Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after unsuccessfully trying to get out of the lease on my 2.0T i thought maybe I could still live with the car if I was able to upgrade the sound system. Not sure if we are allowed to do this or not on a lease(I will be returning it at the end of the lease).

·
Registered
89 Posts
My question was, are we allowed to do any upgrades on a leased car??
Just throw two 10" subwoofers with Hifonics Brutus 1200 amp and your system will sound great. I have the regular Dimension system in my car and just added subs and it sounds better than the Infinity system I had in my other Sonata. Don't get me wrong, the Infinity system was a little more crisp, but adding the subwoofer put it over the top.

And, you can easily remove the subs when you turn in the car and then put the subs into your next car. Two 10" subs will make the biggest improvement in your stereo, period.

·
Registered
559 Posts
What's your buyout? Mine is $18.6K currently, 25k miles. Pretty sure I could get a dealer to buy it out if I wanted to ditch it, which I'm almost ready.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's your buyout? Mine is $18.6K currently, 25k miles. Pretty sure I could get a dealer to buy it out if I wanted to ditch it, which I'm almost ready.
Upside down by about 3K my dealership claims. Your never going to break even getting out of a lease early

·
Registered
559 Posts
Upside down by about 3K my dealership claims. Your never going to break even getting out of a lease early
Sure you can. Happens all the time with Subarus here in Colorado. Just need to lease a car that keeps it's value like crazy. Co worker traded in her 2010 Outback 6 months early, got $3,000 of equity (took cash), and leased a new Outback.

I leased a 2011 Kia Optima EX for 10 months, had $1,500 down from trade in equity. Hyundai dealer gave me $1,200 over buyout and got the '12 Sonata with 3k miles (demo) for $25k, $340/month 15k miles/yr with sign and drive.

Just a numbers game.

Once the '15 WRX hits dealers in a few months, I'll see what kind of deal can be made. I'm done with FWD cars, they suck when you have steep hills and snow/ice.

·
Registered
559 Posts
What did they say your '12 SE 2.0T was worth?

Here is a small sample of 2012 Sonata SE 20.T being sold at Manheim Auto Auction across the country in the last 30 days:

WHOLESALE prices:

20K miles, White, Avg Cond, $15,900
8k miles, Silver, Above Cond, $19,000
23k miles, Black, Above Cond, $18,700
43k miles, White, Avg Cond, $17,400
23k miles, Silver, Avg Cond, $17,300
19k miles, Gray, Avg Cond, $17,300
55k miles, Black, Below Cond, $14,600
50k miles, Black, Avg Cond, $16,900

Gives you an idea what dealers are paying for them, which is what you should get offered.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What did they say your '12 SE 2.0T was worth?

Here is a small sample of 2012 Sonata SE 20.T being sold at Manheim Auto Auction across the country in the last 30 days:

WHOLESALE prices:

20K miles, White, Avg Cond, $15,900
8k miles, Silver, Above Cond, $19,000
23k miles, Black, Above Cond, $18,700
43k miles, White, Avg Cond, $17,400
23k miles, Silver, Avg Cond, $17,300
19k miles, Gray, Avg Cond, $17,300
55k miles, Black, Below Cond, $14,600
50k miles, Black, Avg Cond, $16,900

Gives you an idea what dealers are paying for them, which is what you should get offered.

17,000 is what i was offered, 22,000 miles. Tried 2 different dealershps and got the same number. Much depends on your monthly payment and what we actually paid for the car, and how much is left on the lease. I am only 15months in a 36 month lease. (me car is an SE, not a limited, less value)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just throw two 10" subwoofers with Hifonics Brutus 1200 amp and your system will sound great. I have the regular Dimension system in my car and just added subs and it sounds better than the Infinity system I had in my other Sonata. Don't get me wrong, the Infinity system was a little more crisp, but adding the subwoofer put it over the top.

And, you can easily remove the subs when you turn in the car and then put the subs into your next car. Two 10" subs will make the biggest improvement in your stereo, period.
Where did you choose for location of the subs?

·
Registered
559 Posts
$17K sounds right then, what they are going for at auction. Definitely not worth losing/rolling $3k into the next car. Hopefully at the 24 month mark you won't be so upside down and you can look at your options again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Where did you choose for location of the subs?

I threw the subs in a box and put the box as far in the trunk as possible. Like I said, I can still fit my softball bat bag and golf clubs, plus groceries without any problem. There is plenty of room in the trunk for a box. Actually, a box with two 12" subs would probably fit better. My box is a little small. I just mounted the amp to the back of the box and the system sounds great. With subs added, my Dimension stereo sounds much better than the stock Infinity stereo. I like loud music, and if you don't have subs, it just doesn't sound that good. I had my subs in my other Sonata with the Infinity and that sounded better, but I opted to save the $3500 upgrade charge for the stereo on my current Sonata.

I am planning on installing a Parrot Smart head unit. Best stereo on the market right now. It has an Android interface. I'm thinking of waiting until the next version comes out because the Android version is a little dated.

ASTEROID Smart - Navigation, Apps, multimedia and Bluetooth® hands-free

2 x Alpine Type R subs - about $250
Hifonics 1200 Brutus - about $200
Box and wiring - about $125
installation - free of course

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Make sure that you use a good adapter kit and wiring harness. Under no circumstances do you want to cut any wires or alter the dash opening of a leased car. While they probably won't check at turn in time, you could encounter a nasty electrical issue or the stock headunit may not fit back right when you pull out your gear.

And speaking of stock headunit, store it safely while you are under your lease. Sonata radios aren't exactly expensive, but losing/damaging the one you have will just add more money out of your pocket if you need to replace it. Also, those things have a funny habit of happening the day of or before time for the car to go back.

My sister modded the audio system in her leased Cobalt (yes, I know and I still get on her for that oh-so-smart move). It was easy bc the battery was in the trunk but I still had to carefully remove all of the stuff when she turned it back in. Lucky for us we used small splices to wires and did not bolt her sub box down.

The key is to make it look like you never touched it. If they cant see obvious signs of tampering at turn in time, you should be home free.

Mod carefully!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Donmc, how much did this set up run you?( This is not an area of expertise for me so I would have to pay someone to do it).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Donmc, how much did this set up run you?( This is not an area of expertise for me so I would have to pay someone to do it).

It's gonna be $600-$800 for the equipment and another $200 or so to install. Not sure. I've paid to have anything installed before.

Check out Sonicelectronix.com. They some of the best prices.

I would recommend the Hifonics Brutus 1200 amp for about $200
You will need decent subs at about $175 each. I have Alpine Type R's. Another $125 for a box and cables. So $500 plus install for really nice sounding system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here's a short vid of the system I put in my Sonata utilizing the factory speakers. Super easy to put the factory headunit back in at the end of the lease.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts