Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have an atos prime 2001 that will turn over but won't start. I have checked the computer and fuel pump, both seem to be fine but when i turn on the ignition the pump will not pump gas. Any and all ideas for this problem will be gratefully received.

Thanks.

·
1,462 Posts
Hi,
I have an atos prime 2001 that will turn over but won't start. I have checked the computer and fuel pump, both seem to be fine but when i turn on the ignition the pump will not pump gas. Any and all ideas for this problem will be gratefully received.

Thanks.

You say you checked fuel pump and its working fine, but it doesn't pump fuel? I have to ask this: Is there any fuel in tank?

If you do have enough fuel, then you will have to rule out spark problem. Remove one of the spark plug cables (at the spark plug), then, put a long screwdriver inside plug (where spark plug connects), then place screwdriver "very close but not touching" any metal part of the engine. Crank engine for a couple of seconds (someone else may help you here) and pay attention to the screwdriver, where it almost touches the metal part in engine. There should be small sparks jumping from the screwdriver shaft to the metal part in engine. If there is none, you may have coil issues (bad, disconnected, broken, etc).

Another situation. Your car is 11 years old. Have you had your timing belt replaced? When cranking engine with starter, does it sound like "pretty loose" like there is no drag?. If so, you may have a broken timing belt. If this is the case, you may also have bigger problems, since some valves may have been bent or broken. The engine will need some extensive repair.

Let us know your findings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Robert,

i have checked for gas and spark. Also my machanic sprayed some starter fluid into the air intake and got the car to turn over proving that it is only the fact that the gas is not being pumped that is stopping it from running.
could it be that a sensor is telling the computer that there is a problem and as a result the computer is telling the pump not to pump gas? if so what sensor could it be?

Tim.

·
1,462 Posts
Hi Robert,

i have checked for gas and spark. Also my machanic sprayed some starter fluid into the air intake and got the car to turn over proving that it is only the fact that the gas is not being pumped that is stopping it from running.
could it be that a sensor is telling the computer that there is a problem and as a result the computer is telling the pump not to pump gas? if so what sensor could it be?

Tim.

Has the car been scanned for error codes? If not, do so as a first step.

You say you checked the fuel pump. How did you do this test?

Check fuel pump fuse and relay. They are most likely to be inside the engine compartment fuse and relay box.

The engine uses two sensors to know when to trigger fuel injectors and when to trigger the spark plugs. This are the Cam position Sensor and the Crank position sensor. If either one is failing, then the fuel injectors may not get triggered.

Have in mind that the sensors may be fine, but their connections can be faulty, from corrosion inside the plugs or broken cables.

If either of this two or any other sensor is bad (or its connection), there should be an error code stored in the ECM memory.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Robert,

i put a new fuel pump into the car that was woking so i know that it is not the fuel pump.
i can't put a tester onto the ECM as the car is not fitted with this capability (no engine check light in the dash) so i am running blind as far as that is concerned.
I would like to try the cam and crankshaft sensors. is this one sensor or two seprate parts?
Is this an easy thing to get access to or do you have to start pulling the engine to bits ?

thanks,

Tim.

·
1,462 Posts
Hi Robert,

i put a new fuel pump into the car that was woking so i know that it is not the fuel pump.
i can't put a tester onto the ECM as the car is not fitted with this capability (no engine check light in the dash) so i am running blind as far as that is concerned.
I would like to try the cam and crankshaft sensors. is this one sensor or two seprate parts?
Is this an easy thing to get access to or do you have to start pulling the engine to bits ?

thanks,

Tim.
Even if your car does not have the check engine light, it does have an ECM and there is an OBDii scanner plug. The connector is within the passenger compartment fuse box (see picture attached), or somewhere very close to the fuse box, above the driver's side foot well . Every single vehicle today (and since many years ago), from every single manufacturer, has the capability to plug in an automotive scanner to retrieve ECM information, such as engine, transmission and accessories operation, and especially to retrieve error codes when something goes wrong.

Both sensors are separate items and testing procedure involves removal or at least, some covers and plugs. If after testing, the crank sensor proves to be faulty, this will involve some serious disassembly.

Using a known good fuel pump is no guarantee that is working in your car. Other things like the fuel pump relay or fuse may be bad, thus not turning on a good pump when needed.

With all due respect, by your questions I presume you do not have enough knowledge to perform the needed tests, neither to say, to go ahead and replace sensors if they are bad. My suggestion is to contact a good mechanic and explain the problem. Some mechanics may be helpful enough as to go to your place and at least, test the car with an OBDii scanner, just to rule out sensor failures.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Where is located the crankshaft sensor in the G4HC motor on a hyundai atoz 40kw 2001? I've seen near the crankshaft pulley (in the G4HC-E motor type is there) without find it...any idea? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,627 Posts
Where is located the crankshaft sensor in the G4HC motor on a hyundai atoz 40kw 2001? I've seen near the crankshaft pulley (in the G4HC-E motor type is there) without find it...any idea? Thanks in advance!
It's inside the distributor.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thank you so much for the reply! i wrongly supposed that inside there, was the camshaft sensor...so, what about it? I haven't found it too

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. I have an atos. That won't start.. I have petrol coming Tru. And spark but the car won't start.. Timing mark are set according to the marks. Thanks

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,451 Posts
How long have you had this vehicle?
How many miles on it?
What if anything was done lately to the vehicle?
What about maintenance?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,627 Posts
Could valves that are NOT sealing properly cause the car to not start.?
Yes, low compression in the cylinders, for whatever reason, can cause a non start.

The other common cause of non starts when fuel and spark are present is a plugged exhaust. You could maybe try removing the upstream O2 sensor and see if that helps. If the exhaust is plugged (usually by a failed catalytic converter) removing the sensor upstream of the cat will give the exhaust gasses an escape route which should allow the engine to fire up. I'm not sure that will be that easy on the Atoz engine though.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

1 - 15 of 15 Posts