Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All you limited owners out there, let me know if this is all of our cars or just mine... The other day it got really cool while I was driving so I decided to shut the A/C off and just let fresh air blow through the vents. At the time, the system was on Auto which of course was running the A/C compressor. I hit the OFF button and then simply adjusted the fan speed button to turn the blower on and allow fresh air to come in. After a minute or two I noticed that the air was still ice cold and neither the Auto or A/C lights were lit up. I shut the system down again by pressing OFF and pressed the Fresh Air/Recirculate button and then adjusted the fan speed button to turn the blower back on. It was only at this point that I noticed the air was not cold anymore and felt like the air temp outside. When I got home I fiddled with it some more and discovered that everytime I had the system on Auto - Turned it OFF - Used the fan speed button to turn the system back on I would hear the A/C compressor click back on and start cooling the air down even though the Auto or A/C lights were not lit and when I turned the temp dial down, the blower would start blowing harder and the air would get colder and colder. Now correct me if I am wrong, but that is behaving EXACTLY as if the system was in AUTO mode.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
the evaporator was probably still cold... if the system was off, and the fresh air button was selected while having the temp knob still on the cold side yes it will blow cold. the blend doors do not close when you turn the system off. and it will take time for the evaporator to warm back up from having refrigerant running through it.

her is a site to get a better idea on how it works. http://www.familycar.com/classroom/ac1.htm

ALSO. forgot to mention if you have the temp gauge anywhere lower than i think its around 75 degrees it will kick the compressor on to dry out the air. ALSO if your using the front window defroster no matter what temp its on the compressor will run as well.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Thats good to know about the lower than 75 degree mark and it trying to dry out the air.

I have noticed the exact same behavior after having it on Auto and then hitting OFF. Yes the air coming through was still very cool but this was not just residual coolness of the evaporator. How I know this is I can feel the compressor running through the gas pedal. The rhythmic cyclic feeling. Same feeling I get as when I know the A/C is on.

I cannot remember what I did exactly to get it to turn off but I know I am able to eventually. I will try keeping the temp above 75 and see if that does the trick.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I have found this same exact operation. When I hit OFF, and then fan button to engage the fan I don't want the compressor running. I don't believe I get 5 plus minutes of additional cool air from a non-running compressor.

I have found if I:

1) Hit off
2) Hit AC (light now on)
3) Hit AC again (light off) the air does not kick on.

Then the outside air comes in and the compressor isn't running.

I have also found that if you move the temp gauge all the way to the left, it kicks the AC on automatically and moved the vent to recirc. Over all the auto climate on the 2011 Sonata is a 'C'. I hate the one on our Rav and find it better than the Sonata.

I have also found that you get air in auto mode and the AC light isnt illuminated.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I guess we have determined that this system behaves a little different than other Auto Climate Control systems we have seen in other cars. I know from owning a Lexus and a Maxima with auto climate systems that when you don't have the AUTO button pressed or the A/C button pressed, you are in complete control of the fan speed and whether or not the system cuts the A/C compressor on or off.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Interesting.

This is the first car I've had with an "auto" temperature control and it works the way I would expect - depending on the temperature degree setting, it determines whether I need either heat or AC and it determines the fan speed to get to and hold that temperature.

From the Manual (Page 4-89) QUOTE
The modes, fan speeds, air intake and air-conditioning will be controlled automatically by temperature setting.
It is called the "The Full Automatic Temperature Control (FATC) system" for a reason, it appears.

I'm OK with it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My main gripe is, say the air temp outside it 65 degrees and I want that air to blow in through the vents without running the A/C compressor. If I turn the temp dial down past 75 degrees, the system decides to cut the A/C compressor on whether I have it in AUTO mode or not and at the same time I don't want the system trying to heat the outside air up to 75 degrees if I want the cool air to come in from outside. Just sayin... you have to fiddle around with the dials and buttons and make sure the system isn't "taking control" again.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
i usually drive with the window open regardless haha.

even if its freezing out i just love the cold air hitting me with the blower on hot.

+1 for heated seats as well. which by the way i used the first time today and holy **** it helped with my back felt like someone put a heat pad where i broke my back.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Yeah, I came from an 01 Maxima. When you had AUTO on, it was full control by computer with compressor. ECON was NO compressor, full control.

It should be the same with the Sonata. IF you don't want compressor, then you should be able to do that.

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Sep 16 2010, 01:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356671
I have also found that you get air in auto mode and the AC light isnt illuminated.
That's a cure for that :grin:. And that's the reason the system seems whacky. Once you turn off the 'auto defog' feature, or something like that (it's in the manual, so just read it, as I don't remember what buttons to press), it'll behave normally. And A/C light will always turn on when compressor is ON.

All I do when I don't want A/C is just hit the 'A/C' button to turn it off, and it stays off regardless of temperature. In summer, I only do this like a minute before arriving at a destination, so evaporator doesn't develop mold and start smelling later on. One thing I dislike about this system is if it's in AUTO, it always turns recirc ON, and I don't like that except when I want to cool down the interior initially. So when car is hot, I hit 'auto', and when it's cool enough, just hit the 'fresh' button and system turns to manual mode. I leave it there, and manually regulate the fan. No auto HVAC system is perfect for me, and this car is no exception. But it became much better after deactivating that feature. If the system only used 'recirc' for a minute or two, it'd have been almost perfect. Hope this helps gang.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (elp_jc @ Sep 17 2010, 12:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356864
That's a cure for that :grin:. And that's the reason the system seems whacky. Once you turn off the 'auto defog' feature, or something like that (it's in the manual, so just read it, as I don't remember what buttons to press), it'll behave normally. And A/C light will always turn on when compressor is ON.

All I do when I don't want A/C is just hit the 'A/C' button to turn it off, and it stays off regardless of temperature. In summer, I only do this like a minute before arriving at a destination, so evaporator doesn't develop mold and start smelling later on. One thing I dislike about this system is if it's in AUTO, it always turns recirc ON, and I don't like that except when I want to cool down the interior initially. So when car is hot, I hit 'auto', and when it's cool enough, just hit the 'fresh' button and system turns to manual mode. I leave it there, and manually regulate the fan. No auto HVAC system is perfect for me, and this car is no exception. But it became much better after deactivating that feature. If the system only used 'recirc' for a minute or two, it'd have been almost perfect. Hope this helps gang.
So you did the prescribed process in the manual and it operates like you describe in the second paragraph? I must dig that process up!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Sep 17 2010, 12:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356872
So you did the prescribed process in the manual and it operates like you describe in the second paragraph? I must dig that process up!
Page 4/97. (Defogging logic)

Automatic climate control system
1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON
position.
2. Select the defrost position pressing
defrost button ( ).
3. While holding the air conditioning button
(A/C) pressed, press the air intake
control button at least 5 times within 3
seconds.
The indicator on the air intake control
button blinks 3 times with 0.5 second of
interval. It indicates that the defogging
logic is canceled or returned to the programmed
status.

If the battery has been discharged or disconnected,
the system resets to the programmed
defogging logic.

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Sep 17 2010, 01:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356872
So you did the prescribed process in the manual and it operates like you describe in the second paragraph?
Yep. And jsmith86 posted it above for you :thumbsup:, but look at your manual for the symbols, if you want.

QUOTE (jsmit86 @ Sep 17 2010, 03:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356904
That's the one; thanks man :clap:.

Hope that makes you folks happier owners :grin: .

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had exact symptom as ACDavis82 described. What elp_jc and jsmit86 provided was the answer. By default, the "Defogging logic" is on and gave the experience I have never had with previous cars that I have driven. After following the instructions on page 4-97 from the manual to turn it off, everything is back to normal. I even went to the service department at the dealership where I bought my car. They were not sure what was the issue either and implied that my temperature sensation is off. Now, I can go back and educate them.

·
Registered
411 Posts
QUOTE (goducks @ Jun 21 2011, 03:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=464385
I had exact symptom as ACDavis82 described. What elp_jc and jsmit86 provided was the answer. By default, the "Defogging logic" is on and gave the experience I have never had with previous cars that I have driven. After following the instructions on page 4-97 from the manual to turn it off, everything is back to normal. I even went to the service department at the dealership where I bought my car. They were not sure what was the issue either and implied that my temperature sensation is off. Now, I can go back and educate them.

So how do i turn the defog logic back on once i turn it off?

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (Zebodog @ Jun 22 2011, 10:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=464798
Same process.

RTFM

+1

QUOTE (jsmit86 @ Sep 17 2010, 03:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356904

Automatic climate control system
1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON
position.
2. Select the defrost position pressing
defrost button ( ).
3. While holding the air conditioning button
(A/C) pressed, press the air intake
control button at least 5 times within 3
seconds.
The indicator on the air intake control
button blinks 3 times with 0.5 second of
interval. It indicates that the defogging
logic is canceled or returned to the programmed
status.

If the battery has been discharged or disconnected,
the system resets to the programmed
defogging logic.

·
Registered
426 Posts
My A/C question/problem is with auto itself. I can be in the car and cold and, if I press auto, it automatically takes my A/C all the way up to the highest fan setting and stays there. I turn it down because it doesn't go down on its own - of course, I also don't give it much time to do so because I'm already cold. Is it not working properly? Is that even possible?

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (onlygators @ Jun 22 2011, 11:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=464830
My A/C question/problem is with auto itself. I can be in the car and cold and, if I press auto, it automatically takes my A/C all the way up to the highest fan setting and stays there. I turn it down because it doesn't go down on its own - of course, I also don't give it much time to do so because I'm already cold. Is it not working properly? Is that even possible?
If you have your thermostat knob all the way counter clockwise, it will kick you into full fan recirc mode. In the event it happens again, adjust your thermostat knob a couple clicks in the clockwise direction to see what happens.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts