Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...it finally got cold enough here to engage the heat. Yes, the knob actually went beyond the 75 mark! LOL!.

Hyundai needs to give this a lot more thought here. Cold car (IE, just started), heat all the way to 8X. Fan comes on FULL blast blowing cold air all over the place. I was puzzled at first because on my TEN year old Nissan, the auto climate would not blow air until some heat was able to be generated and the fan cycled from very slow to full blast as more heat was available.

So I push 'OFF' and all stops. I push Auto again (temp know still max right clockwise) and the fan roars to life and kicks my output from dash to foot, that part was expected. So I figured its like the great feature of the air conditining that when you go full cold, it kicks on the recirc and maxes the fan out. So I back off two clicks and off/on. Same result. Full fan of cold air.

Now I back the temp knob back down between 75 and 6x and the fan slows down a lot. It doesn't seem to me that there are a lot of smarts to this unit. It seems that the only predominate check is if {AmbTemP} <> {SetTemp} adjust fan speed.

And I am still miffed that the compressor still comes on when the AC button isn't lit. If the button isn't lit, the compressor should not come on. Another user posted a disconnect process that I still have to do, but over all getting the "auto climate" inst a feature. Its a bane and a disappointment.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Oct 5 2010, 10:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361235
OK...it finally got cold enough here to engage the heat. Yes, the knob actually went beyond the 75 mark! LOL!.

Hyundai needs to give this a lot more thought here. Cold car (IE, just started), heat all the way to 8X. Fan comes on FULL blast blowing cold air all over the place. I was puzzled at first because on my TEN year old Nissan, the auto climate would not blow air until some heat was able to be generated and the fan cycled from very slow to full blast as more heat was available.

So I push 'OFF' and all stops. I push Auto again (temp know still max right clockwise) and the fan roars to life and kicks my output from dash to foot, that part was expected. So I figured its like the great feature of the air conditining that when you go full cold, it kicks on the recirc and maxes the fan out. So I back off two clicks and off/on. Same result. Full fan of cold air.

Now I back the temp knob back down between 75 and 6x and the fan slows down a lot. It doesn't seem to me that there are a lot of smarts to this unit. It seems that the only predominate check is if {AmbTemP} <> {SetTemp} adjust fan speed.

And I am still miffed that the compressor still comes on when the AC button isn't lit. If the button isn't lit, the compressor should not come on. Another user posted a disconnect process that I still have to do, but over all getting the "auto climate" inst a feature. Its a bane and a disappointment.

on any car, if the defroster button is activated, the a/c runs to help dehydrate the interior. can't help you with the rest. I have always trusted manual controls for everything. manual lights, manual transmission, manual hvac, manual windshield wipers, etc.... less automation = less that can fail. plus, you dont have Hal in there behind the dash overriding you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qnd-hdmgfk

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (robspeedGLS @ Oct 5 2010, 11:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361240
on any car, if the defroster button is activated, the a/c runs to help dehydrate the interior. can't help you with the rest. I have always trusted manual controls for everything. manual lights, manual transmission, manual hvac, manual windshield wipers, etc.... less automation = less that can fail. plus, you dont have Hal in there behind the dash overriding you.

I have no issues with AC being active while the defrost mode is on. That's just common sense. However if I manually push the AC button OFF, the dog gone thing should turn off until I hit Auto or AC again. My account of my complaint above was not in defrost mode, I just turned the knob up to "hot".

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Oct 5 2010, 10:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361243
I have no issues with AC being active while the defrost mode is on. That's just common sense. However if I manually push the AC button OFF, the dog gone thing should turn off until I hit Auto or AC again. My account of my complaint above was not in defrost mode, I just turned the knob up to "hot".
hmm interesting. Someone get a leash on Hal again! ;)

ps. I ran the heater in my car for the first time this morning as well. seems like one day its 90 degrees and the next day its down to 40.

·
Registered
326 Posts
With my Limited, I too have been puzzled about why the A/C light comes on when I simply INCREASE the temp dial for a little more heat. I just figgured I should've read the manual, and then I just keep hitting buttons until the A/C light goes off (it's not in the defrost mode, BTW).

There might be some reason behind the functionality of the controls, but they are definitely not what one would call "intuitive."

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (robspeedGLS @ Oct 5 2010, 10:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361240

LOL @ HAL inside the dash overriding you! I feel like that sometimes. Just the other day, my garage door REFUSED to close. I made sure nothing was blocking the electric eyes. I made sure they were aimed. I even got out some Windex and cleaned them. I went inside the house, came out 30 minutes later and tried again and it went down with no problems since! Stupid technology! :)

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (Klooks Kleek @ Oct 5 2010, 12:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361256
With my Limited, I too have been puzzled about why the A/C light comes on when I simply INCREASE the temp dial for a little more heat. I just figgured I should've read the manual, and then I just keep hitting buttons until the A/C light goes off (it's not in the defrost mode, BTW).

There might be some reason behind the functionality of the controls, but they are definitely not what one would call "intuitive."
I believe its due to the tie in with the compressor when the Temp is set UNDER 75. Its rather stupid in my opinion. An just because the light is off doesn't mean the compressor isn't running.

I was giving the auto climate a C. But after this I think we have dipped int D range.

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Oct 5 2010, 11:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361235
And I am still miffed that the compressor still comes on when the AC button isn't lit.
Just turn the 'defrost logic' off; it's in the manual. Then the A/C light will be on whenever compressor is engaged. MUCH better that way.

As far as auto climate systems, ALL are crap IMO. And I basically use them in manual mode. Turn fan on first, then A/C if desired. The bad feature of this auto system is it always has recirc engaged.

Now, a misconception about auto climate systems is if you turn the dial all the way to cold or hot is going to cool more: NOPE. It blows the same cold air at 60 than 72 if the temperature is 90 outside... until it cools down to the set temeprature, at which point air will blow to maintain it. And same for the heat. At the extremes is just going to blow full blast a lot longer, plus A/C compressor might turn on automatically. Try it. The temperature feature always works (although it's not going to be logical), but you have to find the right setting for hot and cold weather (they usually differ a little). I typically use 72 for summer and 76 for winter, but usually manipulate the fan and A/C manually (if I had 72 in my house, I'd be freezing :grin:). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (elp_jc @ Oct 5 2010, 01:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361284
Just turn the 'defrost logic' off; it's in the manual. Then the A/C light will be on whenever compressor is engaged. MUCH better that way.

As far as auto climate systems, ALL are crap IMO. And I basically use them in manual mode. Turn fan on first, then A/C if desired. The bad feature of this auto system is it always has recirc engaged.

Now, a misconception about auto climate systems is if you turn the dial all the way to cold or hot is going to cool more: NOPE. It blows the same cold air at 60 than 72 if the temperature is 90 outside... until it cools down to the set temeprature, at which point air will blow to maintain it. And same for the heat. At the extremes is just going to blow full blast a lot longer, plus A/C compressor might turn on automatically. Try it. The temperature feature always works (although it's not going to be logical), but you have to find the right setting for hot and cold weather (they usually differ a little). I typically use 72 for summer and 76 for winter, but usually manipulate the fan and A/C manually (if I had 72 in my house, I'd be freezing :grin:). Hope this helps.
Yeah, I believe you made this recommendation in another thread but honestly I keep forgetting to do it until I get in the car and swear at myself. :whistling:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have no complaints with the system , it is sort of set and forget.
Now I wish the heated seats had a thermostat, they do get hot.
I guess its their way of reminding you to turn them off.

·
Registered
533 Posts
All these replies and the OP's original concern is not addressed. The auto climate control should not allow the car to blow any air until it is warmed. I have not had a vehicle with auto climate control that did let air flow until warmed. I assume this is an oops and should be corrected with a software upgrade. Guess we need to mention this to our dealers.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've had a few cars with auto climate control (some over 10 years ago) and none of them blew a lot of air out until engine coolant temps were sufficiently high to output heat. Prior to that, they all kept the fan on a very low setting. In fact, I think they all gradually increased the fan speed when cabin temp was lower than the driver-selected temp. So, I do find it odd that the Sonata auto climate control will put the fan at full speed automatically before coolant temps are sufficiently high to actually produce heat.

Just a point of clarification for people reading this thread on auto climate control systems. It's a common misconception that turning the temp knob fully one way or the other (i.e., full cold or full hot) will cause the car to cool down or heat up faster. The thing you have to remember is that the user-selected temp isn't the temp of the air coming out of the vents, but rather the desired cabin temp. So, if there is a differential between cabin temp and the user-selected temp, the HVAC system will adjust the vent air temp accordingly; i.e., colder air when cabin temp is higher than selected, and warmer air when cabin temp is lower than selected.

As for the A/C compressor always being on, is that true? In my experience with past auto climate control-equipped cars, hitting the Auto button always turned on the A/C but then you could manually turn it off either by pressing the A/C button or Econ button (which two of said cars had). Also, once it was off, the A/C compressor would stay off unless you again hit the Auto button, the A/C button, or the defroster vents button (even after shutdown and restart). Is this not the case with the Sonata system?

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
QUOTE (NBCGLX @ Oct 6 2010, 01:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361547
I've had a few cars with auto climate control (some over 10 years ago) and none of them blew a lot of air out until engine coolant temps were sufficiently high to output heat. Prior to that, they all kept the fan on a very low setting. In fact, I think they all gradually increased the fan speed when cabin temp was lower than the driver-selected temp. So, I do find it odd that the Sonata auto climate control will put the fan at full speed automatically before coolant temps are sufficiently high to actually produce heat.

Just a point of clarification for people reading this thread on auto climate control systems. It's a common misconception that turning the temp knob fully one way or the other (i.e., full cold or full hot) will cause the car to cool down or heat up faster. The thing you have to remember is that the user-selected temp isn't the temp of the air coming out of the vents, but rather the desired cabin temp. So, if there is a differential between cabin temp and the user-selected temp, the HVAC system will adjust the vent air temp accordingly; i.e., colder air when cabin temp is higher than selected, and warmer air when cabin temp is lower than selected.

As for the A/C compressor always being on, is that true? In my experience with past auto climate control-equipped cars, hitting the Auto button always turned on the A/C but then you could manually turn it off either by pressing the A/C button or Econ button (which two of said cars had). Also, once it was off, the A/C compressor would stay off unless you again hit the Auto button, the A/C button, or the defroster vents button (even after shutdown and restart). Is this not the case with the Sonata system?

Your post brings up the exact points I am making with the Sonatas Auto AC. If other peoples operate a different way then I need to have mine checked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts