Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my 7-seater Santa Fe Limited since it was brand new in 2014 and I am finally upgrading the audio system. The SF went from our main family car to our second vehicle after we recently purchased a GMC Yukon.

I will be installing a new head unit, 4 channel amplifier, front component speakers, and 8-inch subwoofer.. I'll be using a combination of newly purchased items and some stuff that I had from some of my other past cars.

HU: Pioneer AVH-X391BHS double-din, DVD, Bluetooth, etc. - recently bought used on Amazon Warehouse for $129.99
Dash Kit: Scosche HY1632B - $22.99 bought recently at Sonicelectronix.com
Wiring kit: PAC RP4.2-HY11 - I just scored this used on ebay for $25. These are usually $100+ new. With this, I should be able to retain steering wheel controls and factory rear view camera.
Speakers: RE Audio SR-6.5C 6 1/2 inch components - Bought these a few years back used on Amazon Warehouse for $55.
Amp: Precision Power ICE10004 80 watts RMS x 4 ch - Bought a few years back new for $75
Sub: Soundstorm SS8 - bought on Amazon Warehouse last year for $19.

I have everything ready to go except the PAC wiring kit. It should arrive on Monday, the 22nd. But today, I decided to try hooking up the head unit and seeing how the dash kit would fit. I had an old Hyundai wiring harness that I was able to use so I didn't have to cut factory wires.

Day 1 progress
HU2.jpg

Dash kit is pretty plain and simple. Color match is pretty good. The brackets holding the head unit behind the dash seem a little weak, but it seems to be holding well. I'm not going off-roading in my Santa Fe, so it should be fine. HU sounds much better than stock, speakers will make a huge difference.

I'll slowly be doing this project over the next few weeks. I'll probably install the wiring kit to get my steering wheel controls and rear camera next. I'll update the thread as I progress. Feel free to ask any questions!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Good stuff. This is probably only doable with slightly older model years such as yours. On my 2019 XL the A/C controls are integrated into the stock head unit.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Good stuff. This is probably only doable with slightly older model years such as yours. On my 2019 XL the A/C controls are integrated into the stock head unit.

That's a good point, my girlfriend's 01 Honda Accord has the AC also Incorporated in the stock head unit. When it died, she went after market it has had nothing but problems ever since with the AC.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Luckily, no issues with that on my older model. I probably wouldn't even attempt to mess with it if that was the case.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My build is on hold. Came out to my garage to work on it the other day and the car wouldn't start. I thought maybe I screwed up the wiring or my battery died. Opened the hood and found a bunch of damage from rats in the engine. I looked around and there was a 4 inch section of wires completely chewed out sitting on the ground.

Luckily, my insurance covers this and my deductible is only $250. I am guessing thousands of dollars in damages. Because of corona, the car hasn't been used as much and has been sitting in the driveway. It got towed away to the shop this morning. Not sure how long this repair will take.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Danged rats! I had a mouse or small rat in my XL once. The guy decided to show himself during a highway drive! Otherwise I would never have known that it was there until it ate all my wiring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts