Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The one thing I was disappointed with in my recently purchased used 2008 Santa Fe was that it did not have an audio input for an ipod or external satellite radio.

I will be switching cars with my family on certain days to save on gas mileage. I am a Sirius Satellite radio subscriber and have always used a cassette tape adapter. I was hoping to switch my satellite radio between cars, but there is no audio input or tape player to use an adapter. Just CD for both cars. I should mention that the FM transmitter is usually horrible, so I wouldn't consider that an option really.

There is an XM factory installed radio installed in the Santa Fe. Sirius said that I could have the dealer switch receivers out from XM to Sirius, but it would probably cost me. (By the way, obviously Sirius and XM have not merged on all things). I have activated the XM free 3 month trial with the best of Sirius added on in the Santa Fe.

I wanted to add an input, but the few estimates I've had are $250ish just for the Santa Fe. I would need it in both cars.

Any suggestions on how I could accomplish this for a little less cash? I also don't want to pay for 2 subscriptions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I added an aftermarket, powered, in-line radio transmitter (it goes between the antenna and the head unit, and the XM antenna plugs in to it). It works flawlessly, and the sound quality is superb. Far better than the cassette adapter I used to use. The only drawback I see (for me, and for you) is:

-while the XM unit is powered up, radio reception is greatly compromised, and,

-there is no additional input for an ipod or the like.

I bought this adapter at Best Buy for around $25. It was made specifically for XM, but there may be a similar device with a line jack input, instead of the XM antenna input, that you may be able to run to your dash (which would then work for both, using the XM or the ipod line-out jack).

Keep us posted on whatever solution you find, and Welcome to the Forum! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I hate the fact that they didn't offer AUX in on the 2007's.

I tried an FM receiver (believe it was the Belkin Tunecast III) and man was it horrible. My experience has been ... besides trying to find a good dead channel (in Toronto that is actually hard), you have to crank the volume way up. That is a problem since, if someone gets in the car and wants to listen to the radio, you can blow speakers since the volume is north of say 20.

I tend to use my MP3 and in-ear headphones but would prefer to listen via the car.

At any rate, can you please provide a brand/model of the in-line FM receiver? Also, do you need to likewise crank the volume up to hear anything or is it around the same level as the radio. When the radio is on I typically have the volume in the 10-14 range. Thanks.

belly

·
Registered
12 Posts
A couple of years ago I posted a detailed note about how I added a powered FM transmitter with an mini jack for an iPod - maybe you could find it for the details. It works pretty well, with a little noise but not objectionable. Best Buy did the job. They installed a switch next to the ESC button and installed the mini jack in the opening between the heated seat buttons in the center console. I use FM Band 2 set to a particular frequency, so all I have to do it hit the FM Band 2 button and the iPod's ready to play. With the transmitter switched on, I can't recieve AM radio (baseball games), so I just turn it off on those rare occasions when I want to listen to AM.

Neil

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (bellyman @ Apr 27 2010, 03:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317394
I hate the fact that they didn't offer AUX in on the 2007's.

I tried an FM receiver (believe it was the Belkin Tunecast III) and man was it horrible. My experience has been ... besides trying to find a good dead channel (in Toronto that is actually hard), you have to crank the volume way up. That is a problem since, if someone gets in the car and wants to listen to the radio, you can blow speakers since the volume is north of say 20.

I tend to use my MP3 and in-ear headphones but would prefer to listen via the car.

At any rate, can you please provide a brand/model of the in-line FM receiver? Also, do you need to likewise crank the volume up to hear anything or is it around the same level as the radio. When the radio is on I typically have the volume in the 10-14 range. Thanks.

belly
Denver is bad for "dead" channels as well. You can find one that works in the north end of town, but not south, and vv. PITA. Moreover, I found that the Santa Fe's antenna position was seriously NOT optimal for receiving in-cabin transmissions. I finally ditched my old FM transmitter setup. Switched to a wired unit as well. Audiovox FM-100A. Sounds just fine. Really does a serious disconnect on the external antenna, so there's never even a question about finding dead space. You tune it to one of two channels when installing it and forget about it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your ideas.

I'll have to make a trip to Best Buy and look at the powered in-line transmitter. That seems to offer good sound without dropping signal.

ThunderLizard, what is the brand?

I will not be using a wireless fm receiver in anyway. I live in Los Angeles, and you can't find any available dead channels, nor good radio stations for that matter. lol

Again, thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks to bellyman for jogging my memory on the brand of powered fm transimitter - I also used the Audiovox. But be aware that although I found an experienced tech to do the install at Best Buy, I had to bring him the parts. This required a trip to Radio Shack for the switch, and maybe even the jack. I think I bought the transmitter on-line from Crutchfield or someplace like that.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (NeilP @ Apr 29 2010, 05:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318056
Thanks to bellyman for jogging my memory on the brand of powered fm transimitter - I also used the Audiovox. But be aware that although I found an experienced tech to do the install at Best Buy, I had to bring him the parts. This required a trip to Radio Shack for the switch, and maybe even the jack. I think I bought the transmitter on-line from Crutchfield or someplace like that.
Mine came with the switch, but I preferred a different one (lighted) and bought that along with the 1/8" stereo female that I had him sub in for the RCAs.

Edit: As a side note, I had the 1/8" installed inside the bottom storage area of the center console. I had the switch installed below the ashtray between the two butt warmer switches. Looks perfect there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts