Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up about putting in an aftermarket audio system in their Elantra.

This is my poor baby last night on my way to a nice dinner... broken down on I75 Northbound!!! :crying:

This past weekend I installed a Kenwood DNX890HD receiver, 450 watt Alpine mono class D amp, 400 watt Alpine 4 channel class D amp, 12" sub, Clarion 3 channel crossover network, 1 farad Rockford Fosgate capacitor, 0 gauge amp wiring kit. And as luck would have it, my Infiniti Kappa components and rear 2 ways came in yesterday also... not yet installed though.

Apart from the door speakers, this is the exact same system I had in my 2002 Mazda 626 before I traded it in for the Elantra.

Don't know exactly what the cause is yet, haven't had time to troubleshoot, but last night on the way to dinner all of my audio turned off. Radio was on fine, but audio just cut out. (All speakers, even though stock, are running through the 4 channel amp and not the radio.) I looked down at my cluster and noticed the exclamation point flashing, EPS (Electric Power Steering?), traction control and one other LED light on. Immediately followed by a loss of power steering and fading interior lights. Pulled over to the shoulder of the interstate and turned the car off. When trying to start the car, I noticed the missing key fob light also came on. Nothing I could do.

Long story short, my pops showed up with his mobile jump kit and tools. I removed the fuse from the power wire to the capacitor, let the jump kit sit on the battery leads for a couple minutes and then started the car. Drove all the way to dinner, albeit an hour and a half late, and the car has been fine ever since. Right now, the fuse is still removed so I have no sound whatsoever but the car is the most important thing and she's driving perfect.

So it is looking like possibly the alternator is not powerful enough to charge the battery with this system in the car. It's honestly not that much power and I would not expect for this to be an issue but apparently it is. I will do some troubleshooting this weekend if I have time and see if I can find anything that could be causing this (bad ground possibly??) and report back anything I find.

In the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions for me to check, by all means, throw them my way!

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
I haven't fooled around with car audio systems in many years, but in this age of maximum efficiency (for both production cost and fuel consumption) it wouldn't surprise me if a car's alternator wasn't capable of powering anything more than what the most fully-equipped model carries with it as it leaves the factory.

Consider that the Elantra has a towing capacity of zero. Nothing to do with the charging system of course, but it says something about how minimally-constructed vehicles are today.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. Unfortunately, I have more questions than solutions... Maybe consider upgrading the battery? Double check your wiring... And try to isolate the problem by troubleshooting one item at a time. Do you think that it might be a short? It would be good to have those voltagemeters to see what the battery and the alternator are doing with full load... Good luck.

·
Registered
821 Posts
My guess is you have an issue at the cap. The alternator in the cars are rated 90amps (this is typically at peak and while cold) so figure a hot car typically able to handle something in the area of 60 amps which is also shared with all of the computers, lights and ignition system. I use a single 5 channel amp listed in my sig below driving all channels at 2 Ohms and have killed my battery with it driving at highway speeds from the greater seattle area to portland.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have an 1500watt amp, but only running on 1000w. Where is your amp power wire connected on the battery. Is it connected directly or connected to on other bolt that connects to the battery? Also get rid of that capacitor those are bad, they do more harm than good.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an 1500watt amp, but only running on 1000w. Where is your amp power wire connected on the battery. Is it connected directly or connected to on other bolt that connects to the battery? Also get rid of that capacitor those are bad, they do more harm than good.
If you have read Flatland2d's subwoofer install thread, I connected my power wire to the same place he did in his thread. It is connected to a bolt that screws into the battery.

The discussion about whether capacitors are good or bad has been debated for years. Some people hate them some people swear by them. In the end I feel they do more good than harm so that just an agreement to disagree.

Either way, I would like to know if anyone has any trouble shooting steps I could look into because if you are running 1000 watts rms, there's no way my 850 should be too much for the car.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My guess is you have an issue at the cap. The alternator in the cars are rated 90amps (this is typically at peak and while cold) so figure a hot car typically able to handle something in the area of 60 amps which is also shared with all of the computers, lights and ignition system. I use a single 5 channel amp listed in my sig below driving all channels at 2 Ohms and have killed my battery with it driving at highway speeds from the greater seattle area to portland.
You killed your battery? As in had to buy another one? What did you do to rectify the problem? Surely you aren't satisfied with buying new batteries every couple weeks. My system is currently all running at 2 ohms as we'll and it only took 3 total days of driving for the car to shut off on me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You killed your battery? As in had to buy another one? What did you do to rectify the problem? Surely you aren't satisfied with buying new batteries every couple weeks. My system is currently all running at 2 ohms as we'll and it only took 3 total days of driving for the car to shut off on me.
You must have wired your remote wrong causing the amp to be on all the time.
Edit: that picture is wrong you wired it to a fuse, I'm sure your battery is still fine let your car run without the amp connected so it can charge. Then connect it to the battery post. There is a screw that tightens the rest to the battery post connect it to that.

·
22,793 Posts
From a positive perspective, she sure looks good sitting there with the dark background. Thank goodness the hazard lights still worked, yes?

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
It may be the alternator, in the manual it says not to use the fog light if not needed to not overload the alternator.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You must have wired your remote wrong causing the amp to be on all the time.
Edit: that picture is wrong you wired it to a fuse, I'm sure your battery is still fine let your car run without the amp connected so it can charge. Then connect it to the battery post. There is a screw that tightens the rest to the battery post connect it to that.
I initially thought about the remote wire and the amps not turning off. I checked that however, and both amps turn off as soon as the car is turned off.

As far as the mounting point on the battery, I have not heard anyone who used flatland2d's guide as reporting that to be a problem. I'm not saying it's not, but in order to mount it over where you are talking about, I would have to cut a hole in the side of the plastic box around the positive terminal in order to fish the cable through. It's 0 gauge and doesn't bend easily enough to run it over and down that hole where it is now. I don't mind cutting the little box for the power cable, but I don't want to do that if indeed there's nothing truly wrong with where it is mounted now. If that makes sense?

From a positive perspective, she sure looks good sitting there with the dark background. Thank goodness the hazard lights still worked, yes?
The world be such a better place with more people like yourself! :) I love reading all of your posts. Always make me smile. :)

And truth be told... I thought the exact same thing as I was standing there.... I was like man she looks good right here. Too bad she's broken down but at least I can snap a picture of this. Cars flying by at 85+ had me terrified someone was going to lose control and kill her. Especially since there was a light rain falling at the time!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stopped on the way home and had the battery and alternator tested. Both passed with flying colors. If you notice the battery is rated at 550 amps but it actually put out 683! Definitely not my alternator or battery... so now what to test??

·
22,793 Posts
The world be such a better place with more people like yourself! :) I love reading all of your posts. Always make me smile. :)
Thank you, sir. You're too kind. My mom would have appreciated reading that comment. ;) I learned it from them.

Like I tell them when I hold a door open for the ladies, "My mom raised a gentleman...she had her doubts for a few years, but I turned out all right..." :wink2:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Stopped on the way home and had the battery and alternator tested. Both passed with flying colors. If you notice the battery is rated at 550 amps but it actually put out 683! Definitely not my alternator or battery... so now what to test??

As I said, the problem was where you mounted it. most people here don't run high power amps and if they do they connect it to the main battery post like your suppose to. Most people here have had hid problems when they ran through that connection. I drilled a hole on my box to run my 0 gauge so it looks stock.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As I said, the problem was where you mounted it. most people here don't run high power amps and if they do they connect it to the main battery post like your suppose to. Most people here have had hid problems when they ran through that connection. I drilled a hole on my box to run my 0 gauge so it looks stock.
Alright. I'm installing my infinity kappas in the front and rear this morning so I'll go ahead and move it and see if this helps. Thanks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't want to declare a victory just yet, but moving the power wire may have done the trick. As soon as I moved it, the battery light turned off and now I'm reading about 12.3 volts from the battery when playing the system. I'm gonna give it a few days before I say it's fixed though. Here's to hoping!! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts