Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Santa Fe 2.7l GLS with 151,000 miles, do I fix or not. Major issues, burns oil, qt every 1-2 weeks, BIG smoke on start for about 20-30 seconds then seems to stop. Had the codes run and I have a misfire on cyl 5 and both O2 sensors. it definitely lost power. Occasionally I hear a significant knock when it is going to shift. I do not go over 3,000 RPM's anymore. If it just idles, there sounds like a light valve tick. I'm wondering if all the power, noise, ticking and knocking is related to the coils and O2 sensors and NOT something much worse. Any insight is appreciated. Greg

·
Registered
48 Posts
I heard someone mention that the 2.7L is a Mitsubishi designed engine. is there any truth to that? If so, then I do not have high hopes for reliability on the 2.7L. (or any Mitsu engine for that matter)

·
Registered
13,373 Posts
I heard someone mention that the 2.7L is a Mitsubishi designed engine. is there any truth to that? If so, then I do not have high hopes for reliability on the 2.7L. (or any Mitsu engine for that matter)

Almost all Hyundai engines are based on Mitsubishi designs. Or, they were. The don't copy them bit for bit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well it is most likely your oil burning issues are the cause of your o2 sensor problems. Might also have a catalytic converter problem based on the power loss and oil burning. I would do a compression test on your cyl 5. I am inclined to think all of your issues may be coming from there.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I don't recall if there is a PCV valve on these engines, but if there is, it might be stuck open. Pull the hose off the valve and check for oil inside it. Also, pull the hose off the PCV intake side and check likewise. I've seen this on other cars, although not recently.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Almost all Hyundai engines are based on Mitsubishi designs. Or, they were. The don't copy them bit for bit.
Thanks. I know Hyundai/Kia liked to rip off the exterior designs of vehicles from other manufacturers, but didn't realize they did the same for much of the engines.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Thanks. I know Hyundai/Kia liked to rip off the exterior designs of vehicles from other manufacturers, but didn't realize they did the same for much of the engines.
I'm not sure Hyundai "stole" the engine design from Mitsu, but it's possible they collaborated with another manufacturer when designing and developing it.

Crossover development brought us many good engines, such as some of the engines and transmissions that Chrysler has used in the recent past. The three liter V6 was a Mitsu design which ran very well for the first hundred thousand miles or so, until it started developing oil control problems around the seals at the ends of the valve shafts and around the valve stems. Those engines were great in several cars I've owned ('92 Dynasty, '98 Voyager) and it was disappointing to see some of the problems we all knew were coming.

Same thing for the Chrysler Ultradrive transaxles they codeveloped with Mitsu. Rumor has it that Hyundai/Kia and Mitsubishi developed the four speed automatic used with the 2.7 V6 engines and that's why the proper transmission fluid was called "Diamond 3" or "SP3" fluid.

Thank goodness engine technology has gotten past those designs. It's getting more rare to see an oil burner than it once was.

·
Registered
13,373 Posts

Sometimes I think others stole from Hyundai! Look at the current crop of Fords.

Got snow?

Mine looks quite a bit nicer than that...

·
Registered
882 Posts
I will replace PCV valve first, since the high pressure may push the oil go through the seal to the cylinders. Remove the front 3 ignition coils and see if there's any oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts