Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From 24/7 Wall Street:

When Toyota Motor Corp.'s (TM) U.S. sales collapsed four years ago, and did not make any recovery for three, most industry analysts blamed recalls and the effects of the 2011 Japan earthquake on production. In addition, and probably as important as the other two, there was the rise of the South Korean car industry, which offered Americans what Japanese models once did -- low prices with good quality. The fortunes of manufacturers have turned sharply. Japan's leader, Toyota, has gained back much of its share. Hyundai's share has fallen.

New forecasts for August cars sales from KBB show that Toyota's market share will stay at 14.7%, the same as August a year ago. That would put it virtually tied with Ford Motor Co. (NYSE: F), which currently holds the second spot behind General Motors Co. (
GM). Toyota will sell 214,000 cars and trucks this month, up 13.5% . Hyundai and its sister brand Kia will show a sales improvement of only 7.1%. That figure seems impressive at first, but it is not compared to an expected improvement of 13.6%, to an August total of 1.46 million, for the entire industry.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,222 Posts
I can speak to this subject with some personal knowledge. Hyundai needs to have a better method of shipping desired cars to the dealers. Whoever concocted the current method is not the sharpest pencil in the box. They get loaded up with the wrong models, some blow hot, and then cold. They can't sell what they don't have. And many sales are made on the spur of the moment. Delay loses sales.

I'll give but one example. A local dealer had a whole lot of black Elantra GTs in particular. So a couple were sold. What did they get in return? More black Elantra GTs. The sales manager's eyes rolled around in his head at this craziness. This is why dealers have to resort to dealer trades and hope that the reciprocating dealer will accept something he has on his lot in order to get the other car. But in the meantime the sale may go down the drain.

Hyundai needs to clean up its act. The cars are fine. The management has its head up its tailpipe and fix the distribution issue.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I agree with you, Richard.

The fact that Hyundai will not let customers order a car is obscene and their mixture of trims and options seems to have been developed by a blind monkey smoking a big bowl of bad weed. My local dealer has been low on cars for several months now and the only thing Hyundai will give them are Elantra Limiteds, base Santa Fes and Elantra GTs without nav. No Accents, no Velosters, no Genesis (sedan or coupe), no Equus, no Azeras and hardly any Sonatas. I don't know what they're thinking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts