or temp. I will sell it for $150 shipped. The only thing you would need to buy is the wire cover, it's like $6 on eBay. If you buy mine, I will pull down my console and tell you which wires to tap. The one I have I bought for my truck and never installed, and I put one with a screen for a backup camera in the sonata instead.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I installed the OEM one from hyundai over the weekend. Took about 30 minutes. Came with instructions and wire clips as to which wires to tap. I believe they were the Blue, red and black wires in the over plug. I could scan them and post if you want.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (Jeffro2k @ Oct 17 2010, 09:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364170
I installed the OEM one from hyundai over the weekend. Took about 30 minutes. Came with instructions and wire clips as to which wires to tap. I believe they were the Blue, red and black wires in the over plug. I could scan them and post if you want.
I think that would be a great idea and then this post could be stickied. :grin:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have two Gentex auto-dim mirrors laying around at home and these are the instructions I've been trying to find. Thanks!!

·
Registered
603 Posts
:banana: :trophy: :grin: Great post! Thank you so much! This will safe people a lot money by not having to pay dealer prices for the mirror and dealer prices for the installation!!!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advice and offers of help everyone. Ordered my mirror from OEM Hyundai eBay seller for $199.00 and received it on Friday (auto dimming, HomeLink, compass). Saturday morning I pulled the sunglass holder down, popped on 3 wire taps, plugged everything in and now I'm in business...EASY. EASY. EASY. So glad I didn't let the dealer rip me on this. The auto dim is very much appreciated as I'm used to driving SUV's and the lights at night were blinding me.

Ray

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (crayb @ Oct 25 2010, 02:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366176
Thanks for all the advice and offers of help everyone. Ordered my mirror from OEM Hyundai eBay seller for $199.00 and received it on Friday (auto dimming, HomeLink, compass). Saturday morning I pulled the sunglass holder down, popped on 3 wire taps, plugged everything in and now I'm in business...EASY. EASY. EASY. So glad I didn't let the dealer rip me on this. The auto dim is very much appreciated as I'm used to driving SUV's and the lights at night were blinding me.

Ray
Another satisfied customer.... :grin:

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (James2.0T @ Jul 20 2011, 05:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=478586
The instructions mention a panel removal tool...is it included with the OEM mirror? Do I need it for this upgrade?

A panel removal tool is typically a nylon based instrument that allows you to pull and tug on interior panels with less chance of denting, gouging or scratching. I typically will use a plastic putty knife to get my fingernails engaged.

You can get a cheap kit at Harbor Freight. If you want a nicer kit you can go look at Eastwood. They have a $32 version or an $8 version.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Stupid question. I can't find any photo's of how this attaches to the windshield. I have a standard mirror that is attached to the windshield. Does this mirror attach to the console?

Can someone please post pics of what it looks like after the install?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
QUOTE (BadMoon @ Jul 21 2011, 05:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=478902
Stupid question. I can't find any photo's of how this attaches to the windshield. I have a standard mirror that is attached to the windshield. Does this mirror attach to the console?

Can someone please post pics of what it looks like after the install?
It installs to the same glued on, to the glass, base that the standard mirror mounts to. The wires run up into the headliner via a little plastic telescopic "tunnel" that comes with the kit. It is not a difficult install. It even comes with the tiny allen wrench used to remove the old mirror and tighten the new one.

·
Registered
116 Posts
QUOTE (Scott2011 @ Jul 21 2011, 05:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=479153
It installs to the same glued on, to the glass, base that the standard mirror mounts to. The wires run up into the headliner via a little plastic telescopic "tunnel" that comes with the kit. It is not a difficult install. It even comes with the tiny allen wrench used to remove the old mirror and tighten the new one.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the mirror wiring instructions. Now I know where to get Switched Ignition and Ground for my radar detector! I'm mounting it above the mirror where nobody will see it and try to steal it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts