Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a proud owner of a 2012 Elantra sedan but the OEM system/sound is pure rubbish.I recently visited a local custom a audio shop seeking advice and to see what my options are.The shop owner dropped the "it's a hyundai" line,and informed me that the most could be added was a single or double din radio or adding a line converter to the factory radio.I'm wondering if it's possible to "upgrade" to the factory head unit with nav, & add the line converter as well as replace the door speakers and add an amp / sub woofer.I'm open to suggestion i just don't like cheep look of some of the aftermarket options i've seen. LIVE LONG AND PROSPER !!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
i recently installed a pioneer avic-8200nex. used harness/swc and faceplate from crutchfield. radio was 525, harness/swc/faceplate was 175. not quite plug and play, it was a learning experience. the factory radio was lousy. after new radio, speakers are way better. i think at full volume, the radio will destroy the speakers. from what i have read, a factory radio/nav unit is not possible. some new radios now have wireless android auto and apple car play, and mirror phone. if you cant install yourself, then your options are way less

·
Registered
941 Posts
of course you can do any of that... and it's all fairly easy as well.

find a unit you like and build onto it. i've got some inexpensive Kicker door speakers that I would recommend but it all depends how much you want to spend. there's plenty of options out there. since an upgraded radio would have rca outputs you wouldn't need a LOC and then you can add on an amp and sub of your choosing. I was always partial to an under the seat sub so that it didn't take my trunk space, but of course you're not getting heart pounding bass from those either. again it depends what you want.

if you want to amplify the door speakers that will get a little more challenging. for a 2012 you might be able to easily run new speaker wire into the doors from an amp but if you can't then you'll be stuck using the factory wiring which means you'll need to find a spot where you can access all the speaker wiring together (most likely behind the radio) and cut those wires to go to the output of the amp. a bit of a daunting task but it's doable.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm a proud owner of a 2012 Elantra sedan but the OEM system/sound is pure rubbish.I recently visited a local custom a audio shop seeking advice and to see what my options are.The shop owner dropped the "it's a hyundai" line,and informed me that the most could be added was a single or double din radio or adding a line converter to the factory radio.I'm wondering if it's possible to "upgrade" to the factory head unit with nav, & add the line converter as well as replace the door speakers and add an amp / sub woofer.I'm open to suggestion i just don't like cheep look of some of the aftermarket options i've seen. LIVE LONG AND PROSPER !!
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER !

Front
Infinity Reference 6030cs 6.5-Inch 270-Watt Two-Way Component System
Back
Infinity Reference 6032si 6.5-Inch, Shallow Mount High Performance 150-Watt Two-Way Loudspeaker (Pair)

Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack you can place it on top of the glove box uder the dash , there is a nice gap there , make sure you bolt it or ziptie it.

I did this first and I was happy ,

But then I got this

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KLY...bbeb-4f3b-a958-a8efd09505a7&priceBeautifyAB=0

I got Waze , Here GO Maps , Extra SD card with 64GB of MP3 , TuneIn radio , Spotify .
All the buttons on the wheel work as a charm.
You can even customise then to do what you want .
With long press and short press dual function.
So bacally you get and android tablet with custon ROM that you can control with your voice or from thw wheel.

You can even click the voice button and user Google VOice to make Calls , navigate , Search and everything -- that function is a bit slow .
But everything else is fast.

How you get internet is like this
https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/syncup via WIFI

It is possile to Get a USB SIM CARD GONGLE taht works with the head unit but I, cound not do it so I justy got the wifi.

Back up camera is on after 1.5 seconds after you start the car.

Waze is on after about 30-45 seconds.

and this , that went under the passanger seat
https://www.ebay.com/p/Kenwood-KSC-...r-Subwoofer/217355809?iid=222649497525&chn=ps

This helped the lows a bit .

Connected all with a new harness , so I can go back to stock with just a simple plug and play.
basically the harness cables are cut and you add the amp there.
None of the car cables are touced you only touch the harness .
If you want to go back to stock you remove the harness and plug everything back to original .
The only problem I had was integraion of the stock backup camera.
If you dont have a stock camera then you can get one with the Head unit from aliexpress.
I installation guy had to ground some calbe for the reverse to be a ble to activate the camera but he did it .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quickconne...ing-Harness-/282767552401?hash=item41d6426f91

So far it sounds awesome , THE BASE is not glass shareting but it is sufficent , if you want more you have to have a subwoofer in the trunk .

With my setup everything looks stock exept the 8 INCH SCREEN ! ! !! :)
I took me $200 in instalation and one month in research.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Was all this stuff done on a base Elantra or one with the Tech Package? Good info here but not sure how much applies to a Limited with Tech Package.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
i just installed this on our other elantra:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_1304400NEX/Pioneer-AVH-W4400NEX.html

they had an additional promotion with the rebate, so i got the radio and all the install harness/faceplate for 610, not including the 150$ rebate. i think the nav in the 8200 is lousy, waze and google maps is way better. however, the pioneer nav has larger fonts, so i use it, but have waze in the background. the 4400nex has wireless carplay and android auto. it also has mirrorphone, but i cant get it to work with iphone. yet. both our cars are value editions, which show up as se. you might be happy with just a really good radio, we are. looking back, i would rather have the 4400 over the 8200 because the pioneer nav is not worth the extra money. and wireless connection is much better than cable.

·
Registered
799 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts