Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
I'm looking for some input to resolve a new issue with my Hyundai Accent 2007. All of a sudden the check engine came on and it now has 21 errors. Driving to the gym this morning it was fine, driving to lunch and the light came on. I guess this means you shouldn't go to the gym.

Check engine error codes
P0300 - random misfire detected
P0301 - cylinder 1 misfire detected
P0302 - cylinder 2 misfire detected
P2188 - system too rich at idle bank1
P0450 - EVAP Emission System Pressure Sensor
P0446 - EVAP Emission System Vent Control Valve Open Circuit
P0134 - O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected Bank 1 Sensor 1
about half of these were repeated to get to the 21 errors

The car has 175K miles, the timing belt was replaced about 50K miles back when it broke, the fuel pump also replaced about the same time. There has been little to no real issues with the car.

Over the past month, weird, but when I fill up the tank (I usually run it low then a full fill up) the car has problem starting up at the gas station. It would start then stall. To get past this I rev the car up to 1000rpm for 30secs then I'm good. It has happened with my last couple fill ups. No problems while running the tank down.

I don't believe that multiple knock sensors and coil packs all died today. I imagine it is something further up the chain. Does it make sense to to start at the ECM?

Thanks!
Rich.

·
Registered
11,926 Posts
Does it make sense to to start at the ECM?
No.

vegastech said:
Over the past month, weird, but when I fill up the tank the car has problem starting up at the gas station. It would start then stall.
This is often a symptom of a leaking fuel tank purge control valve, which would also explain the EVAP trouble codes, and the fuel system too rich code. And since it's ultimately a vacuum leak I suppose it could also cause misfires too.

Check your purge control valve to see if it's leaking (jammed open).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks! I'm looking for the part now. I see a PCV for the canister is that it? I don't think so but there are limited links for a fuel tank PCV. And most searches are showing me a Positive Crankcase Ventilation not a purge control valve.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
The purge control valve is sometimes found near the in-take plenum
One end has a hose from the rear where the charcoal canister resides
The other end goes into the plenum.
The valve is normally closed.
If stuck open will often give problems starting after fill up.

No activity for O2 sensor? should check that out
Check wiring to and from sensor to make sure no shorts or opens ... frays

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Yeah, but only if he still has an issue after fixing the evap problem. How do we know the O2 code isn't just another symptom rather than another fault.
The Evap should have nothing to do with the O2 sensors????!!!
No activity suggest the O2 sensor is dead
If engine is running then revving rpm up and down should make the O2 sensor respond
Nothing the Evap system does should affect the O2 to have no activity (other than engine not starting or running)

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
The hose that connects the valve to the throttle body area will probably be destroyed when removing it. Best to get some replacment hose before tearing it apart.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the input guys!
They had the part at my local Oreilly's for $65. I did see it on eBay for $20ish but it was worth it to just git er done.
Surprisingly, I did not need to replace my 12yr old hoses even though I live in the desert. The job was straight forward except for my gorilla hands causing headaches. I swapped the purge control, cleared the check engine light and drove it for 60+ miles today. No new check engine lights. I do want to check the OBD to see if there are any non-critical messages - like the O2 sensor discussion above.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any way to change the title to "[SOLVED] Purge Control " ? I edited the title once but either too much activity in this thread or is there a one time only edit ?

·
Registered
11,926 Posts
The Evap should have nothing to do with the O2 sensors????!!!
Why do you always make a statement then place question marks after it?
Was that supposed to be a question or are you stating a fact?

avisitor said:
No activity suggest the O2 sensor is dead
If P0134 was the only code then I might agree with you. That's not the case here though.

avisitor said:
If engine is running then revving rpm up and down should make the O2 sensor respond
Yes, that's what should happen when there are no faults and everything is as it should be. But we have evidence of a possible purge valve leak in this case, so I think we have to consider the possibility that the 134 code is a symptom of that leak.

Let's just watch the thread and see what happens after the OP has replaced the purge valve and cleared the codes. Maybe he will post back to tell us the 134 code has been logged again on it's own, in which case he would diagnose it as a fault at that point. Let's try to learn something from the OP's experience.

·
Registered
11,926 Posts
Any way to change the title to "[SOLVED] Purge Control " ? I edited the title once but either too much activity in this thread or is there a one time only edit ?
There is a time limit on when you can edit a post. Once that time has passed you need to ask one of the forum moderators to edit it for you.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Why do you always make a statement then place question marks after it?
Was that supposed to be a question or are you stating a fact?
It was what I believed to be true but am learning

If P0134 was the only code then I might agree with you. That's not the case here though. Yes, that's what should happen when there are no faults and everything is as it should be. But we have evidence of a possible purge valve leak in this case, so I think we have to consider the possibility that the 134 code is a symptom of that leak.

Let's just watch the thread and see what happens after the OP has replaced the purge valve and cleared the codes. Maybe he will post back to tell us the 134 code has been logged again on it's own, in which case he would diagnose it as a fault at that point. Let's try to learn something from the OP's experience.
See still learning.
OP said it is fixed and no light came back.
Guess you were right again

·
Registered
11,926 Posts
It was what I believed to be true but am learning
OK, got you.
Something along the lines of.... "I don't understand your logic here AUTOSPARK. How does a leaking purge valve effect the O2 sensors?"....would be much clearer to me. You'll see me ask questions just like that on the forum when I don't understand something. Usually when grcauto says something that sounds totally illogical :unsure:

avisitor said:
See still learning.
Yeah, English and engine diagnostics in the same thread :D

avisitor said:
OP said it is fixed and no light came back.
Guess you were right again
Yeah, good educated guess wasn't it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I stopped by Oreilly's for another OBD check. No Check engine has returned. I'm just following through. They use a Bosch OBD reader, much better than my crappy $20 Autel reader (never buy this).

Bosch read shows:
Since Last Clear
* O2 sensor shows INC (incomplete)
This Drive Cycle
  • Evap shows INC (incomplete)
  • Cat shows INC (incomplete)
First, a rant: really? an 'incomplete test' message, shouldn't it just be PASS/FAIL?
I'm guessing 'This Drive Cycle' is since I turned the car on and drove .5 mile for the check. Also these errors don't show in the 'Since cleared' section. I'm also wondering if the Oreilly's person should have just left the device run. It did run for at least 2mins though.

As is, I'll probably order an O2 sensor. I'm not sure if I replaced it 50K miles ago (or never).
Consider this post CLOSED! Thanks to everyone!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I stopped by Oreilly's for another OBD check. No Check engine has returned. I'm just following through. They use a Bosch OBD reader, much better than my crappy $20 Autel reader (never buy this).

Bosch read shows:
Since Last Clear
* O2 sensor shows INC (incomplete)
This Drive Cycle
  • Evap shows INC (incomplete)
  • Cat shows INC (incomplete)
First, a rant: really? an 'incomplete test' message, shouldn't it just be PASS/FAIL?
I'm guessing 'This Drive Cycle' is since I turned the car on and drove .5 mile for the check. Also these errors don't show in the 'Since cleared' section. I'm also wondering if the Oreilly's person should have just left the device run. It did run for at least 2mins though.

As is, I'll probably order an O2 sensor. I'm not sure if I replaced it 50K miles ago (or never).
Consider this post CLOSED! Thanks to everyone!
Those are the emissions readiness monitors. It is absolutely normal for those to show as "Incomplete" when DTCs were recently cleared. Do not replace your O2 sensor because of this. They will eventually all show as "Ready" after the car has gone through whatever Hyundai has determined is a complete drive cycle. Usually, this involves somthing like driving around your neighborhood at low speeds and stopping a few times, on local roads at intermediate speeds, and at least once on a highway at 60+ mph. Depending on the car, it can take 20-30 minutes of driving or more to have all the readiness monitors ready.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
5 Participants
rustyaccent
Hyundai Forums
Hyundai Forum is a community for all Hyundai Owners to talk and learn all about their favorite subject: Hyundai cars from the Sonata to the Elantra and even the new Kona!
Full Forum Listing