Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
as title, at how many km/miles do you usually change your spark plugs?

I started to have problems that seems related to spark plugs. The fuel economy is worsened a lot, the engine hiccuping at cold, the engine loss power and torque. All these symptoms lead to worn plugs.

Actually i have the oem version NGK BKR5ES-11 with 30.000 km. NGK (https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9320) tells that the Longevity is 30k but not the scale (if km or miles)!

For me it's still too early for them to be worn out, but the engine is not running good...

If I remember correctly someone here uses the bosch. The Bosch Replacement is FR8DCX+. Does anyone have experiences on this? They are sold as long duration, but are Nickel based as the NGK, so i don't think that can last longer than the NGK.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I went with NGK Iridium plugs on recommendations from the forums, they're supposed to be good for 100k miles, I had bought the car with 26k miles and was replacing just about everything at the time. The copper plugs these come with I think are good for 30k mile.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
30,000 USA miles,, I call them "lawn mower" plugs,, Hyundai went cheap with Accent,, likely same for Rio..

Coils been crap shoot,, misfires dont take long to kill Hyundai-Kia catalyst

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you want to change them, do it. The symptoms you describe are more likely to be other issues.

And what do you think it can be?

I did compression tests not long ago and it was perfect. The engine does not burn oil. Now i'm at 6.000km from the oil change and i still not added it. The tapping noise of hydraulic lifter goes away after 10/15 seconds from cold start, so the valve opens good. I put injector cleaner 15.000 km ago. The coil pack is new from 30.000 km (i don't have the coil on plug version but the coil pack version) and i also replaced the coil wires 30.000km ago.

·
Registered
866 Posts
OEM NGK copper plugs should be changed every 40K miles, for best results.

Platinum/Double platinum plugs are every 60K miles
Iridium plugs are every 100K miles

Personally when I had my accent, I continued to use the OEM copper plugs every 40K miles, then you know they won't be seized in at 100K miles, or pull the threads out of the aluminum head.

Duro

·
Registered
9 Posts
OEM NGK copper plugs should be changed every 40K miles, for best results.

Platinum/Double platinum plugs are every 60K miles
Iridium plugs are every 100K miles

Personally when I had my accent, I continued to use the OEM copper plugs every 40K miles, then you know they won't be seized in at 100K miles, or pull the threads out of the aluminum head.

Duro

NGK Iridiums here. The key is to use a light coating of anti-seize. Also if you can, use a marine-type anti-seize. It is a plastic-base, so you won't have any issues with galvanic corrosion and it won't damage any threads. I would say use aluminum-base anti-seize, but after seeing the permetex brand uses copper as a component in it (yes the silver aluminum based one), it would probably corrode the aluminum threads, as copper is the more nobel metal.

Again, a very light coating will do.

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,842 Posts
I went to the Denso IK16TT gap at .038". Last plug change for the old girl more than likely.

I prefer the twin tip iridium plugs from Denso. The twin tip refers to twin iridium pads on the electrodes.

60k miles on these from my Gen Coupe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts